Sign in to follow this  

2006 Rear Shock

I went riding a couple days ago. After some warmup and back to the truck I noticed a puddle under the bike. Upon inspection it looked like the rear shock was leaking. There was maybe a cup of oil on the ground... yeah a cup! I kept riding since I was out, but is this something that happens? Also, where's the best place to get it fixed? I'm in Utah.

Thanks,

Karl

Seal head is out. All Balls makes a drop in replacement head for about 30 bucks then about another 20 for a quart of shock fluid. Look in the suspension forum for a how to, but i wouldnt attempt it if you're not comfortable... real easy to screw things up and a replacement shock is about $1800

Seal head is out. All Balls makes a drop in replacement head for about 30 bucks then about another 20 for a quart of shock fluid. Look in the suspension forum for a how to, but i wouldnt attempt it if you're not comfortable... real easy to screw things up and a replacement shock is about $1800

Perfect! Thank you very much.

Thought I would post a progress. The rebuild is super simple. There was no existing damage to any parts and the all balls seal kit works like a charm. Worst I found was the lower linkage assembly where there is 3 sets of roller needle bearings. I going to guess that they had never seen the light of day and were completely dry. After a thorough cleaning and reassembly with fresh grease the action in the rear suspension is night and day to what it was before the rebuild.

Thanks for the tips and tutorials!

Karl

Was the shock really a cup low on fluid? Was there any oil left in the shock when you took it apart? Needle bearings don't get enough grease from factory. The first thing I do when I get a bike is tear it apart and grease all the bearings. I'm usually good for at least two years then until I have to do them again.

Now that I have rebuilt it I know that approx. 380mL shock oil goes in. When the shock blew out there was quite a mess on the ground, so yeah about a cup blew out (that would be about half of the oil). When I pulled it apart there was maybe half a cup of oil left in it. Between the blow out and the rebuild I did ride it about 3 hours since I was out in the sticks and could do nothing about it anyway. Interesting about the needle bearings. They are now well lubed and they are smooth!