Sign in to follow this  

Considering a KLR650

A friend has been trying very hard to convince me to find a pre-2007 KLR. Apparently they have quite a cult following. I have found one at a no-brainer price and am seriously considering it.

I'd appreciate advice on what to look for on this bike. Any common issues with the series (it's a 2001)?

I have bought and sold many bikes over the years, and have worked on all of them, so I know a little about the subject. I've just never encountered a KLR650.

Thanks in advance for your help!

The cult following is due to affordability.......it is a cheap reliable ride.

If money wasn't an issue,,,the cult would be small.

Its actually pre 2008. My 08 was less than I see alot of 07's for. There were a lot of improvements in 08. If you want more of an offroad bike the 07 would be better. Actually if you want more of an offroad bike I'd get a different/lighter bike altogether.

A KLR650 isn't a great tourer, trail runner, corner carver, or cruiser/commuter. There are better bikes in every category. It's heavy, slow, and crude. But if you need one bike that can perform acceptably in every one of those roles (especially if $$ is a factor), then you'll love the KLR. It's reliable, cheap, simple to repair, and will perform decent in all conditions.

Either generation is a very good bike. Some folks like the older version due to less plastic to break, but either one will do whatever you ask of it (within reason).

...Actually if you want more of an offroad bike I'd get a different/lighter bike altogether.

Agreed, and if you wanted that plus still street legal, do they stil make the KLR 250's? Or the Sherpa would be another option. Little light/small for going down an interstate.