White Brothers Aries Piston

Just received my Xr600 Aries piston and ring set..

The 2 upper rings are color coated on the outside edge..1 is green and the other is green and red?there is nothing on there site or in the instructions on this.??

any help would be appreciated???

also the ring with the red and green marking is about .003 bigger then the green marked one.....

usually the upper ring is the chrome ring...the bigger ring is chrome verses the other ring is black..

So I am assuming the upper ring is the red and green marked(chrome) ring?

Edited by shen
update

If it's anything like my old one, the more silvery (chrome) colored ring goes in the top groove. The letters or dots or whatever the rings have stamped on them face up.

was a what I was thinkin..

One option is to call or email Arias Pistons and ask them.

http://www.ariaspistons.com/contactus.html

I agree that usually the top ring is the chrome one and the second ring is iron and a gray color.

Also, the uncompressed ring diameter doesn't mean anything; the installed ring end gap is what's important.

I installed the aries piston and the bike smokes like a freight train.I emailed the guy I got the piston from and he tried to tell me the 14 thousandths was normal for this piston set..I was told the norm for any bike is like 2 to 5??

anyone else run into this?it smokes so bad the oil runs ou the pipe...

the old honda piston wasn;t this bad..

anyone have the proper ring gap clearance gap for this setup

0.020" is honda's max for ring gap. Something else is wrong here. Did you have the cylinder bored to match the piston?

I installed the aries piston and the bike smokes like a freight train.I emailed the guy I got the piston from and he tried to tell me the 14 thousandths was normal for this piston set..I was told the norm for any bike is like 2 to 5??

anyone else run into this?it smokes so bad the oil runs ou the pipe...

the old honda piston wasn;t this bad..

anyone have the proper ring gap clearance gap for this setup

Are you talking about 0.014" of ring end gap or 0.014" of piston clearance?

Rule of thumb for top ring end gap is (EDIT-see posts 9 & 10 below) 0.004" per inch of bore for a street engine, so ~0.016 to 0.020" would be on-par for a 97 to 100mm bore. More end gap just means that the service limit will be reached sooner.

If you have 0.014" of piston clearance, that's bad. Really bad.

Edited by HeadTrauma
Are you talking about 0.014" of ring end gap or 0.014" of piston clearance?

Rule of thumb for top ring end gap is 0.001" per inch of bore for a street engine, so ~0.004 to 0.005" would be on-par for a 97 to 100mm bore. More end gap just means that the service limit will be reached sooner.

If you have 0.014" of piston clearance, that's bad. Really bad.

HT........i could be wrong,but........ Honda calls for 8-12 thou for ring gap on the top ring........1 thou per inch is awfully tight......i set my JE top ring to .005 and at temp the gap dissapeared.....i could actually hear a funny sound,i tore it apart and it was leaving marks on the cylinder from the ring gap abuttment.the guy at the performance shop said "how did you catch that in time".....:thumbsup:

Here`s the ring gap specs per JE......

RINGS.jpg

And yeah........ 0.014 of piston clearance would be funny.....i set my forged JE at .004

B

Edited by brianhare

My mistake, for some reason I was thinking that the clearance for each inch of bore was the total clearance and divided by four. :thumbsup:

I recall now that the compression rings in a 4.00" bore V8 I built a while back had 0.016" clearance on the top, which is the correct rule of thumb of 0.004" per inch of bore.

0.004" of total top ring clearance would probably wipe out the cylinder if it didn't break the ring land(s). :confused: I'm going to go fix my previous post right now...

My mistake, for some reason I was thinking that the clearance for each inch of bore was the total clearance and divided by four. :confused:

I recall now that the compression rings in a 4.00" bore V8 I built a while back had 0.016" clearance on the top, which is the correct rule of thumb of 0.004" per inch of bore.

0.004" of total top ring clearance would probably wipe out the cylinder if it didn't break the ring land(s). :worthy: I'm going to go fix my previous post right now...

:thumbsup:

B

Just received my Xr600 Aries piston and ring set..

The 2 upper rings are color coated on the outside edge..1 is green and the other is green and red?there is nothing on there site or in the instructions on this.??

any help would be appreciated???

If you just put this in your old cylinder without a fresh bore/hone you may have other issues. You should always at least hone a cylinder before ordering a piston. It gives you a starting point to decide if you need to bore or if you can get away with just a hone and relace with the same size rings. Tapered or barreled bores are very common with XR cylinders. Tear doen and recheck ring gap at top, center and bottom of the bore. Sounds like you need a bore and oversize to me.