kyb mid bleed hole

do any tuners open up the size of the mid bleed hole on closed chamber kyb,s?i was wondering if this would be a good strategy for small chatter.you could than keep the stock stiffer rebond shims in place.i,m talking about this in the context of offroad riding only.

do yo think the fork would become a little wallowy?

i,ve read where some people prefer the larger bleed holes over bleed shims as they have a more positive transition to the stack and don,t feel as vague.

thoughts? cj

i would do that but that oil it too thin for the outer chamber.i get mixing (without bottoming)in about 20 minutes of riding.new seals and conditioned rods.i use honda hp5,which i find is already a fairly thin oil.

Can't you test for the desired effect by opening the rebound clicker more. This will increase the bypass bleed. You just have to be aware of the rebound change. If you like the compression feel with the rebound clicker way open, then you can drill the bypass....I guess you could say you are creating an "offset" to the damping curve when you open the rebound clicker, and then drilling the bypass will increase that offset. You would have to add some rebound shims to keep the rebound nearly the same as original, however it might be impossible to have as much low speed rebound as original since the bypass hole works in both directions.

are you using the DDT Kit or stock type valving ? Why not just run a bleed shim on face of compression I assume you're working with midvalve ? I tried it on my ktm a bleed shim and it def made it softer and quicker reacting but was too soft for moto use .

Cj,

I haven't tried either one. But, if it were me I would go with bleed shim. Less invasive. IMO

By the way, have you tried the 20,11.30,11.30,20,20 deal and have you contacted Dave to get a solution or other options?

jw

are you using the DDT Kit or stock type valving ? Why not just run a bleed shim on face of compression I assume you're working with midvalve ? I tried it on my ktm a bleed shim and it def made it softer and quicker reacting but was too soft for moto use .

I think he is using ddt according to his recent post.

If you're using DDT then try a bleed shim I think another guy found that to be the solution if not mistaken to get bike to dive for corners I could be wrong though . ADDING bleed hole to piston is same as opening up rebound circuit as flows in both directions . Problem is once you get beyond a certain number of clicks on rebound its diminishing returns doesnt make alot of difference . A 11 12 or 13 mm bleed shim up against piston would help for sure but still allow comp face shim to close during rebound stroke . or even run one under the first face shim might work as well .

i talked to dave last year.his response time becomes an issue with me .i have not tried the large .6mm bleed on the mid.i know that is way to extreme a step for me.that,s where i had some trouble with dave,i was into fine tuning and only having small problems(dive ,chatter).he would always assume i was saying it was way too stiff and take me to a way too soft setting.

i don,t mind the testing of this thing but i bought early(sdt then ddt).i found the setup was sold as one size fits all then when feedback came in it was "can,t work for everyone without tinkering".tinkerings fine,but there were no guide lines.it should be sold with the disclaimer that it may take several setups to dial in.i,m ok with that,but the support is weak.

on my CRF Fork, the bleed hole its 1.2mm stock.

works good with the reb. clicker 8-12out on DDT Settings.

for mx i would use a stack like this

works realy good!

32.11 15x

11.3 2x

mid

20.11 2x

11.25 2x

s 175 spring

s 62 spring

reb

10.25 2x

Stock springs, 14Nmm EPNP .

rider 70kg.

?

on my CRF Fork, the bleed hole its 1.2mm stock.

works good with the reb. clicker 8-12out on DDT Settings.

for mx i would use a stack like this

works realy good!

32.11 15x

11.3 2x

mid

20.11 2x

11.25 2x

s 175 spring

s 62 spring

reb

10.25 2x

Stock springs, 14Nmm EPNP .

rider 70kg.

?

i,m going to try ths light mid stack.,well the whole setup.would i have to run a stiffer reound stack considering i,m not useing dave,s oil?i use honda hp5 which is thinner than dave,s.

for now i think i,ll try the solid mid no bleed shim.my thought on running the bleed shim was so i could close down on the bleed screw some.maybe take away a little of that loose feeling i get.

i,m going to run 1 more face shim as i,m very heavy.i find mx type stiff stacks work for me in the bush because of my weight.

my rear stack on the 250 2 stroke is now a stack based on a yz450 2008,but it,s about 20%stiffer on comp and beefed up rebound also.for bush only.

i,m going to try ths light mid stack.,well the whole setup.would i have to run a stiffer reound stack considering i,m not useing dave,s oil?i use honda hp5 which is thinner than dave,s.

for now i think i,ll try the solid mid no bleed shim.my thought on running the bleed shim was so i could close down on the bleed screw some.maybe take away a little of that loose feeling i get.

i,m going to run 1 more face shim as i,m very heavy.i find mx type stiff stacks work for me in the bush because of my weight.

my rear stack on the 250 2 stroke is now a stack based on a yz450 2008,but it,s about 20%stiffer on comp and beefed up rebound also.for bush only.

the reb works also with 5 wt oil.

with fast reb settings the fork will ride higher and the blow off needs to recover faster thenn common settings.

i use kyb 01. clicker 8-10 out. works good on hard tracks.

with stiffer springs,higher oillevel or on sand tracks you need astiffer stack.

the soft mid feels soft butvery comfortable .

please let me know how it works for you.?

the reb works also with 5 wt oil.

with fast reb settings the fork will ride higher and the blow off needs to recover faster thenn common settings.

i use kyb 01. clicker 8-10 out. works good on hard tracks.

with stiffer springs,higher oillevel or on sand tracks you need astiffer stack.

the soft mid feels soft butvery comfortable .

please let me know how it works for you.?

now you said this stack is for 70 kg mx rider.i saw the same stack for 200 lbs (90 kgs)bush rider.

i weigh 120 kilo and ride bush.where do you think i should add to the stack?or do you think it,s ok?

my old base setting clamped to a 14x.25 then an 11x1.43 under.it did have a cross of 26mm at position six and 16 face shims.

i was thinking same mid and 17 face shims down to the 11 clamp,pull the stiffer 14mm shim.also keep the fast rebound with maybe 20 20 instead of 20 18,to help with the heavier spring.maybe an added 15mm shim in the rebound would be better.i think i,ll clamp my mid at 12 0r 11mm .

ive drilled those in a kx250 to 1.2mm, 22Cst oil with a DDT it was good but i prelaoded the MV springs more than "normal" and ran a bleed stage on the mid

face shim

12x0.2

rest of stack

I don't like bleed shims on the valve face

ive drilled those in a kx250 to 1.2mm, 22Cst oil with a DDT it was good but i prelaoded the MV springs more than "normal" and ran a bleed stage on the mid

face shim

12x0.2

rest of stack

I don't like bleed shims on the valve face

now when you added the bleed,was the face shim added to your original stack?

so lets say i run 20 20 18 16 14 11x.25 11x.25.

would i do 20 12x.20 20 20 18 16 14 11x.25 11x.25?

if so ,should i add to the stem height as to keep the same preload on the blow off springs?in otherwords add .31mm to stem height?

thanks cj