boise area poker run may 14th

Idaho

Hosted by the singletrack club, the same folks that work tirelessly to keep your mountain trails clear of trees and legal to ride.

http://www.tvtma.com/Default.aspx?pageId=1006919

We had some unexpected bureaucratic snafu's in the permit process, but finally got approval, so even at this late date, help us make the event a successful fundraiser for BRC and local search and rescue (and ride some fun trails you might not see otherwise).

I got a question, Will this long course be a lot of whoops like is so problematic in the area?

Thanks in advance.

I'd come whoops or not but cant make it this year. Everyone that can, get out and do this, it was fun last year, seems to me even got snowed on in the high up parts. I think cows were eating some of the flagging, we got lost once or twice and there were cows there looking at me like "What?"

Im thinking on seeing if I can get the day off but I HATE endless whoops, It takes the fun out of trail riding for me. Im in it for fun not to prove how fat and out of shape I am in, or how the 650R is not so good on whoops. Just being real.

I got a question, Will this long course be a lot of whoops like is so problematic in the area?

i ride enough whoops in races, so I laid out the course to minimize them. There will be 47 whoops total, in 2 different short sections. If you're on a 650, you may want to think hard about whether you feel like doing the optional 'bonus loop' (about halfway through the long course, there is an extra 6-8 mile section). there are no whoops, but there are a rocks, ledges and a bit of an exposed sidehill on that part.

I think cows were eating some of the flagging, we got lost once or twice and there were cows there looking at me like "What?"

Sorry you won't make it this time.

this year we are marking the whole course on friday, and then doublechecking it saturday morning, so there will be minimal time for the cows to chow down. Also by starting at rabbit crk, there are far fewer intersections, which should simplify flagging and also following the flagging.

i ride enough whoops in races, so I laid out the course to minimize them. There will be 47 whoops total, in 2 different short sections. If you're on a 650, you may want to think hard about whether you feel like doing the optional 'bonus loop' (about halfway through the long course, there is an extra 6-8 mile section). there are no whoops, but there are a rocks, ledges and a bit of an exposed sidehill on that part.

LOL, 47, now thats funny shit!!!!!!!

Im probably just looking for the regular long course. I have good skills but really HATE....did I say that already? I HATE whoops.:thumbsup:

LOL, 47, now thats funny shit!!!!!!!

Im probably just looking for the regular long course. I have good skills but really HATE....did I say that already? I HATE whoops.:thumbsup:

If you get to the turnoff for the bonus loop, and you've only had fun and no scary moments, then consider taking the bonus loop. It's not bad at all for someone who rides idaho mountain trails. If you're getting tired by then, consider skipping it. That's my official advice. :confused:

Thank you sir! I appreciate your help. I hope yo meet you sometime.

Wboo,

You will be happy to learn that the Great Basin Institute has been working to knock down a lot of whoops on the single track trails on the Owyhee Front. Since January, our hand crews have spent over 3,000 man hours taking the top off of the whoops and filling in the holes. We also did some major repairs on a couple of trails with serious erosion and rutting, making them more fun AND sustainable.

For those of you who love whoops, don't worry, we didn't get all of them!!!

Also, we installed over 1,500 numbered trail markers, and the BLM now has a map of the area on their website with all of the trail numbers.

http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medialib/blm/id/ohv.Par.66314.File.dat/Murphy_poster_public_lowres2OPT_508.pdf

Happy SMOOTH Trails,

Bill Dart

Great Basin Insitute Idaho Program Coordinator

You will be happy to learn that the Great Basin Institute has been working to knock down a lot of whoops on the single track trails on the Owyhee Front. Since January, our hand crews have spent over 3,000 man hours taking the top off of the whoops and filling in the holes.

Earlier this year my son and I came across a single track out there you guys had worked... it was Mo' Betta!! Thanks for you and your guys work!

Also, we installed over 1,500 numbered trail markers, and the BLM now has a map of the area on their website with all of the trail numbers.

http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medialib/blm/id/ohv.Par.66314.File.dat/Murphy_poster_public_lowres2OPT_508.pdf

Sweet! Thanks for the link. Do we know when BLM will be stocking the map cans with hard copies?

It was a pleasure to have met you ORBABILL, and gotten a map from you. Hope to one day see you out riding. I want to try that KTM 300? you have. thanks for the info and the hard work.

Ray

Gonna be in the mid 70's this weekend, nice weather for the event! See you out there!:thumbsup:

Can somebody tell me the sound level check that we need to pass? Current saddle is a '09 YZ450F with FMF Factory 4.1 System TI exhaust. I've ordered the standard spark arrestor which should be here in time. It has been a nightmare to find the 94db silencer/SA combo to fit this exhaust and is out of stock nation wide. I hope to have it from FMF come Idaho City 100 so my bike might still be rather loud with just the standard SA.

Can somebody tell me the sound level check that we need to pass? Current saddle is a '09 YZ450F with FMF Factory 4.1 System TI exhaust. I've ordered the standard spark arrestor which should be here in time. It has been a nightmare to find the 94db silencer/SA combo to fit this exhaust and is out of stock nation wide. I hope to have it from FMF come Idaho City 100 so my bike might still be rather loud with just the standard SA.

You should be ok -- last year we didn't have anyone fail. :thumbsup: I think the actual limit for BLM lands is 99 DB -- I'll double check on it.

The riding should be really, really excellent this weekend. :confused::banana::worthy:

Sound level is 96db though-out the state.

There were a couple bikes last year that I have my doubts really made that level, but they were passed......they seemed to be more watchful for spark arrestors

I'm bummed that I have to miss this it year. Last years long loop was a good mix of riding and fun, even the cool weather and being snowed on a little bit wasn't bad..........guess there was one rocky section across a ridge top that about jarred my teeth out on the way in that I really didn't care for, and one annoying rider that kept trying to use people for race passing practice, but overall is was a good time for a good cause.

Sounds like it's gonna be a fun event. Sadly, I won't be in attendance due to the job getting in the way again.

If your DB level is too high,you should attend the event and you might win a prize from one of the awesome sponsers like Pro Moto Billet, Carls Cycle, Moto Tech, Moto One, Canyon Honda or Treasure Valley Motorsports just to name a few :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: The prizes should be EPIC this year -- even better than last year. :confused:

Ill be there!!!! yea!!!!!!!!!

What a fun (mostly) ride. I hope the guy who was life flighted out is ok. It seemed to me he had a bad concussion and a possible dislocated hip. He is one lucky guy. It was nice to see all the guys stick around to help. If anyone has an update on his condition please post it.

On another note......it was nice to have met some people out there and the trail was fairly well marked overall. Had a great time, thanks TVTMA!

In case any one is wondering who I am, here I am before I got going.

0514010916.jpg