1983 YZ250/490 Front hubs

Do any of you know if the double leading shoe brake assembly from a 1983 yz250/490 will fit the 79 YZ250 front hub?

Do any of you know if the double leading shoe brake assembly from a 1983 yz250/490 will fit the 79 YZ250 front hub?

Sorry, I don't have a '79 hub so I can't even guess - but if you have one available to you, perhaps the following info will be of use:

Both Yamaha early-80's 2LS brake backing plates are @ 63mm wide w/shoes (outside/L plate boss edge to far-R shoe edges), have @ 25mm wide plate bosses w/15mm axle, and use 130mm drums. One type has a slanted fork engagement slot, the other uses a right-angle slot.

I have both type plates here, let me know if you need any more measurements.

Ray

well that is the swap I am going to make soon I hav a 79 400(very close to the 250 forks and all the same) And I have a 82 490 brake hub and forks........ the hub will not work on the 79 forks since the 82 brake stay<?> the little lug that latches in the fork to keep the drum from spinning is at the 3 oclock positin as opposed to the 1 oclock position the 79 forks/brakes use............

Thanks.

I have the 83 forks but waiting on the hub that I bought off Ebay. Didn't know if I was going too need the 83 wheel also. I rebuilt the forks and bought a Works Performance Pro shock, Emulators, new fork springs, triple tree, got every thing together and found that the front hub lugs are different. Go figure.

I hope it works out well, I spent a ton of money on this 79 YZ250. If not the wife is goin to kill me.

I havent gotten to that point waitin ona little extra cash to redo the forks havent seen if it will actaully fit the 79 hub........ heh I must be a cat since my wife has killed me a few times already

Those are super long forks for a '79 YZ 250.

Are you going to to anything to the rear suspension to balance out the heights ?

I think you can just squeeze 11" of wheel travel out of the '79 shock.

Dirt Chopper comes to mind !

Dave R

I think the DLS off the YZ465H (set at 1 oclock) will fit your front forks and hub but know guarantees just a guess?

Yup It will fit. I just recieved it last night and it's the same just DLS.