Need some input

Wisconsin

If Arkansaw MX were to have basically a whole new layout that is wider, with more obstacles, larger elevation changes, and more challenging, how more often would you frequent the track? Would you consider going multiple times a month vs a couple times a season?

Also, would a price increase to $25 deter you from visiting the track or would you rather pay the extra $5 and have a better track/trails?

Your response will greatly help us in our decision for money to invest on track work. Please be honest and realistic! Thank you!

Edited by The J-ROD

Leave the MX and add more/maintain the single track...That would get me there more often...

The extra $5 is no big deal for me. Since our group likes to hit a bunch of different tracks, we probably wouldn't frequent it all that more often. Honestly, since the noon quad rule took place, we've actually come out to Arkansaw a bit less. It's one of our favorite places to go though. I'm sure I'd enjoy the track updates.

My Dad is from Grantsburg, WI. Does this make me a Wisconsinner by proxy?

Arkansaw is an OK first ride of the year. After that, a track that offers MUCH MORE technical is my target.

Giant doubles do not make a track technical.

High speed does not make a track technical either.

When you have to stop and think, "How can I get through this section quicker", you have reached technical.

Off cambers

Uphill step-ups

Downhill step-downs

Sand washes

Very tight corners (right handers)

Rhythm sections

And the ever popular whoop sections

Just my opinion

(also, be careful what you ask for...you may :thumbsup: get it...)

So, Kevin - just how many times HAVE you ridden in the last year?:confused:

With Arkansaw being at $20.00 now it helps me to justify going there seeing as I agonize over every penny I spend just to go riding these days. If the price goes up to $25.00 and the track doesn't offer up much of a change I will find it harder and harder to go there.

There is a lot of real estate at that place - can you lengthen the track? Possibly down past where the sign up booth is? I think a total track redo should at least be considered - I guarantee it would spark up interest in the track. Now, if you could keep quads off the lower track and restrict them to the upper track, better yet.

I really like the location of this place and I'd love to come out more often.

Arkansaw is an OK first ride of the year. After that, a track that offers MUCH MORE technical is my target.

When you have to stop and think, "How can I get through this section quicker", you have reached technical.

Off cambers

Uphill step-ups

Downhill step-downs

Sand washes

Rhythm sections

Just my opinion

This is our "default" track to ride. There aren't a lot of choices, and I love that I feel relatively safe at Ark, the layout is pretty good for "sucky old guys" like me.

Another five bucks wouldn't make or break me, in fact, we've been expecting it every year.

A little more variety would be nice. Already we go there quite a bit (although not yet this year; maybe tomorrow?); it would be nice to have a change of pace. We try to ride every weekend, and Ark is probably already twice a month.

I like that place because Medic Valley is just too much for an ol' feller like me, Kellogg is kinda far away, Hurricane Hills is often hard-packed and we've been going there a lot since I was much younger.

Now, if "more challenging" means "make it like Medic Valley", you will not see me there very often! I'm not a supercross rider, I don't need steep ramps to make things fun.

I loved the last layout of Jordan, too bad the open practices are all over! They made it safe and fun for sucks, but had "alternate landings" for the "big air" guys. In the past it had been more "supercrossy" (had at least one big double); their last layout seemed more like motocross to me (tables with a few "safer" doubles). I loved it.

Off cambers

Uphill step-ups

Downhill step-downs

Sand washes

Rhythm sections

Just my opinion

I'll 2nd all of this. The cost isn't an issue with me, it's ease of the track. I perfer to go to places that are a bit more of challange, unfortunately Arkansaw doesn't offer this currently, to me. I was really disapointed when the whoops got taken out.

So, Kevin - just how many times HAVE you ridden in the last year?:worthy:

None of your bees-wax, Mr. Smartypants !!!

Oh, and another $5.00...that is ONE :confused: BEER, Matt, @ Jimmy's.

I can ALWAYS justify one more beer...:thumbsup:

I was really disapointed when the whoops got taken out.

You will like the new ones I just put in, they are massive rollers.

I took your input along with my own feelings on the track(too easy) and we hauled my dad's John Deere 650G TC down to the track to do some massive renovation. I'm staying away from the Meadow Valley setup, I find that track quite boring, and also dislike their jump setup. We worked on widening the track, getting rid of the stupid little quirky curves it had, completely redid the whoops and added a massive staircase set. In the morning will be completing the build of 2 new rhythm sections and tweaking everything that we are not completely redoing right now. Next week we will be spending a bunch more time on the rest of the track. I can guarantee lap times will be longer, you will actually get a workout, actually have to do something other than pin it, and there will be far more lines to chose from. I'll post up some pictures of the changes tomorrow around noon.

We actually have the proper equipment now; 2 Bulldozers, a skidsteer, and a tractor, so we can do things right!

25.00 bucks ok,make it not so one lined and have someone water during the day,way to dusty

Rode yesterday, Sunday.

The downhill staircase (whoops) were awkward and slow, it did not help that my front end washed out and I went down >> I LIKED them. There is a much quicker way to get through them, I have not figured it out yet. Good job !!!

The whoop section IS good. Definitely challenging, and a good size, IMHO. That section is not too long, and not too short.

Dust was an issue, and there is not too much you can do about that. We had an underground watering system in Connecticut [ http://www.cccmx.com/ ] and the river next to the track made water access very simple.

Is there any thought about expanding the track UP the side of the hill (on the start end) ? If you put a loop up the side, you get an uphill w/ a reverse off camber, then back down >> not quite a Spring Creek thing, but similar. The mini's may have a hard time, and a bypass would be smart.

[Grooming this section may be difficult too...:thumbsup: ]

Definite improvements Jordan !:confused:

Rode yesterday, Sunday.

The downhill staircase (whoops) were awkward and slow, it did not help that my front end washed out and I went down >> I LIKED them. There is a much quicker way to get through them, I have not figured it out yet. Good job !!!

The whoop section IS good. Definitely challenging, and a good size, IMHO. That section is not too long, and not too short.

Dust was an issue, and there is not too much you can do about that. We had an underground watering system in Connecticut [ http://www.cccmx.com/ ] and the river next to the track made water access very simple.

Is there any thought about expanding the track UP the side of the hill (on the start end) ? If you put a loop up the side, you get an uphill w/ a reverse off camber, then back down >> not quite a Spring Creek thing, but similar. The mini's may have a hard time, and a bypass would be smart.

[Grooming this section may be difficult too...:thumbsup: ]

Definite improvements Jordan !:confused:

Thanks!

There is an underground watering system at the track, we will be trying to work out the last few kinks in it this week so it can be utilized much more.

And this Tuesday night we will be expanding the track up the side of the hill on the start end. Picture this: you come around the bowl turn after the large table in the center, there will be 2 doubles in replace of the small table, you'll dip down and there will be a step up, then another step up, and by that time you will be up the hill. 180 degree turn to right, go straight down the hill with a flyaway, go past the old rhythm section, 180 degree turn to left up the hill, right turn into rhythm section. :worthy:

"The Scoops" and I were out there Saturday; we were the ones pitted under the sign-up shed.

I got some video with my new Christmas present (a GoPro HD camera!). However, unfortunately, so far Windows Movie Maker is not liking my video! It won't export it to a movie file for me to share.

We both liked the "double-left-double-double" that you added. Really, the first double was always there, but you built it up. We never made the double-double after the left; but that's OK, it was challenging, and left us with something to try to conquer next time. Towards the end of the day, I felt like I could make it, but was too tired to try (didn't want to try that at the end of the day when I was really worn out).

We both had a lot of fun, it was nice to have the track groomed that morning!

Thanks, nice job, thanks for the fun.

Thanks!

There is an underground watering system at the track, we will be trying to work out the last few kinks in it this week so it can be utilized much more.

And this Tuesday night we will be expanding the track up the side of the hill on the start end. Picture this: you come around the bowl turn after the large table in the center, there will be 2 doubles in replace of the small table, you'll dip down and there will be a step up, then another step up, and by that time you will be up the hill. 180 degree turn to right, go straight down the hill with a flyaway, go past the old rhythm section, 180 degree turn to left up the hill, right turn into rhythm section. :thumbsup:

Well, I hate to say this but, that sounds like a GREAT idea! It'd be nice if you could do something about that bombed out bowl turn you mentioned but that's nit-picking. I'm (actually) looking forward to going out there again after the next changes. I MIGHT even have to start thinking of camping out there again this year. Good job.:confused:

It'd be nice if you could do something about that bombed out bowl turn you mentioned but that's nit-picking.:

Yeah, that bowl is roached. We're going to cut the inside in and push dirt up into the bowl so it is tapered out instead of being flat to straight wall, and you wont have such a huge advantage by going high up.

Here is a video of Scoops and I riding at Arkansaw this past Saturday (5/7/2011). It looks bad, I'm going to have to figure out which grip you twist to make the thing go, I guess.

Anyway, you can see the recent changes, including the downhill section that Kevin mentioned.

We had a lot of fun, I will make that double-double... oh yes.... I will.....

Looks like Scoops is a little too worried about how dirty his seat gets. :thumbsup:

You can upload 720p vids to YouTube. To master them that way use the drop down menu and pick High Res. Here is a 720p from my recent trip to Utah/Colorado. I heard Pete behind me so I rode a tall gear to keep the dust down. There are a number of HD vids at OldDirtGuy, that's me. I wasn't doing to post up and Utah vids until I finished them all. I have a couple of riding days left. Here's Day 4 Bonus Track it's a standard chase vid through a trail called "Rim" in Rabbit Valley Colorado. Note that you can select the vid in 720p. It was taken with a Contour 720. Some of the other vids, the ones from atop Chis' helmet come from a Contour 1080.

Enjoy!

Any updates on the track? Inquiring minds want to know...

My guess is it rained hard so no work was done?

hahahahaha, that's awesome!

how do you edit your videos? Mine started as HD, but ended up "not so much" after Windows Movie Maker was finally happy.

This could be because my PC is woefully under-equipped as well...

The best experiences I've had at Arkansaw were last year when the new dirt was in place and on a sunday after rain storms. I would rather have loam to carve through instead of dry dusty hard packed cement. I would prefer Meadow Valley style jumps but would give all that up for loamy rutted multiple lined corners. Also there is nothing wrong with low wall like berms to lean into.