Sign in to follow this  

My very own MX track!

I recently inherited 35 acres of land that is now a farm but was a MX track 30yrs ago. It's the old Smackass Branch Track in Southwest Virginia.

When it was a full time track it had 2 tracks a smaller beginner / novice track that covers 2 acres and a full on pro track that covers 5 acres.

While myself and a few friends have been ridding what's left of the tracks, they both need major work.

At this time I'm planing on turning the small track into a larger (4 acres) Pro track for Quads, and the large track will be completely redesigned to a modern Pro MX style track. The land is in the Appalachian mts. so it has natural elevation changes, with a solid clay base and 12" - 15" of top soil.

I've got the equipment to do the work, but I need some input on layout of the tracks. Not looking to go into business running a MX track but I would love to have a few camp and ride weekends each year.

Anyone know anything about track design?

As a rider / racer what would you like to see in your dream track?

For me, being a beginner /novice when it comes to tracks, I would like to see some nice berms in the turns, a whoop section that isn't to wide between each whoop so I could get the hang of it and build up speed as I get better. Probably no triples and several smaller type doubles that aren't real high.Maybe a down sized dragon back, they look like fun. I think the take off ramps should be long and smooth all the way to the top with no kicker at the lip. Also make it nice and wide so there is plenty of room to pass if need be with out fear of bangin bars with some one. I tend to get intimidated by jumps that are real tall and ominous looking and I think that really hinders me from making the commitment to jump. Just my .02 worth

Wow...thats awesome.....love to have my own MX track.....If the track is more for you...then I would set it up with stuff you like.....If plan on having other riders use it...I would say its best to stay with a basic /safe style track.......

first thing you should do is make sure you can afford it. machinery for a full blown track is expensive. you can spend 10-20k on repairing the undercarriage of a bulldozer. Next insurance. liability, and lawyers. you can loose that land and everything you own in a heartbeat due to Americas court system. your first stop is going to be zoning make sure you can even move dirt on the property I've seen dnr step in and tell track owners that they affected water run off for a body of water 30 miles away [this was won because the track owner put dirt on top of the existing ground level and never changed the grade] with that your land may have been zoned to prevent any further track to be used. Unfortunately if that's the case and they find out you can be fined heavily.

Next you need a good lawyer you write up a very good waiver this can cost you more then a grand to accomplish even then it will not protect you 100% negligence is still negligence. This is why you need to setup a few companies llc. 1. that owns just the property another that leases the property and a third that runs the track. as the most if you do get sued the company will be at stake not you and at least your personal property will hopefully be shielded you may loose the acreage for just the track but not the surrounding property and your home and personal belongings.

Next insurance. you want no less then a million dollar liability plan. This is exspensive. To help even further on all ride days you need to hire an ems rig & 2 emts if you get a pramedic that will add alot more to the cost roughly 50 dollars an hour.

Third. you should consider making your track safe. Yes the big doubles ect are fun but they run a higher risk of injury and injury = risk of lawsuites.

Good luck Hope you can get it going but keep in mind of you're own financial well being and the fact America is worthless and wants everything for nothing.

sounds like primal has been there

I personally have not been there.. I just know a few owners and have an idea on how America works.

I would love to own a track but I know that for the most part you'll loose your ass on it..

Where in SW Va? I can't find Smackass Branch on Google maps anywhere.

That was the name of the track it's not an actual address. I'm just outside of Bristol VA. Close to Gate City.

first thing you should do is make sure you can afford it. machinery for a full blown track is expensive. you can spend 10-20k on repairing the undercarriage of a bulldozer. Next insurance. liability, and lawyers. you can loose that land and everything you own in a heartbeat due to Americas court system. your first stop is going to be zoning make sure you can even move dirt on the property I've seen dnr step in and tell track owners that they affected water run off for a body of water 30 miles away [this was won because the track owner put dirt on top of the existing ground level and never changed the grade] with that your land may have been zoned to prevent any further track to be used. Unfortunately if that's the case and they find out you can be fined heavily.

