Kawasaki KLX450R or Husaberg FE450

I posted this in another thread and thought I would throw it in here as well. Sure I will get some bias opionions in here, LOL! but I am looking for my fellow TT member opinions none the less. So try and stay open minded and put yourself in my shoes for a minute. I am this close to purchasing and I need some input. Below is my original post from another thread. Sorry to be long winded!

I have a dilemma, although a good dilemma I suppose. For the first time in years I will be purchasing a new ride. I will be turning 40 this year and I have given up on the motocross track riding quite some time ago for the most part. Too many injuries resulted in my coming to that decision. Anyway, almost all of my riding now consists of tight trail, wide open trail and some desert/dune riding.

I am selling one of my steeds and am trying to choose a new bike. After months of reading reviews both online, here in TT and visiting all the local dealers, I have narrowed it down to (2) choices.

1) Kawasaki KLX 450R (08' or 09")

2) Husaberg FE 450 (2010 or 2011)

I usually love Husqvarna's, but since I just can't get over the new look of the 449 and 511, it is no longer in the running. Sure it is still a great bike but much like a woman, I have to like the way she looks too. Sorry to sound shallow, but it's true.

I want a bike with good power but not something overwhelming. I'm over that at my age and I have a CR500 for that need and I am keeping it (love that bike). I want something a little more laid back, good on the trails, dependable etc, etc. I don't ride on the street so a "dual sport" is not needed nor wanted. The Kawasaki is obviously way less in cost since I can get a new 08' or 09' for under $6K. The drawback, if any, is it is not FI which would be really nice, needs some mods, like a better exhaust system, front and rear suspension upgrade, jetting kit, different clutch. Also, they don't sell any newer KLX's here in the states so I am not sure what after market parts will be like if needed or wanted later down the road. However, I do understand that many Kawi KF450F parts will and do fit them.

The Husaberg on the other hand is FI, has every bell and whistle you could want and is pretty much ready to go right out of the crate with the exception of having to put on a heavier rear spring. KTM own's Husaberg now so getting parts is not a problem and many of the KTM parts (other than motor) will fit the Husaberg if needed. The downside, they are almost $10K new and that is before tax and license, much like their KTM cousins.

Everyone I have talked to that owns the Kawi loves them. The same holds true for those that own the new Berg's. It's a matter of what will fill my needs for good long hard rides on technical trails with a lot of elevation changes. I have never owned a Berg or a Kawi.

Anybody out there have an opinion on these or own them? :thumbsup:

PS.... Before you say to go get a CRF450X or WR450R, I have looked at those as well and if I am going to spend over $8K, I will just dish out the extra $$$ for the Berg and get the FI.

I just bought a new 2010 Berg 450 FX for under 6k. Awesome bike. The same dealer has FE's for a couple of hundred more. You would want an FE for the greensticker. I bought it through eBay, but I am sure they sell direct. Funmart Cycles in Illinois. Shipping was only $350 to Portland.

Go big or go home!

Get a 2011 Beta!!! :thumbsup:

I REALLY like the Berg and would pick it over the KLX all day long as i find it a much better bike of higher quality (IMHO). Here is my FE390 review...

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=818336

That said i recently purchased a 2011 TE511 and freaking LOVE that machine. Lots of interesting tech that really works. 780 miles on it and just flat love that bike. Like it more than the Berg that was my fav 4st until the 511.

dscf8032-L.jpg

I REALLY like the Berg and would pick it over the KLX all day long as i find it a much better bike of higher quality (IMHO). Here is my FE390 review...

That said i recently purchased a 2011 TE511 and freaking LOVE that machine. Lots of interesting tech that really works. 780 miles on it and just flat love that bike. Like it more than the Berg that was my fav 4st until the 511.

dscf8032-L.jpg

Yup, I love Husky's too. Seeling my TE610 though. 10 years later and I still have a hard time with the left hand kicker on the side of a steep hill! I can just bet the motor in your new Husky is outta this world!? The only thing, and I mean the one and only thing, is I just can't seem to get over the the look of the new 449 and 511. I guess you either love it or dont or it just doesn't matter to some folks or maybe it grows on you? I don't know.

