Giving away 1984 CR 125 (pics)

To my 17 yr old daughter when it is done.

Started working on it about 2 months ago. I have never done a restore (top to bottom) so am learning as I go.

Paid $180 for this from local Craigslist (it was advertized for $250 non runner)

When it came home pic

14-1.jpg

Close up of engine

downsized_0331012051.jpg

Taken down to the frame

downsized_0405012023.jpg

This is Scarlet, she grew up on a pw50 and moved on to a xr50. She raced some MX & Harescrambles as a peewee.

Recently had a KX60 that she rode for a while (after not riding for quite a few yrs). So picked up the CR125 so she can have her own bike. She is super excited.

downsized_0717001615.jpg

Frame done, motor done

0422011958.jpg

Will put a few more pics later as I have the shock, forks, etc on the bike now.

Awsome bike, and reson for the build. One of may favorite bikes was my '84, I bought it blown up, worked all summer during high school building a garage and hobby room attached to the house For my great aunt to get the money to rebuild it and I ended up making more money than I thought I would so I did it up all new plastics, bars, levers, cables, motor rebuild, DG pipe all the good stuff and a new set of gear, very rewarding in the end and it ripped damn near as fast as my buddies '98.

Now if only I had a way to pull pictures from the stone age digital camera with floppy disks:bonk:

Mavica? I had one when they first came out. Pretty cool camera, for the time. It would do a 15 second video per floppy. ?

You can either get a very decent digi for ~$80, or get a $30 USB floppy drive for your current PC (or get an internal floppy...they are very inexpensive if used, probably free)

More pics

The bike was stripped of brake calip, hose, cyl, disc, etc when I got it. I bought a parts bike 1986 CR (stripped) from craigs for $50 and was able to use the brake system on that bike. When there I found out the guy was a restore nut and had lots of old CR stuff. He ended up selling me front & rear gold rims for another $50 bucks. These are not from an 1984 125 CR as when I went to put on the front the axle size was diff.. i have a buddy at a machine shop and he fabbed a new axle that would work in the fork clamp/threads and gold rim.

the back rim uses the same axle that is from the bike. the forks are just resting in the clamps and need pushed up some still.

downsized_0505011557a.jpg

The shock was missing the bump stop, so I found a new one and installed, changed oil & charged with nitrogen. I got it filled after finding nitro from local tire shop. It was funny I called the motorcycle shop and they didn't have nitrogen. I wonder how they service the shocks??

downsized_0505011601.jpg

Hose clamps hold the shock cartrage in place. I got some oem rubber bumpers and put on. These rest against the frame & cartrage. I got new hose clamps but didn't want to scratch the paint so wrapped the in rubber electrical tape. I then cut off excess hose clamp takeup

0505011621.jpg

The air box had a rats nest in it (or mice) and they had made their way to the mouth of the carb. I cleaned the air box of grease/mud & poo and then onto the carb. It was a little gummy but not bad.

downsized_0505011709a.jpg

downsized_0505011709.jpg

This is where I'm at now, still along way 2 go, but I have everything to put back together. Just need to do a lot of cleaning, etc, re-dues, etc.

I'm still looking for a swingarm chain slider and may have to bite the bullet and buy a new $59.00 one...grr

I may try and see if I can get it to run this weekend. Depends on how much time I have to spend with momma.

downsized_0505011710.jpg

Mavica? I had one when they first came out. Pretty cool camera, for the time. It would do a 15 second video per floppy. ?

You can either get a very decent digi for ~$80, or get a $30 USB floppy drive for your current PC (or get an internal floppy...they are very inexpensive if used, probably free)

Yup it was the mavica I deff got good use out of it I'll have to look up some of those products you mentioned, and I know my mother in law still has a CPU with floppy drive so maybe mothers day.

Bike is coming along nice, I forgot all about the shock resivior being held to the frame like that.

Mothers day went well, and had a few hrs in the barn to work on Scarlet's CR

Main goal was to hear it run as it was a foot dragger when it came home.

New carb hoses...I know one of the hose's isn't routed right, but there is a reason for that.

downsized_0508011351.jpg

Got the radiator and hoses on. Hooked up the wiring.

downsized_0508011352a.jpg

Cleaned up the pipe and installed..

downsized_0508011607a.jpg

Then I set tank on and juiced up the carb. (I bought a cyl. and piston from eric gorr out of garage sale items and had put that on).

Kicked it over once and it fired up and stalled. I was in shock that it fired right up. kicked some more and no go. fiddled some more and it fired up. It sounded rough and would not idle, so I shut it off and went to the manual and figured the adjustments to the carb to be made. Fired up again and messed with the air screw and idle and it sound good along with the ability to idle.

Only issue is there is some slight pinging. Is that normal on older bikes or will it go away after break in?

Overall I was happy with results and am about 7-14 days away from having it done.

downsized_0508011608.jpg