Sign in to follow this  

1981 XT200 Recommendations?

I've been looking for a used Yamaha dual sport bike. There is a 1981 XT200 with 2000 miles on it that has been stored in a garage and the guy is asking $1200. His uncle bought it new. I haven't been able to find much information online about the XT200. I get the impression they did not make it for many years and that parts would be hard to get. I'm going out to look at this bike this evening. The guy says it looks new. Does any one know what years it was made? I'm assuming it has a five speed transmission. I'm a little bit hesitant to pay $1200 for it if parts are hard to get. Any suggestions on what it might be worth? How about reliability?

XT200 was made in 82 & 83 .

NADA Pricing :

Excellent $1400

Very Good $1150

Good $650

Fair $500

Poor N/A

That's correct:

The XT-200 was made for 1982 (XT-200J), and 1983 (XT-200K).

The 1982 bike was red and white, and the 1983 bike was all white in color.

Otherwise, they were the same machine.

I owned an 1982 XT-200J back then.

It was just fine, and like any other bike, nothing went wrong without good reason.

The engine is the same basic design that's still used in today's TW-200, so it's been well-tried and well-proven.

The transmission is a 5-speed.

As far as being hard to get parts, first, don't expect a Yamaha dealer to have seldon-asked-for parts like front rims, fenders, and fuel tanks on the shelf.

Those parts will have to be special ordered for you.

On top of that, some of those seldom-asked-for parts will by now have been discontinued and no longer available through Yamaha Motor Corp., USA and their dealers, so if you were to need something weird like a new swingarm, you would probably have to get one through a used bike parts dealer (AKA motorcycle junkyard).

On the positive side, more commonly-asked-for parts like clutch levers, front brake levers, clutch cables, air filters, oil filters, tires, light bulbs, sprockets, wheel bearings, clutch plates, gaskets, and every-day items like those are much more likely to still be available to order through your Yamaha dealer.

So, basically, if the bike dosen't need a boatload of parts to make right, I wouldn't sweat that.

If it needs everything but the kitchen sink (does it even start and run correctly?), maybe you should pass.

Lots of old bikes that are "like new" have been sitting for a long time and will need carburetor and air intake work (like a rodent-chewed air filter or even mouse-chewed wiring) to make right, again.

The XT200 was beautiful--but I was too late, by about 15 minutes. There were two guys already looking at it. The first guy bought it for $1200 without even starting it or riding it. It had 3700 miles on it and was in extremely clean and immaculate condition. The seller's uncle bought it new and put on a beautiful home made rack. Apparently he drove it every year for a bit and so has been well maintained and kept in top operating condition, garage stored and all. The tires were original and showed no signs of deterioration. The buyer had come to look at the nice Honda ATV for sale but got the Yamaha instead. He had come in his car and had no way to get it home so I volunteered to transport it to his house in my truck. I left him my telephone number in case he finds it too small--he is a rather big guy. His wife was not at home when we got there, so he is hiding it from her until she leaves for Afghanistan tomorrow.

• Like 1

His wife was not at home when we got there, so he is hiding it from her until she leaves for Afghanistan tomorrow.

Maybe you mean until she GETS BACK from ...

According to that , it might be a good idea to give his wife a call and let her know that you'd like to buy the XT200 she doesn't know is in their garage . :confused::thumbsup:

Just an update to the story. I had left my telephone number with the buyer thinking he may decide he wants a bigger bike. Sure enough, two weeks later he phoned saying he saw one on Craigslist he really wanted and that I could have the XT200 for what he paid for it. In the meantime he had put on just 100 miles, but had changed the oil, spark plug and bought a new battery for it. Actually the old battery, five years old, is still in great working order. So I gained a bit by waiting 2 weeks. Since then I've put about 400 miles on it. Last weekend I loaded it onto my truck and took it with me on a dipnetting trip to Chitina on the Copper River. I live in Fairbanks, Alaska and Alaskan Residents can get a salmon dipnetting permit that allows you to catch up to 30 fish annually for a family. The dipnet has a long handle of about 18 feet. Copper River Red salmon are world famous for being extra tasty and oily. Anyway, it is a 320 mile trip from Fairbanks to Chitina. My buddy and I caught 41 salmon (two of them King Salmon) and I hauled them 3.5 miles back to the truck on my XT200. I mounted a big milk crate on the back rack. I put about 5-6 fish in the rack and 4-5 in my backpack. The trail is an old railroad bed from the days when they had a big copper mine. It runs down along the Copper River and presents a few challenging spots for a motorcycle loaded with fish. The most fish I carried out was on the last trip and that was 11. Anyway, the bike runs great. It was showing signs of running slightly lean. So I removed that plug covering the fuel mixture screw and adjusted the mixture and solved that problem.

• Like 1

What a great find, story, and deal! Do yourself and the bike a favor and next oil change, put JASON-MA rated synthetic oil in it. I run Mobil1Racing 4T but there are others that are good as well.

Good Score!

Back in the day I had an 81 or 82 XT125, It was almost brand new with less than 1000 kms.

I think I was 14 at the time. I drove the snot out of it for 2 or 3 years till i sold it to a friend.