Next you need a good lawyer you write up a very good waiver this can cost you more then a grand to accomplish even then it will not protect you 100% negligence is still negligence. This is why you need to setup a few companies llc. 1. that owns just the property another that leases the property and a third that runs the track. as the most if you do get sued the company will be at stake not you and at least your personal property will hopefully be shielded you may loose the acreage for just the track but not the surrounding property and your home and personal belongings.

Next insurance. you want no less then a million dollar liability plan. This is exspensive. To help even further on all ride days you need to hire an ems rig & 2 emts if you get a pramedic that will add alot more to the cost roughly 50 dollars an hour.

Third. you should consider making your track safe. Yes the big doubles ect are fun but they run a higher risk of injury and injury = risk of lawsuites.

Good luck Hope you can get it going but keep in mind of you're own financial well being and the fact America is worthless and wants everything for nothing.

Valid points and well taken

Honestly if it were me and I wasn't looking into opening it as a full-time public mx track I would just keep it a private track. You'll find that its alot less stressful not having to deal with insurance and lawsuits from neighbors and possible injured riders.

Honestly if it were me and I wasn't looking into opening it as a full-time public mx track I would just keep it a private track. You'll find that its alot less stressful not having to deal with insurance and lawsuits from neighbors and possible injured riders.

Yeah I would keep it private, but still check if you can move dirt (zoning). That was a really good point. The land my parent's bought, that they now live on, had to be rezoned from farm land to house building. No idea of the technical terms, but they had to get 'permission' and pay fees to change the zoning. You can own a million acres, but the government still runs it for some reason? :thumbsup:

GP style track. Safe and a crapload of fun. Low maintenance. Just rent a dozer every so often to knock down the whoops and ruts.

If it's going to be a private track for you and your friends I would say have them over to help you build and to throw ideas off of. If they are willing it helps to have someone else to help with the cost of building a track......

And you should only let people you know that won't screw you around if they do get hurt bad. Don't let your friends invinte people you don't know or can't trust.

Looks like a "for my use only" track is the only way to go.

I'll post a few pics next time I'm out there riding.

I like to ride a very fast track with maybe one "slow" section (2 or 3 tight turns.) I like to have big sweepers that you can power all the way around, big fast rolling whoops, stepups that you barely notice you landed, and big downhill ski jumps. Oh yeah, and have some sand corners!!!

GP style track. Safe and a crapload of fun. Low maintenance. Just rent a dozer every so often to knock down the whoops and ruts.

That's a better idea. Probably just keep it between you and a couple of friends. I suppose you could look into leasing the property to an organization that takes care of all the legal, permitting and management stuff...you just get the benefit of being the land owner.:thumbsup:

Thats only if you are going to have every Tom Dick and Harry out there on it.

I my self have a track on 9 acres here at the house and the track is wide enough for four bikes wide. My track consists of two triple jumps and the 90ft triple is more like an extension but still a big jump. It has a couple table tops that are 40 to 60 ft in length and a natural double step up jump that really throws you up in the air and is real fun.

Three straight stretches that are able to get ya into fourth gear for at least 3 seconds. a double jump that is easy and some short triples.

I have friends over I know and people of that kind and I dont have no lawyers or zoning mess and paper work. We just get out and ride like Hell!!!!!

Thats only if you are going to have every Tom Dick and Harry out there on it.

I my self have a track on 9 acres here at the house and the track is wide enough for four bikes wide. My track consists of two triple jumps and the 90ft triple is more like an extension but still a big jump. It has a couple table tops that are 40 to 60 ft in length and a natural double step up jump that really throws you up in the air and is real fun.

Three straight stretches that are able to get ya into fourth gear for at least 3 seconds. a double jump that is easy and some short triples.

I have friends over I know and people of that kind and I dont have no lawyers or zoning mess and paper work. We just get out and ride like Hell!!!!!

I hope you don't have any issues but unfortunatly when someone gets hurt that needs $$$ they are going to go after you even if you think they are your best friend. Unfortunatly with americas courts they will give them what they seek.

Next you're saying no zoneing ect.. Well wait till some neighbor has enough of the noise/dust and they get dnr and local govt involved next thing you know you're paying some major fines..

I do hope this never happens but not worth the risk.. Check before you do then cover your ass if you do!