Sign in to follow this  

TTR 125 kicker gear problem

After a recent replacement of the kicker gear and idler gear, I am now encountering a hang up of the kicker gear engaging into the idler gear during kick starting.

This only happens every so often when I am trying to find top dead center. I actually replaced the kicker assembly with a new one and it is still doing the same thing. Besides the hang up it starts and runs fine.

Could it be from the kicker spring being rotated wrong?

Is it an e-start? Ours would hang up when we kicked it. Turned out it was the related to the starter clutch going out.

-Kerry

Hey Kerry, I knew you would chime in! Non-electric model hopped up to the hilt.

This hang up of the kicker is after my third case split due to the rev box. Ever so often it just gets stuck and I have to either wiggle the kick starter with my hand or kick through it to free it up. When I do kick through it clanks like if something broke.

It has never done this since I have owned the bike, (and that's through the first two case splits). Just weird.

At least you shouldn't have to split it to take a look. Check to see if your spring is wound clock wise. I did several kicks with the clutch cover off. Just to see..

-Kerry

Yeah, I checked it with the side case off and would still hang up on occasion (and yes I made sure the spring was wound clock wise). I talked to my mechanic and he said it could be possible play in the idler gear. He checked the cases on this last split and did not see any cracks in the cases. I will just have to live with it and just be careful when kicking.

I try to take it easy on ours. The kid is the the goob that doesn't. He doesn't get the lack of auto decomp requires a bit of a finess.

-Kerry

Hey Kerry, I was thinking, how much play should the idler gear have. I am now thinking even thought the cases aren't cracked maybe they are slighlty warped where the output shaft passes through and that is causing the idler to have more slop than normal.

When I get back home I'll take a look. Like I said, we thought something was hanging on the idler, so we ground it and then realized it was that starter clutch.

-Kerry

Hey Kerry, I was thinking, how much play should the idler gear have. I am now thinking even thought the cases aren't cracked maybe they are slighlty warped where the output shaft passes through and that is causing the idler to have more slop than normal.
I'm not finding a measurement on the slop in the book. Ours has a small wobble, but I don't have a gauge to measure it with.

The stack up was circlip washer, gear, washer, circlip. The gear has to be installed a certain way. You have to make sure the indent around the shaft is facing out and the necked out portion is towards the case.

Outside of that, I'm stumped.

-Kerry