Sign in to follow this  

Kawasaki KLX450 or Husaberg FE450???

I have a dilemma, although a good dilemma I suppose. For the first time in years I will be purchasing a new ride. I will be turning 40 this year and I have given up on the motocross track riding quite some time ago for the most part. Too many injuries resulted in my coming to that decision. Anyway, almost all of my riding now consists of tight trail, wide open trail and some desert/dune riding.

I am selling one of my steeds and am trying to choose a new bike. After months of reading reviews both online, here in TT and visiting all the local dealers, I have narrowed it down to (2) choices.

1) Kawasaki KLX 450R (08' or 09")

2) Husaberg FE 450 (2010 or 2011)

I usually love Husqvarna's, but since I just can't get over the new look of the 449 and 511, it is no longer in the running. Sure it is still a great bike but much like a woman, I have to like the way she looks too. Sorry to sound shallow, but it's true.

I want a bike with good power but not something overwhelming. I'm over that at my age and I have a CR500 for that need and I am keeping it (love that bike). I want something a little more laid back, good on the trails, dependable etc, etc. I don't ride on the street so a "dual sport" is not needed nor wanted. The Kawasaki is obviously way less in cost since I can get a new 08' or 09' for under $6K. The drawback, if any, is it is not FI which would be really nice, needs some mods, like a better exhaust system, front and rear suspension upgrade, jetting kit, different clutch. Also, they don't sell any newer KLX's here in the states so I am not sure what after market parts will be like if needed or wanted later down the road.

The Husaberg on the other hand is FI, has every bell and whistle you could want and is pretty much ready to go right out of the crate with the exception of having to put on a heavier rear spring. KTM own's Husaberg now so getting parts is not a problem and many of the KTM parts (other than motor) will fit the Husaberg if needed. The downside, they are almost $10K new and that is before tax and license, much like their KTM cousins.

Everyone I have talked to that owns the Kawi loves them. The same holds true for those that own the new Berg's. It's a matter of what will fill my needs for good long hard rides on technical trails with a lot of elevation changes. I have never owned a Berg or a Kawi.

Anybody out there have an opinion on these or own them? :thumbsup:

PS.... Before you say to go get a CRF450X or WR450R, I have looked at those as well and if I am going to spend over $8K, I will just dish out the extra $$$ for the Berg and get the FI.

I have a dilemma, although a good dilemma I suppose. For the first time in years I will be purchasing a new ride. I will be turning 40 this year and I have given up on the motocross track riding quite some time ago for the most part. Too many injuries resulted in my coming to that decision. Anyway, almost all of my riding now consists of tight trail, wide open trail and some desert/dune riding.

I am selling one of my steeds and am trying to choose a new bike. After months of reading reviews both online, here in TT and visiting all the local dealers, I have narrowed it down to (2) choices.

1) Kawasaki KLX 450R (08' or 09")

2) Husaberg FE 450 (2010 or 2011)

I usually love Husqvarna's, but since I just can't get over the new look of the 449 and 511, it is no longer in the running. Sure it is still a great bike but much like a woman, I have to like the way she looks too. Sorry to sound shallow, but it's true.

I want a bike with good power but not something overwhelming. I'm over that at my age and I have a CR500 for that need and I am keeping it (love that bike). I want something a little more laid back, good on the trails, dependable etc, etc. I don't ride on the street so a "dual sport" is not needed nor wanted. The Kawasaki is obviously way less in cost since I can get a new 08' or 09' for under $6K. The drawback, if any, is it is not FI which would be really nice, needs some mods, like a better exhaust system, front and rear suspension upgrade, jetting kit, different clutch. Also, they don't sell any newer KLX's here in the states so I am not sure what after market parts will be like if needed or wanted later down the road.

The Husaberg on the other hand is FI, has every bell and whistle you could want and is pretty much ready to go right out of the crate with the exception of having to put on a heavier rear spring. KTM own's Husaberg now so getting parts is not a problem and many of the KTM parts (other than motor) will fit the Husaberg if needed. The downside, they are almost $10K new and that is before tax and license, much like their KTM cousins.

Everyone I have talked to that owns the Kawi loves them. The same holds true for those that own the new Berg's. It's a matter of what will fill my needs for good long hard rides on technical trails with a lot of elevation changes. I have never owned a Berg or a Kawi.

