Sign in to follow this  

YZ250 big bore

I have an 08 CRF450X that I am going to sell and replace it with another 2t. I also just sold my 04 YZ250. I still have a couple CR500 steelies and I am building an 06 CRF250/CR500AF conversion. I sold the YZ because it was horrible in the dunes for my weight! I set up my 01 CR500 for strictly duning so that is a non issue now. I was going to buy a gen 3 CR250 (02-07) and put a 00-01 CR250 engine in it with a big bore kit as they make 330 kits and a 350 kit is being developed for it as well. But I will say that really like the YZ motor for a 250 2T but I still need a lil more power to hang with my buddies. The bike will be used for HS type riding and I wanted to see what info I can gather about the YZ295 compared to CR250's that have been modified. I have only ridden 2 gen 3 CR250's and the bottom end was lame. Any info would be greatly appreciated. BTW if I get another YZ it will be an 06+ for the SSS suspension. Here is a link to the thread I posted on the Honda page.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=979971&highlight=

If you were testing a 295 yz against a 295 Honda (00-01) I seriously doubt you coudl tell the difference between the two.

Remember, for the most part the factories copy each other. That 01 Honda engine is not that much different than the yz.

The honda will be much better if it's the kit I think it is over an OEM yamaha cylinder.

But the honda kit will require the correct exhaust pipe...this is crucial..

Other than that - the early hon motor looks awefully similar to the current yz motor...not much difference.

I have a 295 ported for mid-top and a couple weeks ago I spent some time back to back 07 crf 450 and my 295 and the 295 is plenty of motor. I'm 6'1.5 and 235 without gear. In the desert I was considerably faster on the lighter yz than the 450. All I can compare the 295 to the 450 is its like 450 power but opposite. The 450 has it instantly while the 295 has it from mid to top. Even with the 295 ported for mx there is still good gains down low though as well. I can't stand riding my 250 in the desert now after riding the 295. I shift a lot less and it makes the soft sandy deep whoops a lot less tiring. Peak horse power wise the 295 is going to make more than a 450x.

I'm pretty interested in a 350 kit as well for the yz. Any news on that Harris?

The honda will be much better if it's the kit I think it is over an OEM yamaha cylinder.

But the honda kit will require the correct exhaust pipe...this is crucial..

Other than that - the early hon motor looks awefully similar to the current yz motor...not much difference.

So only the Honda will need a new pipe? What is different that requires a new pipe and they YZ wont? Will a CR500 or KTM300 work if it is modified to work?

Will one cost more than the other to modify?