Hot Cams Questions

I'm debating throwing some Hot Cams into my 07 WR. Probably gonna do the stage 1 intake and stage 2 exhaust for all around power. So my first question is this: you guys who have installed this set up, whats the difference in low end torque. Everybody says the bike is more powerful, but how does it do chugging up a hill? Also, if i decided to go with stage 1 intake and exhaust, would I lose much top end? The Hot Cams website says no, but I'm skeptical. All the free mods are done, minus the YZ cam timing. Thanks in advance

You will absolutely love it. I've got the same set up in my 04 WR. Hills that would sneak up on me when I was in third the bike would chug and want to die unless I down shifted. After I installed the cams and on those same situations and hills I would roll on to the throttle and the bike would easily power thru it easily go thru the RPMs.

Sweet. Do you like the power spread with the stage 1 and 2 combo? I love having power down low, but nothing is more disappointing than feeling the bike sign off early as you climb the RPMs

The power is nice. To me it seems that the power is increased over the entire rpm range. To me the low end is not quite as good as stock but that could be due to the angle I have the cam set to. I prefer the upper rpms as I race on the track but its adjustable so you can test with it to see where you like it more.

As for me I rarely spend time above 3/4 throttle and the low end power is greatly improved but my cams are at the original degree. I got both cams for $285 from Lukes racing. http://lukesracing.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=LR&Category_Code=HCYB

Jesse Williams cams are supposed to be better and they're just a few bucks more so that is an option you can look at. Email him thru his website

http://www.williamsmotowerx.net/

He doesn't list his cams on his site but if you email him he usually replies within the day. Really nice guy too

Edited by Swede73

I'm a little bit more comfortable with Hot Cams, just from what I've read on TT. I haven't heard anyone review Williams cams. They're probably just as good or better as you say, but some input from someone who is running them would be reassuring.

The power is nice. To me it seems that the power is increased over the entire rpm range. To me the low end is not quite as good as stock but that could be due to the angle I have the cam set to. I prefer the upper rpms as I race on the track but its adjustable so you can test with it to see where you like it more.

I assume you're running them at the YZ degree?

Hot Cams' alignment dots are set at YZ timing because the YZ and WR are the same part #. You can run them at WR timing but not sure why anybody would

I'm a little bit more comfortable with Hot Cams, just from what I've read on TT. I haven't heard anyone review Williams cams. They're probably just as good or better as you say, but some input from someone who is running them would be reassuring.

I may or may not be running Wiliiams cam's. I just installed some GYTR cams that, coincidentally, had the same retail sell price as Jesse was asking for his cams. I've got about 1 hr on this new setup and it's noticeably different from stock. I also used a cheap dremel tool on my head for some smoothing up the air flow on intake and exhaust tracts. I have not rejetted yet as it was running very very strong.

my results:

1) bottom end felt the same

2)bottom of midrange was a large,noticeable difference all the way thru upper midrange.

3) top end, WFO, was somewhat flat, just like OEM cams. I did not change the MJ yet as the track I was on wasn't that good a place to check WFO for the mainjet (MJ). I plan on testing on a track with a section I call Horsepower Hill where you're WFO for a while in 3rd and 4th.

The best way I can describe the new power profile is that it pulled in 3rd and 4th like I'd geared it down 1-2 teeth.

Swede, before you did installed the cams, were you using the YZ or WR timing on the stockers?

Well originally the WR timing of course but then YZ timing for a while before I put in the Hot Cams

Did you lose any low end when you went to the YZ timing? And would you say the HotCams cost you power anywhere? Sorry for all the questions :thumbsup:

Idk if its YZ or WR timing. Its whatever felt the best and thats what I got it at. Sorry for not much info on it. We just kinda loosened the bolts moved it a smidge(awesome increments there right?) and tested it, kept doing it till i found a spot I liked.

When I did the YZ timing I did all the mods including the gray wire so a vast improvement across the whole range so I gained low end going to YZ timing and gained more going to the Hot Cams combo

I thought I'd heard that some folks lost some low end when going to YZ timing, but i take your word for it. Alright cool. One last question: what kind of jetting changes were needed, just so I have an idea

If I did lose low end then I didn't notice it that much but that may be do to my riding style. As far as jetting goes I was having problems with the bog so I bought a JD kit and it went away. I just went by what the instructions recommended

One good thing about the hot cams is the ability to change the cam timing a few degrees. I've a buddy who has been testing his hot cams by changing the cam timing. He'd test for about 10 laps and come back and change again. He'd tell me how the low end improved but it would change the mid-up etc etc depending on which way he rotated the cam (advance or retard). The changes were only taking him about 10 minutes of wrenching per try while trackside.

One good thing about the hot cams is the ability to change the cam timing a few degrees. I've a buddy who has been testing his hot cams by changing the cam timing. He'd test for about 10 laps and come back and change again. He'd tell me how the low end improved but it would change the mid-up etc etc depending on which way he rotated the cam (advance or retard). The changes were only taking him about 10 minutes of wrenching per try while trackside.

Thats good to know. I like the adjustability. Did you guys have to shim twice when installing? i watched an installation video and it said to run the bike for 30 minutes with the new cams and check the valves again. Did they move? Thanks everbody :thumbsup:

Mine didn't move. If they did move they were still within tolerances

And the exhaust cam includes an auto decomp?