Sign in to follow this  

crank shaft help

im doing arebuild on my 04 kx 250 it my problem is the right hand side of the crank appears to have spun on the bearing so now you can slip the new bearing on the crank end by hand . is it possible to secure this when rebuilt with a bearing sealer or is the crank half shot .ive found a new crank half for a98 model not the same part number it as a 20 tooth drive gear the 04 as 21 tooth drive gear .now hotrods sell the crank as the same 92/04 so im presuming the splines on crank are the same any info would be welcome

im doing arebuild on my 04 kx 250 it my problem is the right hand side of the crank appears to have spun on the bearing so now you can slip the new bearing on the crank end by hand . is it possible to secure this when rebuilt with a bearing sealer or is the crank half shot .ive found a new crank half for a98 model not the same part number it as a 20 tooth drive gear the 04 as 21 tooth drive gear .now hotrods sell the crank as the same 92/04 so im presuming the splines on crank are the same any info would be welcome

the crank or both halves need to be replaced. there is no practical way to "seal" or glue the bearing back on. its a bad idea to replace just one half imo, manufacturing tolerances may be enough for me to always buy them in pairs. i would just go get a hot rods crank if it is available for your bike. do a search for wiseco cranks to get opinions on those, i have not run one so i cant comment.

You could knurl the crank, basically make it grow. I did that with a piston skirt once in a diesel. :thumbsup:

AmpKnobs01.jpg

aluminum is one thing, id like to see you on that old lathe try and knurl some hardened chrome moly!