Cant decide, DR650 or DRZ400 again :)

I've owned both in the past.

I purchased a brand new 2004 DR650 back in 05, rode it for 2 years and 33000kms, sold it and got a DRZ400, rode the crap out of that and then got into the euro bike phase.

At the moment im not sure what to return to.

I'm planning long roadtrips, dirt, hard offroad, commuting.

Basically, everything.

My dad has his DRZ for sale for $2500, which would make it an easy choice, but i cant help but think of the discomfort of the DRZ on the long highway stints.

Theres a 2007 DR650 nearby with 35,000kms for $4000.

What do you lot reckon?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're really doing more technical off road then the DRZ has the advantage. I own a DR650 and owned a DRZ400E from '01 to '04. Great bike ... but as you say, a torture rack on a long highway ride.

Maybe you could get a really good seat upgrade for the DRZ? Don't know what you've got in Oz in the way of seat makers, but it is worth paying the money for a nice WIDE and well made seat. Could be a game changer if you can get it comfortable for long rides. Have fun!

You can make a DR much more dirt worthy than you can make a DRZ long distance highway worthy

Amen to that! I've put many miles on both and I can attest to that. But don't buy that one for 4K with all those miles there are better deals on DRs out there.

No flame ... the XR-L is a great bike, but IMHO, the DRZ out paces it off road in stock for stock comparison. It's not faster ... but handles better, better suspension, more balanced, IMHO. The XR-L runs hot, the DRZ will never overheat nor use oil.

DR vs. XR-L:

Take both the DR650 and XR650L in stock form ... the XR650L is the better off road bike for sure. Better suspension, more ground clearance.

But there is so much you can do to the DR to up grade it. The other thing about the XR-L is how friggin' tall that sucker is. I'm only 5'6" and it was harder to handle by far than either my DR or DRZ. I owned an XR-L in '93. Bought one brand new. It was a big deal back then, rated #1 dual sport at that time.

I Did all the big organized dual sport events in California on my XR-L and rode it down to Mexico ... Baja ... and back. It's a very good bike ... but does have a few shortcomings. Some you can deal with ... other stuff you can't.

Off road the XR-L feels pretty big and top heavy on a single track trail. Lots of riders I know had trouble with the battery box frame cracking or breaking off. The rear sub frame is also very limited in what it can carry. It also will bend or break if more than 10 lbs. are put on it in rough riding. Been there, seen it in person.

The XR-L runs very hot (has no oil cooler and is only air cooled, where the DR650 is Air/Oil using the SACS system) If you ever let the oil get low on the XR-L ... not good. At speed on the highway the XR-L uses some oil (running at 70 mph like I did going from San Francisco to Baja ... and back) Nothing major but you DO have to pay attention to the level.

The DR650 is a better street bike IMO, handles twisties better, smoother on highway, can be loaded to the hilt no problems. The DR suspension can be upgraded. It lacks the ground clearance of the XR-L but it feels lighter (same weight) and is really improved with suspension mods. And a Corbin seat will make both bikes MUCH better.

Fact is ALL these bikes are basically good. If the comfort issues on the DRZ can be overcome, then that is the bike I would pick based on what use is described here.

im going to get flamed for this but xr650L sounds like what you need. ive ridden all 3 and owned 2"650L and drz400"

I like the XR650L. Looks cool and matches my CRF230F.

But for those not 6-ft plus tall, its way too tall for its weight. I have a 32" in-seam and if I'm hitting the tight technical trails, I know that beast will end up on its side on an off camber stop. My DRZ had similar issues height/weight. The DR feels lighter since it has a lower saddle. I've taken my DR through very technical trails with the stock suspension. It does help to change the sprockets to get a the gearing down for the tight stuff. I only have issues with the suspension when I open it up on open trails that have small jumps. I'm getting the suspension upgraded soon.

