Tell me about 105s

Going back to 2004, what years saw changes?

What are the differences between the SX and XC?

What weight and height range are they designed for?

Can the smaller wheels from an 85 be swapped on when my GF wants to ride it?

Anyone make one into a play bike for an adult? With proper mods would it hold up to trail riding and moderate jumping under a 170lb rider?

Can the smaller wheels from an 85 be swapped on when my GF wants to ride it?

Yes. I am currently doing this with an 2008 105xc, lowers the seat an inch. They are a mini though so seat/handlebar/peg ratio is smaller and my wife didn't like it, felt too cramped. My son loves it though :thumbsup:

I use the KTM Hardparts adjustable pegs on my 300 for a lower/rearward position. Will they work on a 105? Do 105s have the multiple handlebar mounts so you can put the bars forward?

I use the KTM Hardparts adjustable pegs on my 300 for a lower/rearward position. Will they work on a 105? Do 105s have the multiple handlebar mounts so you can put the bars forward?

I will have to look at the footpegs but I think they look the same as the big bikes. The handlebars use the same mount, you can swap a fat bar mount from a big bike on if you want. I looked at this when I had to replace my sons bars and I had the stock mount from my bike sitting on the shelf as I have a under the bars mounted stabilizer.

Sweet. I'm thinking with the big wheels, low/rear pegs, and forward bars the dimensions might feel very similar to my downhill mountainbike. Then I can throw the small wheels on and soften the clickers for my girlfriend to ride it.

How big have you seen people go on bore & stroke and can you point me toward any kits? I need to get some bottom end out of this thing.

Also, still looking on info for different model years and XC vs SX.

Edited by Lelandjt
I will have to look at the footpegs but I think they look the same as the big bikes.

I looked at the pegs, everything looks identical to the big bikes except the length of the peg, they don't stick out as far. So your pegs should work.

Thanks. I need to figure out how old/cheap to buy. It sounds like the last 3 or more years have seen only new colors/graphics. What year was the first for the current bike?

As far as I know, and off the top of my head here are some of the differences. I think the '08-up bikes are the best bet (new frame and new 3rd gear).

'06+ got a new frame (and black instead of gold). The hubs are silver instead of gold, as well. Upper fork tubes are black instead of gold.

'06+ got the new design radiator shrouds

'08 got new 3rd gear and new case design with relocated breather and higher trans capacity (this mod is doable on the older cases when you have them split).

Somewhere along the way the 105 cylinder got an update ('08?).

The 85 and 105 bikes are identical except for rim size size and top end components. The bottom end of the motor and entire chassis is the same.

I have mine set up for mini supermoto and it flat out rips, even carrying my 200 lbs. around. Cannon Racecraft has a huge range of springs for these things, and actually had the springs I needed in stock.

Thanks. I'll look for '08s and skip pre '06s.