One question about that new Husky though.... If you take a spill and break a shroud, do you have to replace the whole side plastics? It's all one piece right? Bet it runs like a dream though....

The red part is all one part but not all that expensive. The black part is several parts and is also cheap. I have found the new plastic (Polisport brand OEM) is WAY more flexible than past husky plastic and is holding up great. Yep, fantastic bike end to end. GREAT EFI and motor, great suspension, super stable, very accommodating. Yes, the looks are polarizing but have you seen one in person? Most my ride buddies really like it. Two of them are selling their current bikes to get one after riding it. So many great bikes out there these days.

The red part is all one part but not all that expensive. The black part is several parts and is also cheap. I have found the new plastic (Polisport brand OEM) is WAY more flexible than past husky plastic and is holding up great. Yep, fantastic bike end to end. GREAT EFI and motor, great suspension, super stable, very accommodating. Yes, the looks are polarizing but have you seen one in person? Most my ride buddies really like it. Two of them are selling their current bikes to get one after riding it. So many great bikes out there these days.

Even though I ended up buying a Berg, the new TE 449/511 looks like a great bike. It looks better in person than in the pictures.

hi mate. i supose it depends how u ride,as your an ex crosser rider i rekon the berg will give you that feeling of riding a crosser compared to the klx.i to was an ex motox rider & still want to have fun when i ride which the berg does better compared to the other bikes i have ridden exc/449/wr but have to admit iv not ridden the kwack but from what i have read its more of a gentle giant which would probly be the better bike for a chillaxed ride.at the age of 40 i suspect u still got some beans left in you & still want to ride with a grin on your face so then the berg it is.yep i own 450fe but i dont kiss its arse,im not brand loyal,its a fantastic fun bike to ride & imo the best bike out there atm.only downside it might knacker you out more than the kwack as when u get on it you just want to ride the arse off it :thumbsup:

Seen and sat on the TE511 yes. I have two local Husky dealers within 30 miles of me. Just havn't cracked open the throttle on one and tore down the trail. First initial impression, just from sitting on it so take it with a grain of salt, was good and roomy, I liked the extra seat area up front, pegs were a bit odd in placement but not anything bad that I couldn't get use to. Seat was a bit hard on my ass but so is the Berg's (the KTM felt comfy like a cadillac). Nothing some newer seat foam couldnt fix I suppose but then again, I stand up most of the time when riding (old mx habbit). The Husky, although heavy at a stand still, felt really balanced so I can just imagine what it feels like to ride. I do from time time do some of the local enduro races here so there would still have to be a couple mods made (not anything close to the Kawi obviously). If I was serious about that racing, the fuel filling would be an issue for me but since I'm not it's not a problem. Bike would be for riddinf with my buddies and family for the most part. But I would go with the TXC just because I don't ever ride on pavement, wouldnt want the additional weight and I would end up removing all the lights and bling anyway and ofcourse removing that anchor of an exhaust system. Cool that the TXC and TC come with the Akropic exhaust though it's not the top of the line exhaust it is good for my needs. But then I get off the bike and look at it again and say "man those designers are either genious or out of their mind"....Maybe both.

In the end, I want the FI and I know that now for certain. I have a CR500 that is all decked out with every bell and whistle so that is my "butt pucker ride". As I stated, I am keeping that one. I want a trail friendly bike that at the same time makes me grin from ear to ear and I don't have to scre around with the carb depending on where I ride. Going with the Berg.

Good choice!

I just bought a '11 FX450 on ebay for way less than $6k so don't go out and pay retail for a 'Berg.

Good choice!

I just bought a '11 FX450 on ebay for way less than $6k so don't go out and pay retail for a 'Berg.

Once you get the FX450 out for some rides, let me know your impression. I have considered the FX over the FE. Both are FI and electric start but the FX, although not quite a full MX bike, is set up more toward closed track than the FE from what I hear. Main difference is the suspension, gearing and minus the head and tail light. Like I said, no pavemt riding for me, so the FX may be a consideration and I think it is green sticker legal in California like the FE. Not that it matters though, with exception of Hangtown (Prarie City) and Hollister, everywhere I ride the red sticker is legal year round.

