CR 500 rekluse clutch

I have a CR 500 that I am thinking about putting a rekluse clutch in. Has anyone had any experince with the z-start or maybe found another bike that has the same specs that allow to use the EXP. I have not rode a bike with one of these clutches in but have been told they work great. Any help would be appreciated.

YOu're going to want the PRO for that CR500, not the zstart. The Pro was developed initially for the Harley Davidson Street bike, and then that design got propogated to the dirt bikes. The Pro's better capable of handling alot of torque, plus, if you need to disengage the clutch at high rpm, like w/ a stuck throttle, the pro's going to disengage much faster than the zstart.

Thanks for the info, are any other auto clutches worth persuing or is the rekluse best one to get?

I had a Z Start Pro in my 500 AF and was a giant nightmare I couldnt keep the bike from overheating ( I ride in the east=tight and slower technical type riding) no matter what I did I couldnt get the bike to stop over heating which it never did before, after many conversations I suspect that the rekluse just didnt have the clamping force to deal with tourque that the 500 has if I remember correctly they fixed that problem but I wasnt interested in chasing that tail. If you ride where the bike breathes regular I would say go for it, but if not I would seriously question putting one in.....02

At this time, the Z-start Pro works great in the CR500. It takes a large amount of TC balls to get the correct clamping force and gearing plays a factor too. The EXP does not have enough clamping force, yet.

I recommend the Pro in the CR500, very nice if set up properly. I only use them for tight woods, rocks and all the nasty stuff, I don't prefer them for mx.

As for overheating, sounds like that bike may have been running in a lean spot or carburetion. If the Pro is not properly set up and/or the bike ridden in a gear that's 1-or-2 too high, the clutch will "slip" the motor to a certain working load/rpm and keep it there. If your carburetion happens to be rather lean at that rpm/load area, you're gonna overheat a 500, Rekluse or not. Seen it a million times...

At this time, the Z-start Pro works great in the CR500. It takes a large amount of TC balls to get the correct clamping force and gearing plays a factor too. The EXP does not have enough clamping force, yet.

Idahojoe,

I- among several CR500 riders would like to hear the technical response for the -in question- EXP clutches on the CR5s.

im puttin the barnett carbon fiber dirt digger clutch kit in my 01 cr 500 talked to a couple guys who love em. barnett calaims youl gain round an extra 20% of engine torque,and the carbon fiber can handle the heat way better ,

now my question is do clutch bolt torque remain the same as stock specs i heard 7.2 ft lbs

15 TC balls and the light spring in my 500 running the pro. I love it..... Steep, tight technical, no problem......

Been riding cr500's with the pro for years now.. Awesome just awesome.. I ride tight and gnarly single track as well as hare scrambles.. They just make riding fun and even more so when you get tired and start normally making mistakes..

as far as overheating goes, couldn't you just run oversized radiators, and/or alcohol coolant?

there is no reason for the cr 500 to overheat with a rekluse.. His problem is something else if he admits it or not.. Mine and about 6 others NEVER overheat at all and we run them hard, Even in sand.. Run it and have fun

Thanks for the info, my 500 is an AF that I did myself and I only weigh 160 pounds so anything that I can do to help from having to kick on it will make it that much more enjoyable. I mainly built it to ride it in the sand so I hope it doesnt end up getting the clutch too hot like some have mentioned.

Thanks for the info, my 500 is an AF that I did myself and I only weigh 160 pounds so anything that I can do to help from having to kick on it will make it that much more enjoyable. I mainly built it to ride it in the sand so I hope it doesnt end up getting the clutch too hot like some have mentioned.

Here is one thing that helps on the kicking dept:

2291546150051373056S600x600Q85.jpg

Ive not had any experience with decomp valves on 2 strokes. How does that one work and where do you get?

Ive not had any experience with decomp valves on 2 strokes. How does that one work and where do you get?

Adam Millar at Millar Racing is a good source of info, service and tuning for CR500's. An awesome resource. Click here for web site

To operate this valve, just push it down and once the motor starts it re-sets.

Here are some pics of my install:

2077133890051373056S600x600Q85.jpg

2104463570051373056S600x600Q85.jpg

2701639830051373056S600x600Q85.jpg

I have been using it for 3 years trouble free.....

2285218100051373056S600x600Q85.jpg

More pics:Clicky

Thank you for the pics and info. Very nice job on your bike!!!! I noticed that you used a teem trubble frame. Mike does a nice job. Did you get that from him very long ago? I ordered and paid for a pipe and silencer from him when I was building my bike in 09. Unfortunately he never sent them to me or sent my money back. I was told he went out of business. I talked to Pro Circuit since they refered me to him since he had pipes in stock, they finally cut me a deal on a pipe and silencer. It sucks I had to pay for them twice. If anybody has had any dealings with him or know how to get in touch with him I would greatly appreciate it!!!!!!

Thank you for the pics and info. Very nice job on your bike!!!! I noticed that you used a teem trubble frame. Mike does a nice job. Did you get that from him very long ago? I ordered and paid for a pipe and silencer from him when I was building my bike in 09. Unfortunately he never sent them to me or sent my money back. I was told he went out of business. I talked to Pro Circuit since they refered me to him since he had pipes in stock, they finally cut me a deal on a pipe and silencer. It sucks I had to pay for them twice. If anybody has had any dealings with him or know how to get in touch with him I would greatly appreciate it!!!!!!

I was one of the lucky ones. It did take him a whole year to get my frame done......

ive often wondered about getting a rekluse clutch for my cr500. when you guys say the pro clutch do you mean the z-start pro ? or is there another type of clutch out there called pro ?

dont get a rekluse......unless you plan on putting one in every one of your bikes you buy from now on. If you run tight woods racing and riding with a big bore the pro is like cheating. I have a rekluse on my 450 4t and a 250 2t. I love it in both. I do keep two bikes without rekluse, but the are my kicker bikes. I would love to ride a CR500 with one........awsome!