Sign in to follow this  

New project in the Skunkworks - DRZ400E

I have had a hankering for another motard since I sold my Duke2. I have been looking around for a bargain as $$$ are tight. I spoke to the Good Wife and we agreed that If I sold some excess components out of the shed I could do what I like as long as it was out of the sale of quality stuff aka Junk. The penny dropped shortly afterwards when she asked me if she just okayed me to buy another bike. Yep!!! I said happily .

I found a stunning KTM 2003 Supermoto with 7.700k's and was busy ebaying and came up about $1000 short. While still looking, I was chatting to an Inmate on Advrider and he had a DRZ400e with a blown bottom end he was parting out. I was a week late as the front end, forks & tripples, were gone, but I was welcome to take the rest. this included a new Crankshaft, high quality valves, spring kit, cam chain and engine bearings. Which he had purchased from Eddie.

I went over one Saturday morning and placed the items in the back of the Disco and happily trundled off home with the booty.

931464770_tYDS2-XL.jpg

931468834_6drWF-XL.jpg

931465951_49ZjE-XL.jpg

The Piston Barrel is Kaput so need a kit now as well.

931463424_QKea2-XL.jpg

I recently won a front end off ebay which came to the Skunkworks from Townsville. The Previous Owner had installed RM forks on his 2008 DRZ.

968148058_LMt5w-O.jpg

After much effort and assistance from OldDog, mate from Cobar, the swingarm pivot was removed, which had seized in there pretty tightly, and the engine was removed from the frame.

I was originally aiming at a Motard, but now will get it ready for off road. So I am looking at a lot of options to get it sorted and back together.

I have a leg issue and dont use the rear brake and have been cosidering a Rekluse Z-start and Left Hand rear Brake.

With some of the parts already supplied, I went looking for a 434cc piston kit, viola JE Piston, new Barrel and gaskets from eBay usa for $426 delivered. I will have a bit of work carried out on the head while I am fitting the new valves.

Time to get busy and survey what I have, so out with the Camera.

As it sits on the Stand, pretty grubby. I will get the Karcher onto it shortly.

dsc00928-XL.jpg

Well I have 2 Banana's for Radiators. I will try to source some bigger capacity Rads. Probably work out cheaper than buy genuine stockers.

dsc00929-XL.jpg

Here is the 39mm Flat Slide :thumbsup:

dsc00931-XL.jpg

Looks like the Crank may have got a little Hot!!! Good thing it came with a new one

dsc00936-XL.jpg

Also appears to have been some movemnet in the crank, how else can one explain this??

dsc00938-XL.jpg

dsc00939-XL.jpg

Camshafts look to be okay, so will keep them stock. The 'E' cams are pretty good out of the box I hear.

dsc00935-XL.jpg

Probably the biggest challenge is going to be puting something back together that I didnt pull apart. I have the manuals and they will be getting a thorough reading!!

So whilst researching Rekluse there is a new EXP Clutch about to be released. I will order a right hand rear brake.

My next Question is where do I buy Larger more efficient radiators for mt DRZ400e??

Fluidyne makes a set of upgraded rads

Thanks Bobbed :thumbsup:

I looked on the Fluidyne web site but could fnd them there, found them with a google search.

Who make 1mm bigger inlet Valves?

nothing wrong with those rads mine were like that for years, bike also never overheated with stock ones

Im not 100% sure but one looks to be leaking, I will get themn checked but want better cooling as I am playing with the head as well.

Im unsure why the bike lunched it engine, but it made a mess of it!

We get a fair bit hotter down here than in Canada

Hey pezz, its Jake.

Didnt know one of the rads was leaking as i never put fluid in em', but having done a few DRZ radiators before, they can usually get fixed cheap by radiator shops.

No doubt the DRZ's cooling system is way over specified, they never overheat unless you're in real slow tight single track.

They did increase the diameter of the hoses & pipes in later models though.

Hmm it'll be a beast with RHC cams, bigger valves & that big bore kit :thumbsup:

Hey pezz, its Jake.

Didnt know one of the rads was leaking as i never put fluid in em', but having done a few DRZ radiators before, they can usually get fixed cheap by radiator shops.

No doubt the DRZ's cooling system is way over specified, they never overheat unless you're in real slow tight single track.

They did increase the diameter of the hoses & pipes in later models though.

Hmm it'll be a beast with RHC cams, bigger valves & that big bore kit :worthy:

G'day Jake,

Im totally cool about the Rads! :thumbsup:

Just if I was going to replace anything I will optimise

Been looking at the Stroker crank too :confused:

Looks like you got a nice project ahead of you - good luck:thumbsup:

Just thought I'd mention (but could be wrong) that the blue'ing of the crank can be normal for the DRZ. I think it's something to do with the crank build process.

Looks like you could make something nice out of that!

Well got a free 30 minutes and decided to start the deconstruct.

They come apart easy, the other way will takle a bit more time

It went from this

DSC00928-XL.jpg

To this

DSC00940-XL.jpg

To this

DSC00947-XL.jpg

So where am I up too with this?

Well the frame is now bare and going to get painted black.

The swingarm is going to have the same mod that was done on Kevin Schwantz's DRZ400 Australian Safari Bike which will give me 300mm rear suspension travel.

I have ordered a heap of new parts, including a 4mm stroker crank. This will take the engine out to 462cc. I will stick with the stock 39mm Flatslide as I am more interested in tourque than out and out top end power.

I have also ordered some Fluidyne rads as well.

I have a 2 day ride in October so now have a deadline for that :thumbsup:

Details on the swingarm mod please??

The link dog bones are shortened about 5-6mm and where they mount on the swingarm is also shortened.

Radiator Questions:

Warp 9 Radiators? any good?

They seem like very good value?

Anyone using them?

Can you still fit the Rad guards if you have these fitted?