Showa shock rebuild

I am in the process of putting my Showa shock back together on my RM 125 and have a quick question. I cut the original factory teflon band and o-rings off the valve body and have the new one in hand. However, it is not split to allow it to slide onto the piston. The manual doesn't say jack about it other than cut off old and replace with new...I've searched and can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for. So should I be able to fit it on there without it being split, or do I need to cut it to get it on?

Thanks. I ended up cutting it like the aftermarket ones and installing it. I had no luck even with boiling it getting it to stretch on there. I plan on getting another shock and having it all redone so it only needs to last me a little while.

in future dont bother replacing showa ones, they are nearly always too big if anything, i turn them down from 50.25mm to 50.15 to get them smoother in the shock body.

This was the OEM replacement, and even after I split it and got it on the piston and began to install it, it did seem a bit tight. Hopefully it will do for now while I can get my hands on another and have it all redone right.

in future dont bother replacing showa ones, they are nearly always too big if anything, i turn them down from 50.25mm to 50.15 to get them smoother in the shock body.

I read somewhere showa does this (snug fit) because the shock bodies expand at a greater rate with heat than the piston due to different metals involved, and a loose fitting piston will fade when the shock is hot.

it's possible but the rubbing/burning marks on the piston ring says to me they are very tight in the body , the manual says 50.15 is the lower limit so I am going to that min spec, they often come with a very fast rebound stack that would make a huge difference to loose of damping compared to a decent stack with a tiny bit of blow bt