I have a lot of fond memories with that bike.

the first:

i think I paid $650 for it almost 30 years ago. i was a regular at the dealer so when the owner of the shop seen me lusting over it, he let me take it home and I could pay him when I got the cash. Not many shops will do that nowadays.

Good Score!

Back in the day I had an 81 or 82 XT125, It was almost brand new with less than 1000 kms.

I think I was 14 at the time. I drove the snot out of it for 2 or 3 years till i sold it to a friend.

I have a lot of fond memories with that bike.

the first:

i think I paid $650 for it almost 30 years ago. i was a regular at the dealer so when the owner of the shop seen me lusting over it, he let me take it home and I could pay him when I got the cash. Not many shops will do that nowadays.

Back about 1915, my grandfather was a farmer in Western Kansas. He wanted to by a Ford (probably a model T), but there was a waiting list at the local dealer in WaKeeney. So he was on the list. At the same time he was always buying more farm land. There was a particular piece he wanted and had approached the owner. But the owner didn't want to sell. One day he got a message that his car had arrived at the dealer. He went and got it, received rudimentary instructions on driving it. Off he went learning as he went. After three days the owner of the land he wanted dropped by and said he was ready to sell. But the money he had saved for the land had paid for the car. So he went back to the dealer and they took the car back and gave him "all" his money back. They had a long list of buyers anyway. That is something that is not done these days either.

What a great find, story, and deal! Do yourself and the bike a favor and next oil change, put JASON-MA rated synthetic oil in it. I run Mobil1Racing 4T but there are others that are good as well.

The guy I bought it from told me he put in Synthetic oil, but I don't know if it was JASO/MA rated. Thanks for bringing this rating to my attention. I got some Rotella JASO/MA yesterday and changed the oil this morning. I got a new oil filter also. When I took the old filter out, it was just a fancy screen, whereas the replacement filter has the pleated paper appearance. The TW200 forum, which uses the exact same engine as the XT200, says just to clean the filter and only replace if damaged. The pleated filter looks like it would work better. What are your thoughts on this?

The screen is used on some of the older bikes, but I'd agree that the pleated paper will filter better.

Awesome fishing trip report. This post caught my attention because I recently picked up a '82 XT200. A co-worker had it sitting in her backyard for years and she was going to take it to the dump. It only had 2,100 mi on it and it was all there. I rescued it. It was in bad shape. Tank and seat off sitting in the weather for 6 years. Whats worse is it was sitting on intake stroke so water damage all the way through the carb down to the piston...

I have since repainted the frame, replaced all bearings, port polish & shaved the head, wiseco 10.25:1 yfm200 piston, barnett friction disks and springs... Mikuni VM28-418 carb & now working on custom FMF Turbine Core 2 exhaust. She runs pretty good! Great little backup bike for when I'm not riding my DRZ.

Awesome fishing trip report. This post caught my attention because I recently picked up a '82 XT200. A co-worker had it sitting in her backyard for years and she was going to take it to the dump. It only had 2,100 mi on it and it was all there. I rescued it. It was in bad shape. Tank and seat off sitting in the weather for 6 years. Whats worse is it was sitting on intake stroke so water damage all the way through the carb down to the piston...

I have since repainted the frame, replaced all bearings, port polish & shaved the head, wiseco 10.25:1 yfm200 piston, barnett friction disks and springs... Mikuni VM28-418 carb & now working on custom FMF Turbine Core 2 exhaust. She runs pretty good! Great little backup bike for when I'm not riding my DRZ.

Glad to hear you have it running. How about the tires? I've had trouble locating a 100/80-17 dual purpose rear tire. Someone else with an XT200 said they put a 4.60-17 on the back rim. I found one of them at the local store here but it is more a dirt tire than a dual purpose tire. I have yet to try it out.

Bought this new back when I was 15 years old. Have put at least 20K on it but the Odo broke back at 11299. Never done anything whatsoever to the engine or transmission, still runs strong with original clutch. Have replaced the rear wheel bearings several times, brake pads, fuel tank rusted badly from the inside and had it recoated. replaced the carb with a used one as the float bowl housing corroded through. Speedo cable replaced. Several new batteries since new. New tires 12 years ago. Several new chaions and sprockets. Overall I really really like this old bike and it is definately not for sale. I know how and when every scratch and dent happened to both me and the bike. Your question on reliability has been answered ?

IMG_4771small.jpg

IMG_4772small.jpg

IMG_4773small.jpg

Before my bike was parked they put an IRC gp110 on the back and its 17x5.10 and is a great little dual sport tire. It looks like MARINEPROJECTGROUP has this type of tire on his front rim.

Bought this new back when I was 15 years old. Have put at least 20K on it but the Odo broke back at 11299. Never done anything whatsoever to the engine or transmission, still runs strong with original clutch. Have replaced the rear wheel bearings several times, brake pads, fuel tank rusted badly from the inside and had it recoated. replaced the carb with a used one as the float bowl housing corroded through. Speedo cable replaced. Several new batteries since new. New tires 12 years ago. Several new chaions and sprockets. Overall I really really like this old bike and it is definately not for sale. I know how and when every scratch and dent happened to both me and the bike. Your question on reliability has been answered ?

That's tremendous. Glad to hear it has done so well. What year is it? I see you are in BC.