Kawasaki VS. Yamaha

Okay so I'm a for sure 2 stroke rider so this is between the kx and yz 250's. I basically just want some opinions and to know differences between the two bikes. Tell me your thoughts between the two on the overall better bike (any year). Whats better for power, top end, bottom end, trails, race, looks, reliability, cost, etc...etc...... let me know your thoughts so I can choose..................I currently have a 2002 kdx 220 which has been a great bike with lots of power

power all around would be the kx most likely, bottom end is definitely yamaha and top end is definitely kawi. on trails i like the yz. looks i guess is preference. i dont usually pick bikes by how they look. reliability is yamaha but all 2 strokes are reliable compared to 4 strokes and you can get an 06 yz250 which is gonna be the same as the 11 for about half the cost so thats a good buy. handling is the yami. both these bikes will blow your kdx away so i think you should go with the yamaha for reliability purposes because going from the 220 to either of these bikes, the power will be there and you will probably not be able to use all of it. just my 2 cents

What years are you looking at?

If you want a tank of a bike go with a Yamaha they are known for their reliability and Kawasaki's are known for their power. I don't want a bunch of people hating me for saying this, but from what I've seen Yamaha's have been way more reliable than Kawasaki's, but this is just what I've seen you may have had a different experience.

If you want a tank of a bike go with a Yamaha they are known for their reliability and Kawasaki's are known for their power. I don't want a bunch of people hating me for saying this, but from what I've seen Yamaha's have been way more reliable than Kawasaki's, but this is just what I've seen you may have had a different experience.

for the most part that is completely true and i agree 100%

for this guy coming of a kdx i just feel like the power will be enough on either bike though

Believe it or not my kdx has been a great bike no problems and power wise I've been able to do anything my friends yz 250 has, and my bike has plenty of torque I was just wanting to switch it up some and was curious if the kx would be a bigger step up in power next to the yz

well maybe you are better rider then him then,

In tight terrain it is very hard to beat the KDX. Reliable as a hammer and will embarrass many more "advanced" bikes. Just ask Jeff Fredette. With proper care any 2st today is reliable and capable. Just adjust to your needs. Good luck.

It depends on how old of a bike you're looking at. The Kawis were the bike to beat in the mid-to-late '90s, but Yamaha got the advantage over them in about '99.

Why are these threads labeled "vs"? Anyways, go with the cleanest and newest you can find and take care of it. Personally I prefer Yamaha for their reliability.

I'm a KX fan, but if you have to choose between a Kawi and a Yamaha it's hard to go wrong. They are both great bikes and easy to work on. I picked Kawasaki because the dealer is right arround the corner and Yamaha is across town from me.

You might want to consider a 125 2st. Lots of bottem and lighter in the trails. Great for tight cornering. Just my thoughts. Have fun.

Im the same way.

i need some help on a bigger bike.

but one i can fit on, feel im forced to go on older two shocker's as of my seam of 30 in.

was thinking Yamaha MX 400B.

look's like it's ok and seem's like it's lower than most other's.

i know it would ride ok.

Had a 74 YZ 125 once, it was ok, fast,,,, but handling wasnt great.

Like older husky's and maico's and CZ's,

never rode one though.

Like older72,73 Bultaco 250 Pursang's too.

they are cool looking bike.

heard that Bul's break rod's but i think that is a falllacy,

Older rider from 70's.

the 73, 74 CZ's Maico's and Bul's, would be nice.

this 83 KDX is ok, good power,

but dont feel right.

Have 86 KX 500 too.It's in for service right now.

Still Kinda tall though.

Please someone tell me that older one's like maico's and the like dont have glitch's like one's that dont know them say about them. I think it's the bike. and how you take care of it.

not rumor's.

If you have the opportunity sit on a KX and a YZ and see how they feel to you. Don't know if ergos are a big deal to you but it's been my experience that you get the feeling of sitting ON a KX and sitting IN a YZ. Just my 2 cents also.

I need an older bike like a 250M elsinore, or any ofthe mid 70's bike's.

modern bike's are tootall or wierd toi me,

saw yamaha's and was on them.

didnt like them at all.

Like the older CZ 250's 400's.

Yamaha 360MX's. or 72 TM 400' Suzuki's.

that set lower.

360 mx.......ha.....and all of the 2" of suspention travel!!!

My understanding of the KX is it is a rear wheel turning bike. I don't like that idea for me so I never bought one. I like the YZ.

Im the same way.

i need some help on a bigger bike.

but one i can fit on, feel im forced to go on older two shocker's as of my seam of 30 in.

was thinking Yamaha MX 400B.

look's like it's ok and seem's like it's lower than most other's.

i know it would ride ok.

Had a 74 YZ 125 once, it was ok, fast,,,, but handling wasnt great.

Like older husky's and maico's and CZ's,

never rode one though.

Like older72,73 Bultaco 250 Pursang's too.

they are cool looking bike.

heard that Bul's break rod's but i think that is a falllacy,

Older rider from 70's.

the 73, 74 CZ's Maico's and Bul's, would be nice.

this 83 KDX is ok, good power,

but dont feel right.

Have 86 KX 500 too.It's in for service right now.

Still Kinda tall though.

Please someone tell me that older one's like maico's and the like dont have glitch's like one's that dont know them say about them. I think it's the bike. and how you take care of it.

not rumor's.

You should start a thread in the vintage section those guy's will know more about what you want.

From what i've heard, you really cant go wrong with a 2 stroke. Yamaha, being known for reliability is probably the road you want to go down, coming from the kdx 220. The power will be a step up either way, and if you ride a two stroke right, then you should be worrying about reliability, not power. I would go with Yamaha

Even if you fan the clutch and keep it on the pipe 2 strokes are reliable. That being said a new top end is considered maintanence especially on a 2 stroke. Keep in mind that top end is what like $250 and realasy to do. A 4 stroke on the other hand is maybe $350 or 400 unless it is time for a complete rebuild with valves and valve seats. This is much more difficult to do and more costly.

well,I got this KX 500 out of Az i saw it there in this place that this guy has that sell's older MX bike's/

so i wanted it as Id never saw any 500's that were in decent cond.

or good priced.

so I grabbed it.

I like the color green too.

I got it here to kansas,

got on it?

really comfy bike where thing's are right where you want them without leaning too much forward.

seat, bar's peg's shifter is right where you want it. and not tooo lok like alot of honda's ive seen arrrggghhh,

anyway.

I think It'll be a good back road's or open area bike. lot's of power.nice seat. nice suspension a bit soft>

but Im not racing it, so no big thing.

Im getting blue fork gaiter's for it so thiell match the blue seat.