Sign in to follow this  

using Race Tech longer top out springs, harescrambles, 08crf450

So my 08 i just had revalved for harescrambles, will be Vet/Sr A next season.. ride a bunch in woods, no mx but our Florida trails have some fast sections with big whoops. We decided to use the longer top out springs. Having ridden/raced my 04 without them, im undecided if im liking the longer top out springs that seem to preload the fork springs a bit. On the stand with the wheel off the ground, it is a 25mm difference from before.

Anyone use them and like/dislike? Seems to be an advantage in the parts of a course/trail with smaller but fast bumps, but when you get into a more mx type setting (and some of the harescrambles do utilise portions of mx tracks) the bike simply feels "shorter" in front..

bump :thumbsup: Anyone use longer top out springs in the forks? For anything, mx, harescrambles, enduro..

You honed in already on the feeling - there are plusses and minusses to every modification...and the minus is a lower/shorter front end in faster sections.

In this case - it's truly an either or.

You honed in already on the feeling - there are plusses and minusses to every modification...and the minus is a lower/shorter front end in faster sections.

In this case - it's truly an either or.

thanks for helping with my initial thoughts.. Appreciate it. Likely going to take em out, the slight benefit in the slower single track does not outweigh the reduced travel and harsher hit due to the preload the longer top out springs add. Would rather go "Faster" in the fast sections.. :thumbsup:

I had my own made and tested with them for a cpl. yrs. I found riders either loved or hated them. They have their place esp. if you test with a cpl diff rates. I did find however that non of the rates I used ever worked very well untill I had the rear lowered a little at the same time...

doc

I had my own made and tested with them for a cpl. yrs. I found riders either loved or hated them. They have their place esp. if you test with a cpl diff rates. I did find however that non of the rates I used ever worked very well untill I had the rear lowered a little at the same time...

doc

Thanks. More confirmation it isn't a modification that everyone likes.. Im in the "hate em" catagory.. :thumbsup: The front end is just too low for my taste when in faster rough stuff, or even when approaching a larger log to loft the front end over. Understand what your saying about the rear being lowered too, that would get the geometry in line at least and have a more similar feel front rear? Just think for the terrain down here and the faster speeds our harescrambles seem to be at, lowering the bike isn't an option for me.. Glad to get more info though!!