Either way, (DRZ-XR-DR)prepare to spend money on mods. I've spent at least $1,700-USD so far in upgrades for my 09 DR. (pumper carb/complete FMF exhaust/Corbin seat/extra wheels/sprockets R. & C.S., Renthal bars/handguards, windshield and the list goes on). I bought the bike new in late 09, and now it has about 19,000 trouble free miles.

the drz is the best dirt bike of the 3

the xrl is more in the middle

the dr650 is the best on the street

xrs do burn a bit of oil on the street, they dont turn as well as either of the suzukis but i like their supsension alot more then the dr650. im 6ft1 so the height isnt a problem for me. i bought a used dr350"offroad version" 4years ago and it gave me less problems then the xr650l or my old drz400 and i bought both of those bikes new.

• 3 weeks later...

Is the DRZ an SM or S? Either way, i would get the DRZ. you can put a 16t front sprocket and you wont be half throttle in 5th when on the highway. Then when you want dirt.. swap it back, plus DRZs are lighter, not by much.. but you can def shed some weight off them and make it more suitable for offroad. I have respect for the DR if its given to the right rider, but if you get it.. your list of "long roadtrips, dirt, hard offroad, commuting." will eventually end up as "long roadtrips, occasional dirt, ... , commuting."

and if you a$$ hurts that much get this ugly piece of crap.

http://xsquiggy.smugmug.com/photos/43320408-M.jpg

and if you a$$ hurts that much get this ugly piece of crap.

43320408-M.jpg

Looks like a Russell or something from one of the Mayer brothers.

If you're brave enough to ride more than 40 miles from your house ... without your pick-up truck ... ? you might learn the value of a seat like that.

I've ridden dual sport bikes 1000 miles in a day and done many 400 mile days, back to back. A good seat has it's place if you have to cover ground. If all you ever do is a 10 mile loop around your local riding area ... then it won't matter.

43320408-M.jpg

Looks like a Russell or something from one of the Mayer brothers.

If you're brave enough to ride more than 40 miles from your house ... without your pick-up truck ... ? you might learn the value of a seat like that.

I've ridden dual sport bikes 1000 miles in a day and done many 400 mile days, back to back. A good seat has it's place if you have to cover ground. If all you ever do is a 10 mile loop around your local riding area ... then it won't matter.

Yes, it is a Russell, and i have ridden plenty of miles in a day as well, and on a stock seat, and on different types of bikes, and without using my pickup to take me anywhere. Don't assume that you are the only experienced one on this forum, you are merely the one who decides to repeatedly put his "stats" out there. Save your lectures, this is not your dual-sporting classroom, nobody cares.

Yes, it is a Russell, and i have ridden plenty of miles in a day as well, and on a stock seat, and on different types of bikes, and without using my pickup to take me anywhere. Don't assume that you are the only experienced one on this forum, you are merely the one who decides to repeatedly put his "stats" out there. Save your lectures, this is not your dual-sporting classroom, nobody cares.

Hey Ass Hat, it wasn't me that made the ugly, smart ass comment about "ugly piece of shit". ? So get down off your Hay bale, redneck.

This forum is like a classroom, its for sharing knowledge and ideas ... not making stupid, negative comments on something you know nothing about. Why don't you ask the moderator and see what he tells you? I could refer you if you'd like.

Since you apparently already know everything and have nothing to learn from me or anyone here, why are you here? ?

Get a DR350. It has a 6 speed transmission! :prof:?:smirk:

Since ive owned both I'd say that with the 6 speed and the lack of power the dr350 has will allow it to cruise with the drz but it get smoked on the way to cruising speed. No benefits to the 350 over the 400.

Hey Ass Hat, it wasn't me that made the ugly, smart ass comment about "ugly piece of shit". ? So get down off your Hay bale, redneck.

This forum is like a classroom, its for sharing knowledge and ideas ... not making stupid, negative comments on something you know nothing about. Why don't you ask the moderator and see what he tells you? I could refer you if you'd like.

Since you apparently already know everything and have nothing to learn from me or anyone here, why are you here? ?

i made a comment on a part thats out there and you came at ME using your 'experience', when you have no idea of what mine is. Sounds to me like i hurt your feelings.. aww, dont get all butt hurt and try to insult me.. call me names and say im a redneck.. HAH!.. I am sure you have some kind of "experience" that backs why you felt that one was accurate.. but yet again.. wrong. sorry grampa thummpppprr(try saying it in 'redneck').. i dont have time for your war stories anymore and I am done posting in a thread that seems to have an "Alpha" informer in it.