Sign in to follow this  

1987 kx125 body/plastics swap.

Hi, first post here. I bought a 1987 kx125 a few weeks ago, runs/rides fine, plastic is pretty beat. I'm ordering all new plastic, but for the rad shroud.. Instead of sticking with the single (left side) shroud could I replace the tank with something from the early 90's to allow 2 shrouds? I know there is no reason, other than aesthetics, but I'm picky and I like improving/modifying stuff. If anyone can share some knowledge on this it would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: I was just looking at some 87 250's and notice they have the dual shroud.. That tank fit on a 125?

Edited by SKN_TTK

i have an 87 kx250 parts bike. as for it having a 2 piece shroud, it does not. does the 125 have a one piece tank/shroud? as for fitting onto an 87 125, im not sure. you could look up and try to cross referance on bikebandit.com or somewhere. according to the diagram, the 87 kx125 only has one radiator and shroud. putting a 250 tank and shrouds would take some work and to look right, you would have to find the radiators, make them both fit and funtion. im sure it can be done but with some work.

1990 ad newer have a perimeter frame, not the single top tube like you have. It will NOT work.

You are looking at a LOT of work to get an '80's style 250 tank, radiators, hoses, mounts, etc. to go on your bike.

bansheedave, are you planning a rebuild for your 1987 KX250? Do you have a good runnign model, in addition to the parts bke? I am slowly working on one.

1990 ad newer have a perimeter frame, not the single top tube like you have. It will NOT work.

You are looking at a LOT of work to get an '80's style 250 tank, radiators, hoses, mounts, etc. to go on your bike.

bansheedave, are you planning a rebuild for your 1987 KX250? Do you have a good runnign model, in addition to the parts bke? I am slowly working on one.

i had an awsome running bike, but i ended up selling it. the parts bike i have was supposed to go with the runner but the guy never came back to get it. if i wanted to spend the money, i could put it together and have another running 87 but the parts are hard to come by and im to involved in my 94. what parts are you in need of? chances are i have them.

I remember seeing the 1990 KX250 Perimeter frame in the bike mags, then on the showroom floor and at the track. They were nice bikes, if I was to get rid of my RM I would go back to a KX250 because of the way they tract so straight and the bike feels light/stable at the same time if that makes since. Plus, they have a lot of torque, my RM250 does not have the bottom end KX's have.

i think the 88 was the same but the 88 250 might just fit

86/87 KX250 would be the only realistic swap.

The 88+ KX250 is quite different to both the 86/87 KX250 and the 87 KX125.

You don't notice the missing shroud on an 88/89 KX125 after about thirty seconds of riding. I assume the earlier bikes are the same.