My poor bike, I pulled stupid move today, now paying for it.

So...the other day my girlfriend got a new bike and was getting antsy to take it out for a spin. So we decide to go for a quick ride before we went to work this afternoon. We went out to a little off-road park that is real close to my house. I don't like riding out there due too a lot of people I know getting hurt, and the terrain being really hard on tires. The area is mostly hard pack, with some gravel and larger rocks, but we were pressed for time and it sounded fun at the time. It is mostly geared towards quads and 4x4's.

So we unloaded the bikes and rode for about 30 minutes, not having much fun, but better than not riding at all. Haha Well, due to my boredom I think this will be a good time to practice a few wheelies. I'm not really good at wheelies, but I have been getting some tips and trying them every so often. I was getting to the point of being able to loft the front wheel and maintain it for a bit in 2nd gear. Well, I got cocky and figured I would try to see if it was just as easy in 3rd. So I am trucking right along, and give her some gas over a little bump front wheel comes up nicely, but I slam into a pothole and panic grab the throttle, well...you can probably guess what happened. Bike keeps accelerating and I get thrown off the rear end. Slid for quite a ways on my chest and did 3 complete rolls before ending up on my back. So I jump up, run over to my bike and pick it up when I realize "Damn! My foot hurts...oh and my elbow! Oh and my knee!" :thumbsup:

Turns out I re-broke my big toe on my left foot, severely bruised my right knee, and got some good road rash on my arms and elbows. Could have been a lot worse. I cracked my right knee pad in half and tore the toe cap off my right boot. I should have been wearing my elbow guards, last time that I won't, could have saved me from a lot of pain. Very thankful for the rest of my gear. Sliding on gravel and fist size rocks is no fun. :confused:

Now for the bike damage...bent handle bars, , nearly ripped the bar clamp out of the mount, bent head pipe, melted skid plate, broken trip meter, torn grip, torn brake lever boot, dented silencer, deeply scratched headlight housing, and a huge gouge in my side plate.

Needless to say I feel like a dumb ass and I know better than to try something out of my ability range, especially under questionable conditions. Good news is that the bike started right up and I could ride it back to the truck. I'm out of action for at least 2 weeks and the bike for who knows how long. Looks like I am gonna be spending some cash. Thanks for listening to my long post about me being a dummy. Tips and advice welcome.

Edited by Rogue450X

You're looking at it all wrong. Now you have justification to upgrade all those weak parts you just damaged. Bummer 'bout get'n hurt though...that just sucks. Maybe upgrade the safety gear too.

Did ya get any sympathy from the GF? Gotta work that one, since it was OBVIOUSLY her fault!

Haha, good point man. I just get a head start on mods, most of this stuff I was looking to replace anyhow, just not all at one time! I am really surprised I wasn't hurt worse after seeing how my bike came out of the whole thing. The GF was cool about it. I think she was glad I didn't wreck her bike as I was riding it about 5 minutes prior to me taking my spill. She called me a dumb ass, but was pretty nice about the whole thing. Loaded the bikes and drove me to the immediate care place. Which really didn't live up to it's name lemme tell ya. I got there at 1:30 and left at 5.

Sounds like my weekly parts list lol

lol Well, I don't want that to be my weekly parts list lemme tell ya. I'm too old and too poor to do this every time I ride. :thumbsup:

kinda the same story, i was messing around with my wife in some mud at my house just putting so took my goggles off so i could see then a buddy of mine shows up to ride so we ride for a couple hours and we where riding back to my house following the railroad tracks so i thought i would practice my wheelies in 2nd got the front wheel up feathered the throttle a little and WHAM back tire hits a big rock and a grabbed a huge handful of throttle bike kicked sideways and proceeded to use me as a skid plate

tore off all the latches off my boot, minor rash,broke two fingers, tore a hole in my header bent the crap out of my peg and the worst part my bike kicked up a large rock and hit me in the eye massive black eye and i had to listen to the wife make fun of me for a week bout how dumb i was :thumbsup:

kinda the same story, i was messing around with my wife in some mud at my house just putting so took my goggles off so i could see then a buddy of mine shows up to ride so we ride for a couple hours and we where riding back to my house following the railroad tracks so i thought i would practice my wheelies in 2nd got the front wheel up feathered the throttle a little and WHAM back tire hits a big rock and a grabbed a huge handful of throttle bike kicked sideways and proceeded to use me as a skid plate

tore off all the latches off my boot, minor rash,broke two fingers, tore a hole in my header bent the crap out of my peg and the worst part my bike kicked up a large rock and hit me in the eye massive black eye and i had to listen to the wife make fun of me for a week bout how dumb i was :thumbsup:

Ouch man, but I'm glad to see I'm not the only one.

