Sign in to follow this  

250 2 stroke question

right now i own a crf250r and i love the bottom end power. I used to own a 125 2 stroke and that thing had almost no bottom power, you had to be in the right gear every single time or else you were going nowhere fast. Heres my question how does the bottom end compare to that of a 250f? Pretty close or more inbetween the 125 and 250f. Im still used to always being in the right gear from the 125 days and feathering the clutch just want some input from the guys riding the smokers :thumbsup: this dirt bike hobby gets pretty expensive when you have a four stroke. In the mxa test it says its not as tractable as the 250f?

http://motocrossactionmag.com/Main/News/2011-KTM-250SX-MOTOCROSS-TEST-NOT-A-WARMEDOVER-BNG-7632.aspx

Also found this

Q: WHICH BIKE MAKES THE MOST TORQUE?

A: Pit pundits will always tell you that horsepower doesn’t matter as much as torque. They wax on about the torque advantage that a four-stroke engine has over a two-stroke. Guess what? A Yamaha YZ250F four-stroke makes 20.1 foot-pounds of torque. Are you ready? A YZ250 two-stroke pumps out 30.6 ft-pounds. For comparison purposes a 450 four-strokes produces approximately 34 foot-pounds.

http://twostrokemotocross.com/2011/01/mxas-2011-yz-250-vs-yz-250f/

Edited by Tony477g

its prob close, although the 250f will be lots easier to ride, and much more forgiving when you make a mistake. 250 2 strokes bite hard

the reason the 4t is more tractable is the fact that it (250 4t) has less power. Less power = less wheel spin.

its prob close, although the 250f will be lots easier to ride, and much more forgiving when you make a mistake. 250 2 strokes bite hard

What do you mean by that? When i make a mistake and i go down no matter what bike i usually go down hard:goofy:

What do you mean by that? When i make a mistake and i go down no matter what bike i usually go down hard:goofy:

what he means is a 250 2 stroke has more power and snap so it all happens faster. You have less time to think OH Shi

what he means is a 250 2 stroke has more power and snap so it all happens faster. You have less time to think OH Shi

Now that makes sense haha

A properly tuned 250cc two-stroke has a lot of bottom end power. I ride two-strokes and a four-stroke occasionally and I have to say that my 2007 YZ250 has plenty of bottom end power. It's definitely true that you will experience more rear wheel spin with a 250cc two-stroke than you will with a 250cc four-stroke. However, it has never caused me any significant problems when trail riding which is what I mostly do with all of my bikes.

Riding the 250f around obstacles and going slow is where it is easier to ride. Having said that, if you want to go faster, for cheaper, and have more fun. get the 250, without the f...

Once you know how to use the 2t hit and power to your advantage you can steer with the rear, so yes the 4t is more tractable, but I have more fun slinging the 2t all over the trails.

I have more fun just ripping a 2 stroke wide open. I use mine mainly for trail bikes, and they have plenty of low end power to scoot through.

i ride tones of trails. creeks, big hill climbs, tight trails, open fields, you name it. i ride a 2001 kx250. let me tell you . . . once you get the hang of using the clutch and power of the bike you will fall in love! my bike has plenty of low end torque.

when we are riding we trade bikes every once in a while. i jumped on my buddies 2007 yz250f. sure i could go a little slower in the tight stuff without clutching but who wants to go slow?! haha the power was nothing compared to my 250 2t. i couldnt wait to get off and get back on my bike.

also its fun to whip everybody in drag races in the fields. i raced a yz250f, Polaris predator 500, outlaw 525, an old it490, two trx450s and guys who won multipule times . . . . this guy right here!!!!

just cant tell you how much i love this bike

hope i could help a little. or just waste your time with my babbling haha

good luck man!

i have an 05 crf250 and 05 cr250, i've been riding the crf for the past 6 or so years, i just picked up my cr used last may and ever since last may i've never gotten back on my 250f literally it just collects dust now, without a doubt my cr has loads more power then my 250f, i find the bottom on my 250f is actually slightly weaker then my cr250. can't go wrong with a 250 2 stroke!

A 250 smoker will have far more power everywhere than your 250f, and since the motor is producing power with every downstroke of the piston, the power has a "right now" quality that just does not happen with a thumper. I think you will enjoy the smoker. If the power is too abrupt, there are 2 very simple and low cost solutions; put on a FWW, or a throttle cam system. Both are about $100 new, and you could probably find used FWWs for <$50.

If you choose a KTM 250, the solution is even easier, as simple PV adjustments can dramatically alter the character of the motor.

As most others have said a 125 is nothing like a 250. The 250 will feel a lot more like the 250f. I went from an 07 CRF250R to an 03 CR250R and honestly they feel really similar power wise. I enjoy the CR much more.

As most others have said a 125 is nothing like a 250. The 250 will feel a lot more like the 250f. I went from an 07 CRF250R to an 03 CR250R and honestly they feel really similar power wise. I enjoy the CR much more.

Ya in motocross there allowing the 250 2 strokes with the 250f. So then what's the advantage of 250f's if the power is similiar?

hp doesn't mean anything with out torque.. Also though torque doesn't mean anything if you're not using it.. you're comparing apples to oranges..

a 4stroke makes its torque earlier and linear compared to the two stroke..

Bottom end comparison from a 250f to a 250tsmoke is a big difference.. How ever if you can get the two stroke up into the powerband and keep it there then that's a whole different ball game..

hp doesn't mean anything with out torque.. Also though torque doesn't mean anything if you're not using it.. you're comparing apples to oranges..

a 4stroke makes its torque earlier and linear compared to the two stroke..

Bottom end comparison from a 250f to a 250tsmoke is a big difference.. How ever if you can get the two stroke up into the powerband and keep it there then that's a whole different ball game..

You are wrong by implying that a 250f has more bottom end torque than a 250T. The smoker simply has more torque everywhere on the curve.

You are wrong by implying that a 250f has more bottom end torque than a 250T. The smoker simply has more torque everywhere on the curve.

last time I rode a 250 two smoke it didn't do so well in corners lugging it around.. How ever this comes back to useable torque and it being linear! stop arguing the point that it is simply alot easier to use the bottom end of a 250f vs a 250t

From what I have ridden, both have a substantial amount of torque. So much and so similar it's not worth arguing.

dude this is such a stupid study because a 250f doesnt have jack shit on a 250 2 smoke. its more comparable to a 125 2 stroke which has less torque then a 250f. you cannot compare them