Anybody out there have an opinion on these or own them? :thumbsup:

PS.... Before you say to go get a CRF450X or WR450R, I have looked at those as well and if I am going to spend over $8K, I will just dish out the extra $$$ for the Berg and get the FI.

Those are ridiculous prices for the Honda and yamaha. They can be bought for thousands less.

When narrowed down to those choices I would go with the Berg. If you plan on owning it for quite a while I would lean even stronger toward the Berg. You can throw all the money you want at the Kawi and it will still not perform like the Berg. The Kawi will always “ride” heavier and never run as clean over differing elevations. Also you can adjust the ignition map’s on the Berg with the switch and fine tune it for differing conditions while on the trail. Maybe not so important to you, The Berg will always be a bike that others see as something a bit “different" and the Kawi will always be “just a Kawi”.

CoKTM

Those are ridiculous prices for the Honda and yamaha. They can be bought for thousands less.

I agree on it being a crazy price, especially for a Yamaha or a Honda even though, IMO, they a great bikes. The local dealers here in Cali quoted me $7600 for the 2011 WR450 and $7400 for the 2009 CRF450X. I don't want a used bike.

When narrowed down to those choices I would go with the Berg. If you plan on owning it for quite a while I would lean even stronger toward the Berg. You can throw all the money you want at the Kawi and it will still not perform like the Berg. The Kawi will always “ride” heavier and never run as clean over differing elevations. Also you can adjust the ignition map’s on the Berg with the switch and fine tune it for differing conditions while on the trail. Maybe not so important to you, The Berg will always be a bike that others see as something a bit “different" and the Kawi will always be “just a Kawi”.

CoKTM

That is probably the main reason I am leaning toward the Berg. I usually ride at around 800 to 1000 feet ASL. However, I do now and again ride at elevations of 4000+ feet ASL so the FI and the mapping would be a real +.

When I spoke to the local KTM dealer here, who sells Berg's as well, said it was by far the best riding and handling bike he has ever been on. Even better than the KTM which was a shocker. I am also looking at the KTM WXC450 or 530. I think it was the WXC, KTM has so many models its hard to keep track! Anyway, he also informed me that for a carb bike, the WXC can ride from sea level to 5000 ft with no adjustments to the carb. Not sure if I really believe that but I don't have the experience on the KTM to know either way.

As you may guess I am a KTM fan. I would buy an XCW 450 or 530 before buying any of the Japanese off-road bikes. The Japanese bikes can be upgraded to run like a KTM but out of the box they are all down on power and the suspension is set up soft for western terrain. If I was going to buy one of the Japanese off-road 450’s (they are all fine bikes) I would rank them in the following order for western Terrain: 1. Suzuki, 2. Yamaha/Honda, 3. Kawasaki. Remember that I am talking about the off-road 450’s not the MX bikes. That being said, If money is not a strong consideration I would still go with the Berg before the KTM. The FI will keep it running clean in all situations, and the engine design will make it ride like a lighter bike than it is.

CoKTM

As you may guess I am a KTM fan. I would buy an XCW 450 or 530 before buying any of the Japanese off-road bikes. The Japanese bikes can be upgraded to run like a KTM but out of the box they are all down on power and the suspension is set up soft for western terrain. If I was going to buy one of the Japanese off-road 450’s (they are all fine bikes) I would rank them in the following order for western Terrain: 1. Suzuki, 2. Yamaha/Honda, 3. Kawasaki. Remember that I am talking about the off-road 450’s not the MX bikes. That being said, If money is not a strong consideration I would still go with the Berg before the KTM. The FI will keep it running clean in all situations, and the engine design will make it ride like a lighter bike than it is.

CoKTM

Fortunetly the $$ for the Berg isn't an issue, guess I'm lucky in that way. Was looking for a good explanation on why I should save the money and go with the Kawi. Although, the big question is how much $$ would I then have to dump into that Kawi to make it right for me??? Probably end up being the same cost in the long run. I think my mind is made up. Even my wife tells me "dude, wake up. The Husaberg is a way better bike for what you need". Guess I'm lucky in that way too!

Hands down the Husaberg. FI, all the extra stuff like Hyd clutch, better brakes and components. Also the KLX hasn't been really updated since it was introduced, whereas the Berg is latest technology. You could spend the difference between the two on the Kawi and still not make the bike as good as the Berg IMO