Sign in to follow this  

Suspension jumping?

Have question, cannot figure it out.

Me and my friend have 08, 09 ktm 450sxf.. both have suspension redone. I sent mine out, his was done when he got his bike. His suspension is much softer, mine much stiffer. I am good 30lbs more then him.

When either one of us ride my bike (stiffer 09) it is much harder to get distance when doing jumps, doubles, tables, etc.. very noticeable difference. When either one of us ride his bike (softer 08) it take much less work to jump further.

I been thinking it was my weight, being have followed some over tables and double and being a little short. Now it is looking like something with bike setup. Any ideas why? To me having a stiffer suspension seems like you might jump further, but I don't have enough experience to know?

Depending on the jump.....sometimes you have to compress the suspension ( to give it that spring effect )....I would think if the suspension was stiff....The bike would not compress off the jump.....so it would take more speed to make the same jump....Just my idea....

Depending on the jump.....sometimes you have to compress the suspension ( to give it that spring effect )....I would think if the suspension was stiff....The bike would not compress off the jump.....so it would take more speed to make the same jump....Just my idea....

That is the only thing that makes sense to me given the information at hand. For a quick test you could loosen the compression clickers almost all the way and test the theory.

actually too soft suspension wont pop off a jump as much, also the 09 and 08 stuff is different with the 09 stuff being much better, but yours is stiff, so it must be your rebound maybe slower than his?

his is very soft and rebound is probably faster. It is night and day difference on jumping, his bike is much easier to work. I have to preload and hit harder just to get same results, just makes more work for you.

I think you might be onto something with the rebound setting. I called my suspension guy and he suggested backing off rebound too. I Know my rear spring is about one size to stiff. Not getting the rider sag needed, have a lot of static sag to get it. Going to try on more turn out on rear spring preload.

I have a stock Ohlins rear, forks been work on. Would you go few turns out on rebound both front and back. He even suggested maybe trying less compression on front if I am not bottoming it out.

It's looking like rebound to slow, maybe the comp to much on forks, or spring rate to stiff? Might turn rebound out 2-4 clicks and see if it does anything. Going to play around with the settings this weekend. see if I can get somewhere..

can try that too .. thanks not sure what to do.. need to start adjusting.. just got it back from fork guy and been running his settings.

That is the only thing that makes sense to me given the information at hand. For a quick test you could loosen the compression clickers almost all the way and test the theory.

you know whats funny, I had a guy tell me he been running up next to me going same speed over jumps and my bike is not jumping as far as his. Now this is all making sense after riding my friends bike. Always figured I needed to lose some more weight.. might have to put the bike on a diet..

try 3 clicks less rebound front and rear, this will also make it softer on compression as it's a common bleed

I tired 3 clicks on both front and back, surprised of much the 3 clicks did. I sitll do not think it is where my buddy bike is, not sure I want it there. His bike has been my baseline and between him being hurt and bike broke I have not had the chance to compare again, nor let him try mine.

I am wondering if I should just back the settings way off and try them, like 5-10 clicks. Ohlins rear has the csc setting, from what I understand its total comp/rebound for slower speeds.

The rear spring is one size to stiff. I have to add a lot of static sag just to begin getting in rider sag or a hare out.

Little puzzled, just do not know much about suspension setup, trying to learn.