Sign in to follow this  

Not another "how to wheelie" thread

Hi guys,

I am not trying to start another how to wheelie thread.

But I am growing tired of not being able to lift the front wheel while riding.

When I have tried it on:

.. a 250´s 2 strokes I just spin the rear wheel, or the bike surges forward instead of wheeling.

... a 250 f the bike just surges forward.

... on my 400 exc the bike just surges forward and wants to pull my arms out.

I have managed to do small wheelies on very rare ocassions, and i can start them up easily with help of obstacles, rocks or whoops but i cant do them on even ground or keep them once the front wheel is up.

I know i am the one doing something wrong, even though i like blaming the bike´s power, the rear tire wear, the chain being too loose, and even the wind being too strong :thumbsup:

But i would like to clear somethings like...

... when you say dump the clutch do you mean pull it in and open the throttle like halfway or 2/3´s keep it steady and just release the clutch?

... Do you usually need to open the throttle more than 2/3´s to do a wheelie while riding on 2nd or 3rd?

I have tried all the techniques like using the fort brake, pumping the suspension and pulling the bars but as i said the bike just surges straight into the obstacle.

Thanks for any suggestions.

BTW I am asking because I have encountered several obstacles while riding on 4th or 5th speed where learning this technique would help me out a lot.

And i understand that wheeling on 4th or 5th does require much more technique than doing it in 2nd or 3rd.

I remember the beggining of the movie with snakes on a plane where a guy is riding on his bike on open roads just for fun and just wheelies from nothing really smoothly and in control. That´s what i would like to acheive some day in order to make conecting dirt roads fun, without the need of riding them at top speed and risking a crash at high speed

just try moving your body about four inches back on the seat... youll find the back tire wont spin near as much with weight over it, and give a slight pull on the bars...

Yeah all about weight transfer of your body. If you can shift yourself further back over the rear it will make a world of difference.

Think about compressing the front forks. compress them and while they are decompressing, the front will magically come up.

Im glad you asked this because I've been having trouble with it too.

My problem is I must be doing something wrong with the throttle/clutch because upon releasing the clutch, the bike wants to stall (and obviously stop abruptly). I think I may also need to mess with the jetting again, but it should have enough power being a 250f.

That said, I have done some small wheelies and the biggest thing that helped with that was sitting back in the seat. It will depend on how tall you are and your weight. I'm 6'2" and I have had good luck with my butt right on the back of the seat, as far back as it will go without being off it. From this position my knees are at about 90 degrees with my toe above the rear brake and heel on the peg.

Again, I'm still having trouble with the engine/throttle/clutch, but it will probably help you a lot to bring your weight back. I used to have a lot of wheel spin that probably wasn't helped by the wet conditions, but more weight on the back wheel helps.

Like someone else said, the front forks will help alot, let off the throttle a little before the obstable to compress the forks a little, crack the throttle, pull back some and the front should rise. If your standing, trying standing more the front of the balls of your feet, that seemed to help me alot. I had trouble commiting at first when trying to raise the front at speed, but you just gotta commit and she'll come up just fine.

all depends how powerful your bike is too,on road the bikes you mentioned should lift up by themselves, in the bush it depends on the terrain mud and sand you will just spin till it digs up and gets grip, try compressing your forks hold in the clutch then while your forks are comming back up releasing the clutch while giving it throttle(as much as you feel comfortable with) i can wheelie until there is no road left,in the bush you have to shift your weight for the conditions,lean to much forward and giving it too much throttle will spin the back wheel out and vise versa.

I was taught to bounce the rear suspension to compress it and when its compressed give a little throttle, great to get over logs at lowish speed

ive been riding wheelies on every thing ive owned ,bmx, mountain bikes, 3wheelers,quads,dirtbikes,streetbikes iv e tried to think of how to explain how i do it but i just do it with out thinking anymore,i think i slide back and pin it then back off the throttle wen im at the balance point,try to shift from 2nd to 3rd with out the clutch to keep the front wheel up,on my old atc 200x i could wheelie in first and keep the front wheel up threw the rev range in 6th,cant quite do that on my 250x

I learned a little differently. I found a small uphill with a lip at the top. I just kept riding up the hill and leaning back at the top to carry the front wheel a little higher each time. I was standing but I'm sure it would work sitting. I learned on a four stroke trials bike. When I went to a 2 stroke race bike I had the same issue you had I couldn't do a sitting wheelie from flat ground. A friend told me to wind the bike out in 2nd gear, chop the throttle off (this causes the forks to dive and load the suspension), immediately whack the throttle wide open and the front end should come up at least a little. Practice a lot and once you get the feeling it will come easier. Of course if you lived near me you could ride my Husaberg 570 on the street and see if you can keep the front end down!