XR650L: CDI Repair Instructions

With 13,500 miles on the odometer, the CDI unit failed on my XR650L. ? Having read several threads on this subject, I knew I could probably repair the CDI unit by fixing the soldered connections of the back of the printed circuit board (PCB). Therefore, I decided to repair the CDI unit myself. :busted:

I used a Dremel tool with a cutoff wheel to cut a kerf around the CDI unit as close as possible to the backside of the case. I was careful to keep the cut as shallow as possible so I could separate the case, but not grind into the printed circuit board (PCB). After I had cut through the case, I pried the back cover off the CDI unit with a flat blade screwdriver. Once the back cover was removed, I picked away the potting compound to reveal the PCB.

CDIrepairsandDelrinchainroller022.jpg

Using a magnifying glass, I closely inspected the entire printed circuit board, and resoldered every suspect connection. If the original solder would not make a good connection, I removed the original solder with desoldering braid, and applied new solder. I was particularly careful to examine the soldered joints leading to the 6-pin connector. I completed the repair by gluing the back cover onto the CDI unit with black, RTV silicone.

CDIsrepairedBResHighRoad002.jpg

After the silicone dried overnight, I reinstalled the CDI unit in my bike, and went for a 150-mile ride. I’m pleased to report the repaired CDI unit worked perfectly. :confused:

Spud :worthy:

Excellent.you can take over fixing them...i`ve been fixing them for guys here and at ADV for 2 years or so now:smirk:

B

Thanks for posting all the excellent information regarding the repair of these CDI units, Brian. :busted: The knowledge you disseminated gave me the confidence to attempt my own repair. ?

I am happy to be empowered to repair my own CDI unit. :moon: However, you could not pay me to repair another rider's CDI unit! :worthy: I'm sure I speak for many when I thank you for your generosity of repairing these CDI units for others. :confused:

Spud ?

Thanks for posting all the excellent information regarding the repair of these CDI units, Brian. ? The knowledge you disseminated gave me the confidence to attempt my own repair. ?

I am happy to be empowered to repair my own CDI unit. ? However, you could not pay me to repair another rider's CDI unit! :worthy: I'm sure I speak for many when I thank you for your generosity of repairing these CDI units for others. :confused:

Spud :moon:

Crap........i was hopin you`d take it over:banghead:

:busted:

Thanks Spud...

Seriously though.....it`s not a bad job is it???????...using a dremel with a really thin sawtooth round blade works the best,takes very little material off....and i can silicone the cover back on so you have to look twice to see the seam.........i`m not the first to do this by any means.i just did it out of necessity like you when it started stalling on me.....then read post after post of people needing help......then i offered to repair them for free...but i charge a few bucks for supplies now as the desoldering braid and solder are freekin expensive........

Anyone handy with tools can easily do this,just take care on cutting in too deep or you`re sunk,you`ll ruin the board..

B

Crap........i was hopin you`d take it over:banghead:

:worthy: ...

:busted:

...Seriously though.....it`s not a bad job is it???????...using a dremel with a really thin sawtooth round blade works the best,takes very little material off...

It's not the worst job, Brian. :moon: However, I found it requires a lot of care and patience. I think picking away the potting material is the worst part of the job. :confused:

...Anyone handy with tools can easily do this,just take care on cutting in too deep or you`re sunk,you`ll ruin the board..

B

Amen! ?

Spud ?

Here are links to some of the threads I found while doing my research before I tackled this repair. :busted:

http://www.motor-forum.nl/forum/list_messages/19436//

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=918809

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=959174

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=877754

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14338579&highlight=repair#post14338579

These threads contain a lot of good information; I hope you enjoy reading them. ?

I am strongly persuaded by Brian's theory that repeated heat cycles weaken the solder joints. ? I am also inclined to believe vibration is another culprit that causes the solder joints to fail. If these theories are correct, I believe my Shorai battery relocation will increase the longevity of the CDI unit. :confused:

In the stock location, the CDI unit is tightly packed in the rear of the battery "suitcase." This location does not receive any air flow to cool the CDI unit, and the CDI unit is subjected to violent movement at the rear of the frame. When the CDI unit is relocated to the airbox, the CDI unit is cooled by the high volume of air moving into the carburetor. In addition, the CDI unit is subjected to less violent movement at the center of the bike, rather than the rear of the bike. :moon:

I just de-potted my bad CDI, threw it in the oven for 10 minutes at 400°F, let it cool off, re-potted it and all was good. The problem with the XRL CDI is that the solder links crack ... throwing it in the oven for 10 minutes melts and flows the solder links back in.

It's not rocket science, I've done this several times with bad computer boards with good results. ?

I just de-potted my bad CDI, threw it in the oven for 10 minutes at 400°F, let it cool off, re-potted it and all was good. The problem with the XRL CDI is that the solder links crack ... throwing it in the oven for 10 minutes melts and flows the solder links back in.

It's not rocket science, I've done this several times with bad computer boards with good results. ?

I don't understand, Old Dog. If I may ask, how did you "de-pott" your CDI unit? Also, how did you "re-pott" your CDI unit?

Spud :confused:

I don't understand, Old Dog. If I may ask, how did you "de-pott" your CDI unit? Also, how did you "re-pott" your CDI unit?

Mine was covered with potting material, wasn't yours? I used silicone to replace it after I baked it. ?

Mine was covered with potting material, wasn't yours? I used silicone to replace it after I baked it. ?

Did your CDI unit look like mine in the first photograph before you baked it in the oven? I am assuming you removed the back of the CDI unit, but left the potting material intact in the front.

I can put up a thread showing step-step with pics how i do this if there is interest.....i just fixed 2 CDI`s off of a Transalp and 1 from the XRL....but it`s not hard and has been posted before..

B

Please do post such a thread, Brian. :confused: I am sure I will learn much from you, and your macro photographs of the printed circuit board are superb! ?

Did your CDI unit look like mine in the first photograph before you baked it in the oven? I am assuming you removed the back of the CDI unit, but left the potting material intact in the front.

Nope, I removed all the potting, wasn't fun ... a very meticulous procedure. If I hadn't removed all the potting it would have been a rubbery mess after I pulled it out of the oven. ?

Do you have an oven in the shop or did you use mama's???????probably got a little smokey in the house while mama was asleep..:confused:

I used Mama's ... needless to say, she wasn't impressed (she outweighs me by a good 50lbs). ?