drz400sm fork oil?!?!

Hi Guys

just wondering what fork oil you guys are using and what affect it has on the ride?

thankyou!:thumbsup:

5w belray.

7.5w But I'd benefit more from changing spring rate

Motul 10w. Made it slightly firmer.

Been playing around with the the "compression" & "rebound" clickers.

Compression = 17 out

Rebound = 6 out(stock)

Motul 10w. Made it slightly firmer.

Been playing around with the the "compression" & "rebound" clickers.

Compression = 17 out

Rebound = 6 out(stock)

is that a sm fork or what?

stock is --> reb 17 out / comp 13 out

i would not put anything thicker than stock (sae 5w / iso 15-16)

imho the way to go is a fine tuned shim stack , springs and oil are fine for street riding without big jumps. with harder springs the rear shock would be even softer

why are you suggesting sae 7.5 or 10w? are you bottoming the fork?

with 6 clicks out + sae 10w rebound should be very slow , are you sure about these numbers?

is that a sm fork or what?

Neither. These are for a bicycle fork.:confused:

stock is --> reb 17 out / comp 13 out

i would not put anything thicker than stock (sae 5w / iso 15-16)

imho the way to go is a fine tuned shim stack , springs and oil are fine for street riding without big jumps. with harder springs the rear shock would be even softer

I'm glad that's working out for you!:thumbsup:

why are you suggesting sae 7.5 or 10w? are you bottoming the fork?

with 6 clicks out + sae 10w rebound should be very slow , are you sure about these numbers?

Please re-read his original post, and re-read mine. I don't think ANYONE has suggested anything on here.:worthy:

Thanks for this input guys. So is it as simple as, putting a thicker oil in the forks would say...make the forks dive less when under front breaking?

Thanks for this input guys. So is it as simple as, putting a thicker oil in the forks would say...make the forks dive less when under front breaking?

Not less but it will act slower.

Yup. Thicker oil is harder to push through the valve stack.

respringing your suspension to your weight will be the best thing for your front end diving problem

5w Belray. I'm in the process of rebuilding my forks. May try Belray 7w. I'm a little heavy for my springs, 7w will be a band aid till i loose a couple pounds. :worthy:

Mike :thumbsup::confused:

respringing your suspension to your weight will be the best thing for your front end diving problem

... if he resprings rear shock too.

an harder fork will be higher in the bends, slowing down handling and causing the bike to run wider. less dive but also new problems to solve

@scom_01

for less travel you need new springs

for slower dive you need to add clicks to the compression adjuster on the top cap.

i suggest to put a zip tie , so you can measure the travel usage. new springs are needed if you bottom the fork (more than 230mm at the end of every ride).

if it doesn't happen stock springs are fine for you.

Edited by 30x26
... if he resprings rear shock too.

an harder fork will be higher in the bends, slowing down handling and causing the bike to run wider. less dive but also new problems to solve

@scom_01

for less travel you need new springs

for slower dive you need to add clicks to the compression adjuster on the top cap.

i suggest to put a zip tie , so you can measure the travel usage. new springs are needed if you bottom the fork (more than 230mm at the end of every ride).

if it doesn't happen stock springs are fine for you.

that was a really big help. thankyou a lot!:thumbsup: i dont think my springs bottom when i ride. highly doubt it, i'll test it out tomorrow. these clicks you are talking about, would this be in the FAQ?