Sign in to follow this  

A couple fitment questions

I recently rebuilt my '93 YZ 125 and still have a few parts that I just can't get to go back on right. First is the pipe. I got an OEM pipe off ebay to replace the old banged up aftermarket pipe that was on it previously, and I can't get it to line up with the bottom pipe mount. Here's how far off it is (yes, I have it secured on with a zip-tie for now, just to secure it a little more)

pk1uQh.jpg

Now, is this just a pipe alignment issue? I had to bend the pipe slightly to get the silencer-end to go under the airbox properly. The silencer and end of the header pipe seem to be aligned perfectly at this point. I'm not sure how I could bend it so the bottom mount would fit as well.

My second issue is with the carburetor and the reed valve fitting. Here's a picture:

o4kETh.jpg

Notice how it just doesn't quite fit all the way on, it's only about halfway. With the clamps tightened up it's secure enough, but I'm still wary about it popping out of place while I'm riding. I tried putting a flexible rubber coupling around it, but I guess it ended up screwing up the intake-flow and the bike wouldn't even start. Any ideas on what to do with this? I may just put some beefier hose clamps on to secure it in place a little more.

These aren't major problems, but they're really bugging me, so any suggestions would be sweet, thanks!

93 is a relatively old bike. That being said, the pipe is more than likely not in it's original shape. There is not really much you can do about it without being destructive. Get creative and make an adapter out of aluminum plate.

To correct the second problem, you will want to loosen the rear clamp (the one that is holding on the air box boot). Then, Push the carb into the forward boot and tighten the clamp. After the forward clamp is tight, re-attach the rear boot and tighten the clamp. It is CRITICAL that these two connections are made correctly or your bike will suck air and dirt....it will never run right and will not last.

These boots are notorious for drying out and causing this problem. If you cannot get the carb into the forward boot, you will want to consider buying a new one. They are much more flexible and easier to work with.

93 is a relatively old bike. That being said, the pipe is more than likely not in it's original shape. There is not really much you can do about it without being destructive. Get creative and make an adapter out of aluminum plate.

To correct the second problem, you will want to loosen the rear clamp (the one that is holding on the air box boot). Then, Push the carb into the forward boot and tighten the clamp. After the forward clamp is tight, re-attach the rear boot and tighten the clamp. It is CRITICAL that these two connections are made correctly or your bike will suck air and dirt....it will never run right and will not last.

These boots are notorious for drying out and causing this problem. If you cannot get the carb into the forward boot, you will want to consider buying a new one. They are much more flexible and easier to work with.

Thanks for the advice!