Will certainly post a report on the FX. I went with the FX over the FE for all the things you mentioned. My current bike is an XC because I felt the EXC was a little too soft and was too slow to rev. I think the FX is like the XC version of an orange bike, fwiw.

I recently rode a new KTM 250XCF with the WP closed chamber forks and wow I am stoked to have those forks on my new bike.

For lighting I have ordered a Trailtech X2 light kit / wiring / taillight / brake switch from an ebay vendor for way less than retail. He builds an LED taillight on a OEM rear taillight/plate holder plus all the wiring with factory connectors. I want all the lights so that my setup is legit for my license plate. Let me know if you want the contact info for this lights guy, would mention it here but not sure if that breaks some forum rules...

My bike is about a week out from delivery, then I have to lock my family out of the garage and install all the new parts. Putting new parts on a new bike is one of the most enjoyable things I have ever done!

dscf8032-L.jpg

the HUSKY looks good .. what are the brand and type of tires on there , is that OEM ?

the HUSKY looks good .. what are the brand and type of tires on there , is that OEM ?

This is the TE model and is a street legal dualsport. Came with Metzler Karoo tires and I swapped them out for Pirelli MT43 DOT trails tires.

Edited by Ride

does the te turn and feel light like the fe390?

does the te turn and feel light like the fe390?

IMHO it feels a little lighter, turns a little heavier. Feels like the weight is lower and more between your ankles. The Berg centralizes the mass but also keeps a good bit of it high in the frame (look at motor and gas placement) Several of us that have ridden both noticed this. No knock on the Berg, love that bike too. EVERYONE who has rode my 511 the first thing they say when getting off is "wow that bike feels light". It is not and lifting it on a stand is not EZ. I weighed it at 270 with a little fuel and a few add ons.

yes, this is the TE model and is a street legal dualsport. Came with Metzler Karoo tires and I swapped them out for Pirelli MT43 DOT trails tires.

Then the correct answer would be no.

There are some great deals on 2010 'Bergs if you can still find one, as the manufacturer is giving dealers a $2,500 rebate to clear out stock on these. They may be hard to find at this point. I snagged a '10 FE450 demo with 7 hours on it for $5,495 out the door and love the bike. Just got back from a week at Moab. It's power iand fueling are absolutely perfect, even with the "green" map. The 'Berg takes a bit of set up to bulletproof it, but it is worth it.

If you want a near turn key indestructible bike in this class, the Yam WR450 is the standard. My buddy's well set up WR felt abrupt power wise and "crude" handling wise next to the 'Berg though. I say get a '10 'Berg if you can find one of the killer deals and are willing to peruse the 'Berg forum on KTM talk, or just PM me if you want setup advice. Check MFI Motorsports in VA or Tri City in Moorpark CA for deals.

Me and the new steed, in Moab :thumbsup:

Rock.jpg

There are some great deals on 2010 'Bergs if you can still find one, as the manufacturer is giving dealers a $2,500 rebate to clear out stock on these. They may be hard to find at this point. I snagged a '10 FE450 demo with 7 hours on it for $5,495 out the door and love the bike. Just got back from a week at Moab. It's power iand fueling are absolutely perfect, even with the "green" map. The 'Berg takes a bit of set up to bulletproof it, but it is worth it.

If you want a near turn key indestructible bike in this class, the Yam WR450 is the standard. My buddy's well set up WR felt abrupt power wise and "crude" handling wise next to the 'Berg though. I say get a '10 'Berg if you can find one of the killer deals and are willing to peruse the 'Berg forum on KTM talk, or just PM me if you want setup advice. Check MFI Motorsports in VA or Tri City in Moorpark CA for deals.

Me and the new steed, in Moab :confused:

Rock.jpg

Thanks and looks like a fun time in Moab! :thumbsup:

Me and the new steed, in Moab :confused:

Rock.jpg

Fun place to ride on a great bike, cant bitch about that :thumbsup: