Silverwood Riding area help

California

So i've been doing research on this area and seem to be confused. IS Miller Canyon / Pinnacles/ Big Pine Flat the same place with different names or three different areas? I wanna ride the silverwood area but don't know anything about it. Does anyone have a map of the riding trails and how the difficulty of the terrain?

thanks.

All different staging areas that access the trails around Lake Arrowhead.

Miller is down by Silverwood Lake on the West end of the trails.

Pinnacles is in the hills North of Lake Arrowhead in the middle of the trails.

Big Pine Flats is a camp ground North of Fawnskin on the East end of the Green Sticker trail system.

oh wow that just simplified everything!!

if i stage at miller is there a loop i can do or do i have to go down one trail and come back the same way?

oh wow that just simplified everything!!

if i stage at miller is there a loop i can do or do i have to go down one trail and come back the same way?

My preference is to stage at Pinnacles, your right at the start of some really decent trails. I don't like staging at Miller, as I've lost count of the number of close calls I've had with quads going up/down from Miller to Pinnacles.

My preference is to stage at Pinnacles, your right at the start of some really decent trails. I don't like staging at Miller, as I've lost count of the number of close calls I've had with quads going up/down from Miller to Pinnacles.

Plenty of opportunity for head-on's anywhere around Silverwood, Arrowhead, et al during a weekend. Trails or dirt roads. I personally don't even ride there weekends anymore unless absolutely necessary. I've had one head on, and several close calls on those trails. Quads and Rhino's going sideways around corners are the worst. Arrowhead - the new Gorman.

You should be able to get maps at the ranger station. If not, PM me and I will see what I can do.

Plenty of opportunity for head-on's anywhere around Silverwood, Arrowhead, et al during a weekend. Trails or dirt roads. I personally don't even ride there weekends anymore unless absolutely necessary. I've had one head on, and several close calls on those trails. Quads and Rhino's going sideways around corners are the worst. Arrowhead - the new Gorman.

:worthy::lol:I remember the first time I rode with Larry up there and he passed a kid on a quad going the same way but slow. Scared the sh$t out of the little guy he ended up going up the side of the hill and rolling it. We stopped to help until we saw his dad comming back. :confused: time to go....:thumbsup:

:smirk::lol:I remember the first time I rode with Larry up there and he passed a kid on a quad going the same way but slow. Scared the sh$t out of the little guy he ended up going up the side of the hill and rolling it. We stopped to help until we saw his dad comming back. :busted: time to go....:thumbsup:

You ahole 2 wheeled guys wreck it for qwadders all the time!!!! Believe me, I KNOW what it's like to have LT sneak up behind you and BLAST past you on his 525....all throwing rocks and $#@! while pinning it - oblivious to the havoc he's creating. I'm surprised the kid didn't wet himself.....

Hey remember that heard of Rhino's on the Arrowhead "singletrack" (I use that term very loosely) that I got all worked up with just before you and LT met up with them. :moon: LOL :p I was glad that you and LT showed up at the staging area. I was ready to load up and GET OUTTA there asap with sharon as my only backup after my little.....um....altercation :confused: with them about what defines "singletrack" and "no Rhino's allowed on SINGLE track".

The good stuff is all whooped and quadded out or worse Rhino'd out now.....:worthy:

A pretty much worthless area for 2 wheels - like so many others. The old timers remember what it was like years ago before all the big fires.....and the resulting quad invasion.

Sorry quad riders.....;)

not

I don't think its THAT bad, but I have a plate so I go lots more places than just the OHV stuff.

I don't think its THAT bad, but I have a plate so I go lots more places than just the OHV stuff.

Yep, having the plate helps quit a bit. The malt shop in Cedar Glen:banana:

Yep, having the plate helps quit a bit. The malt shop in Cedar Glen:banana:

Fawnskin for lunch is nice too !

There really arn't any whoops I'd complain about unless you ride the fire road cut outs from Silverwood to Pinnacles. I don't ride those cause they are just commuter miles. The 50" trails have some rolling and chatter whoops in spots but they add fun factor. Single track ? Only 2 miles left... but it is single track still. No way to get a quad on it without falling off the side. :thumbsup: Fire road head ons are likely. I stick to the Jeep crawls and tight stuff that quads fail on to avoid them. I hate fire roads on a bike anyway.

All in all it's still relatively close by... and fun if you pick the right time to go.

I consider 2W01 on the Big Bear side jeff, although some might consider it arrowhead. Yup, the only legal stretch left. :thumbsup::banana:

Fawnskin is great for lunch if you've got a plate. Otherwise it's pretty illegal for a fairly long distance unless you know a better way in than I do.

Here's a few links to maps:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5202570.pdf

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c5/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gjAwhwtDDw9_AI8zPwhQoY6IeDdGCqCPOBqwDLG-AAjgb6fh75uan6BdnZaY6OiooA1tkqlQ!!/dl3/d3/L2dJQSEvUUt3QS9ZQnZ3LzZfMjAwMDAwMDBBODBPSEhWTjJNMDAwMDAwMDA!/?navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&cid=stelprdb5156664&navid=360000000000000&pnavid=null&ss=110512&position=Not Yet Determined.Html&ttype=detail&pname=San Bernardino National Forest- Maps

i've been riding there for years and don't think it is that bad. Yeah, i have had some near misses but it adds to the adventure! Ride in the early morning and get away from the staging area, get off the dirt roads and come back late.

There are some loops for gs bikes but to take full advantage a dual sport is best.

Here's a few links to maps:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5202570.pdf

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c5/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gjAwhwtDDw9_AI8zPwhQoY6IeDdGCqCPOBqwDLG-AAjgb6fh75uan6BdnZaY6OiooA1tkqlQ!!/dl3/d3/L2dJQSEvUUt3QS9ZQnZ3LzZfMjAwMDAwMDBBODBPSEhWTjJNMDAwMDAwMDA!/?navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&cid=stelprdb5156664&navid=360000000000000&pnavid=null&ss=110512&position=Not Yet Determined.Html&ttype=detail&pname=San Bernardino National Forest- Maps

i've been riding there for years and don't think it is that bad. Yeah, i have had some near misses but it adds to the adventure! Ride in the early morning and get away from the staging area, get off the dirt roads and come back late.

There are some loops for gs bikes but to take full advantage a dual sport is best.

I like that attitude:thumbsup: It does add to the adventure until those near misses become direct hits:lol: I still like the place too, just not on weekends, to each his own. Be safe!

Easter sunday was a good weekend day, other than that its week days only. Love to have fun there. good loops to be had still and 40 miles plus of smiles.

Thanks for all the info!! That map is pretty detailed/ but dang is it that bad on. Weekends?!?? I would think it would be quiet there! I'll still be looking forward to riding there soon. Just be crawling around the corners..

Thanks for all the info!! That map is pretty detailed/ but dang is it that bad on. Weekends?!?? I would think it would be quiet there! I'll still be looking forward to riding there soon. Just be crawling around the corners..

Crawling around corners is not going to help you or the azzwipe coming at you full throttle. Just saying listen and look as far ahead as you can for dust.

Yeah, it get's a little crazy there on the weekends. I've personally never had a head on, but have come close with a few pucker moments. Been on at least 2 rides I can remember where one person in our group has though, and came across a third where a KTM's steering neck was completely snapped off from a head on with a quad.