Threads merged - Please do not post the same thread in multiple forums.

Glad you are up and moving. I was on a YZ490 back in the 1980's wheelying in its highest gear when I did your exact thing so I got to spend time in hospital for it.

Back then, I did not know the value of riding gear beyond a helmet so every part of me but my head was thrashed/rashed. You have learned your lesson well Grasshopper, and live to ride another day.

I've got an oem odome and cable I'll sell you. Give me a pm holler.

I have some stuff available too if you need. I have stock bars, also a set of Pro Taper oversized bars. Stock triple clamps (upper and lower) the upper has the Scott's submount rizers for oversized bars. I also have the odometer, but sounds like you have a line on that. I also have the stock bar riser and also a set of Pro Taper oversized bar risers (used pre-stabalizer setup). let me know if you need any of this stuff.

Also you can have my old side plate. Let me know which side and pay for shipping. It's scratched but not "gouged" :thumbsup: Might do you until you get some new plastics.

Glad that you came out of it as good as you did.....I have seen more wrecks and crashes on gravel than anyplace else.....I have had riders make fun on me when I put on my elbow guards and knee guards....but if you go down....they are priceless....get well soon........

Thanks guys, much appreciated. I am real sore today, but at least I can walk, albeit with a limp. Haha I am really, really really thankful that I was wearing the gear that I was, just would have rather had elbow guards. I really appreciate the line on parts. I will pm you guys.

You're looking at it all wrong. Now you have justification to upgrade all those weak parts you just damaged. Bummer 'bout get'n hurt though...that just sucks. Maybe upgrade the safety gear too.

Did ya get any sympathy from the GF? Gotta work that one, since it was OBVIOUSLY her fault!

I agree with this guy!

The good thing is, scratched skin is replaceable, plastic doesn't matter, parts are replaceable. Losing a leg, arm, or ability to ride anymore is a different story. Falls happen....wheelie falls happen; everyone has to find out the hard way eventually. Hope you feel better in the meantime!

Plastic "skid plate" is a hilarious concept first of all. I had to do a double take when you said it melted. I forgot they came plastic :thumbsup: You should replace the skid plate with something sturdy and aluminum.

If the exhaust is stock, then you did a favor by giving yourself an excuse to buy a better exhaust (read the threads as to who likes which brand).

Atleast you didn't rip off or severly damage a radiator, because that would be worthy of a kick in the ass!

Welcome to the aftermarket!

Oh, and wound pics or gf pics are always welcome too!

I will post some wound pics ASAP, girlfriend would stomp my broken toe if I posted pics of her. Haha Yeah I agree, the plastic skidplate is garbage. This is just making me spend a wee bit more money than I had anticipated, but such is the nature of the beast. Good times! :thumbsup:

1. More safety gear

2. More riding practice, or less riding

1. More safety gear

2. More riding practice, or less riding

Agreed, thanks for the tip. I wish I would have had the presence of mind to grab the clutch or wear my elbow guards, but hindsight is always 20/20.

:thumbsup::thumbsup: bajabinder your clarity is amazing:thumbsup::confused: Nothing more can be said except HEAL UP FAST! (and oh by the way I've been through this before and hope it never happens again):busted::lol::worthy:

Thanks guys, much appreciated. I am real sore today, but at least I can walk, albeit with a limp. Haha I am really, really really thankful that I was wearing the gear that I was, just would have rather had elbow guards. I really appreciate the line on parts. I will pm you guys.

Did you go to the Sportman's park in Keno? I got hurt there 6 or 7 years ago on their hard pack, rock garden of an MX track. I lost traction on the face of a jump and cased it. I messed up my shoulder but mostly my ego was hurt. The old guy that ran that place used to charge $4 a day. The price was right I guess.

Edit: I guessed it was the Sportsmans park because I figure you were near the Rogue River and it fit your description.