2009 TE510 Aftermarket Exhaust

Some very basic questions:

My very limited understanding is that I can get some power gain from installing an after market exhaust system and that if I do so I need to adjust the fuel mapping to suit the new exhaust.

Can someone please confirm/elaborate on this please.

Much appreciated.

not sure about the mapping issue? but i do know that just by putting an slip-on pipe you'll have gains through out. fmf now offers pipes for huskys so enjoy! also on my kx250 neither prociruit or fmf suggested re-jetting how ever it did help. but not sure how this fuel injected crap works?

Thanks for the reply. I had a look at the FMF offerings....not bad and cheaper than I thought too. I just ordered the cable and software from SEMCO to hookup to the EFI system, so if changes are required hopefully I can do it with this.

not sure about the mapping issue? but i do know that just by putting an slip-on pipe you'll have gains through out. fmf now offers pipes for huskys so enjoy! also on my kx250 neither prociruit or fmf suggested re-jetting how ever it did help. but not sure how this fuel injected crap works?

For me the big let down on EFI is the majority of the bikes use open loop systems that don't compensate for altitude. I'm not an expert but I think the EFI systems that use closed loop (oxygen sensor on head or mid pipe) sample the exhaust charge and make changes accordingly. This is how auto EFI works.

When EFI was coming I was under the impression they would have an oxygen sensor on the intake side to sample air density to make "jetting" changes on the fly but NOOOOOO! :smirk:

Both our 2010 and 2011 bikes have the Lambda (oxygen) sensor. It is removed in the "power up" on the Mikuni system in the 2010. The Keihin system on the 2011 retains the Lambda with it's "power up" modification.

I believe the older lambdas were narrow band. From what I've read the tunable systems have a wide-band O2 sensor (lambda) that remains in (or can remain in ) and can adjust the A/F to richer settings than the narrow band.

If I'm full of it I'm sure I'll find out pretty soon....:smirk: