Sign in to follow this  

Pro Taper bar bend

I know this subject may be beaten to death, but I need some input. I would like to install a Scotts damper, top mounted. Also, happens my stock bars are slightly bent. So, its an opportunity to switch out my bars. I am considering Pro Taper w/o a crossbar. But there are many bends. I am 5'7", I don't believe I need to raise the bars from stock. I see most posting in here are tall guys looking for some hieght. I mostly trail ride. Any suggestions on a good bend for a shorter guy? And what Pro Taper model?

Appreciate the input.

I run Pro Tapers bars.....The first set I had on the bike was the Windham bend....those bars were just to tall for me...(I am 5-6)....they were ok when I was standing....that was about it....I switched to the Carmicheal bend......"Prefect"....the bars has a low rise that keeps my elbows up....From different threads on here.......most shorter riders go with the Carmicheal bend......I am very pleased with the RC bend bars............hope this info helps....

i also have the RC bend on my pro tapers,best bar fit ive ever had and am 5'7"

Renthal Fatbar RC bend = same as stock.

Protaper EVO Windham MX/Rm mid = same as stock

99mm tall 54mm pullback and about 800mm wide

How much shorter than stock do you want to go? Look for something that has about the same amount of pullback of 54mm. I would also recommend avoiding the Contour bar and stick with either the Fatbar or the EVO bar.

Thanks-

Eric

Alo when you buy the damper it is best and easiest to buy the 1 1/8 bar mounts at the same time as we have to match the damper adapter to what ever off set barmounts you have. if you buy them before the damper we will have to get some measurements taken to know which adapter to provide. I would recommend a barmount with 3mm of offset turned forward to equal the same position as the stock bars. You can call me at 818-248-6747 if you have questions on what this means.

Thanks-

Eric

Renthal Fatbar RC bend = same as stock.

Protaper EVO Windham MX/Rm mid = same as stock

99mm tall 54mm pullback and about 800mm wide

How much shorter than stock do you want to go? Look for something that has about the same amount of pullback of 54mm. I would also recommend avoiding the Contour bar and stick with either the Fatbar or the EVO bar.

Thanks-

Eric

Eric

Why don't you like the Contour bars?

I'm 6' and my son who is 6'1" has a ProTaper Windham bend and he likes it. I'm not sure if its a Contour or what though. His bar is turned back more than mine so his feels more like a downhill bicycle than mine. I've been thinking about maybe getting a new bar. Maybe I ought to start with just turning mine back to see how that feels as a first step?

I have been doing some handlebar research as well. I just ordered the TAG Metals 1 1/8" with the crossbar. XT-1 Oversize Braced Handlebar

I have not seen too many reviews on them but they look to be pretty stout and can't wait to get them on my 250x.

http://www.sixsixone.com/tag.aspx

I bought the Windham/Yamaha Bend (#9662-05) for $99.

Anyone else have the these or heard of them?

Why don't you like the Contour bars?

I'm 6' and my son who is 6'1" has a ProTaper Windham bend and he likes it. I'm not sure if its a Contour or what though. His bar is turned back more than mine so his feels more like a downhill bicycle than mine. I've been thinking about maybe getting a new bar. Maybe I ought to start with just turning mine back to see how that feels as a first step?

ProTaper bars were originally made here in America by Easton for ProTaper and were a very hi quality bar. A few years back ProTaper decided that they needed a less expensive handlebar and came out with the Contour bar that they had contracted to be made over seas in Asia and the quality was not as high and it was hard to mount hand guards too. At that point in time we were on of the largest vendors for ProTaper bars and they were very excited for us to carry them. Once we pointed out the issues they had ProTaper then came out with a better bar called the EVO and while still Asian made comes CLOSER to being as good as the original Easton made bar (keep in mind I said closer, not exact). Because of this we have only stocked and sold EVO or Renthal Fatbar one the supply of original bars faded away.

Thanks-

Eric

if you do not have a Scotts damper yet, drop me a PM. I think I may have one to sell.

Thanks, but unfortunately I have already pulled the trigger.

ProTaper bars were originally made here in America by Easton for ProTaper and were a very hi quality bar. A few years back ProTaper decided that they needed a less expensive handlebar and came out with the Contour bar that they had contracted to be made over seas in Asia and the quality was not as high and it was hard to mount hand guards too. At that point in time we were on of the largest vendors for ProTaper bars and they were very excited for us to carry them. Once we pointed out the issues they had ProTaper then came out with a better bar called the EVO and while still Asian made comes CLOSER to being as good as the original Easton made bar (keep in mind I said closer, not exact). Because of this we have only stocked and sold EVO or Renthal Fatbar one the supply of original bars faded away.

Thanks-

Eric

does this mean you like the EASTON bars?

does this mean you like the EASTON bars?

Trick question! :thumbsup:

I like the idea of the new 1 3/8 bar and have heard nothing but good stuff about them. Unfortunately we have no way to use one with our damper. I see a lot of those bars on sale nowadays so I dont know if they are discontinued or not. I am guessing that the 1 1/8 bar they are selling is just as good as the original Protaper bar but I have never seen that one.

Thanks-

Eric