bent needle

I dropped my carb needle and it bent. Can I straighten it out and use it or should I replace it? I don't really wanna wait 3 days for a new one to arrive. . . . that means no riding this weekend.

Replace it. It will never be the same again.

Just imagine what would happen if your straightened needle sticks in its channel when you are riding...

I know everyone will tell you not to ride till you replace it. But if i were you I would order one asap. take the one you have and tap it lightly with a hammer on a flat surface till flat. Then use sandpaper to polish any burrs off. Test to make sure it doesnt hang up and ride this weekend, replace it monday, the tolerance between needle and the seat is pretty large to allow fuel to pass except when the needle is fully down(closed throttle), so if it sticks there then its no problem. I could be wrong but Its worth a shot.

Straignten it as best you can, order a new one, use the old needle till you get the new one.

Do not hammer it nor sand it, you will change its' shape. Even .0001 makes a difference.

If you listen closely, you can hear natural selection calling...

If you listen closely, you can hear natural selection calling...
:thumbsup:

I won't tell you to ride with it, but I will tell you I had the same issue and managed to fix it enough to ride until the new one came in. Just depends on where and how bad it's bent. But definitely order a new one, they're cheap.

I dropped a needle tip first last year and chipped the entire tip off.I had to order a new one and just rode with the bad one for the time being and didnt really notice anything to drastic,didnt run 100% but it was ok enough to get through the weekend.

Lesson learned,now I keep a few extras in my tool box.