Sign in to follow this  

A few things to consider before buying next truck

Its funny how you watch Chevy video's and they always win vs. when you watch Ford video's they always win...:confused:

Anyone can spin anything to make them better, it amazes me at how all of these new big trucks are all amazing and so similar but so different at the same time...

These videos definitely give you something to think about, but go watch the ones for Ford winning, or for Dodge winning...honestly I dont think you can go wrong with any of them...just find what works for you, is comfortable, suits your needs, has good dealer support, and is within your budget...:thumbsup:

-mt-

:thumbsup:

That ford tailgate twist reminds me of watching T tops fly out of souped up 80s monte carlos from the twisting under hard launch at the drag track... one of the reasons most tracks wont let ya run t tops anymore. But those were unibody cars running 400+ horsepower with sticky slicks and hard launches. You really want a new "super" duty truck that has the same qualities as a 1980s unibody car?

I love reading the comments... my favorite from the last video

You see that FORD plow through that barricade!!!! Power baby!
:confused:

im a chevy guy but these new trucks are like the new bikes, they are all beasts, its all about finding the best deal on the newest truck with the best sized motor

:confused:

That ford tailgate twist reminds me of watching T tops fly out of souped up 80s monte carlos from the twisting under hard launch at the drag track... one of the reasons most tracks wont let ya run t tops anymore. But those were unibody cars running 400+ horsepower with sticky slicks and hard launches. You really want a new "super" duty truck that has the same qualities as a 1980s unibody car?

I love reading the comments... my favorite from the last video

:worthy:

CC, back in my younger days, I have a +.030 454 in a 73 SS Nova. (461 ci) and on a hard lauch, just a 3.31 posi, the rear hatch (it was a hatchback) would come unlatched. Not pop open, but rattle. It was compleely unlocked. I'd have to go back and re close it. And the steering wheel would have to be turned almost a 1/4 turn to the right on hard accel to keep it straight from all the body flex. It was a unibody with no subframe connectors. If i was ro9lling 10 mph, it was fine, only a hard launch from a dead stop. It was a fun car. :thumbsup:

CC, back in my younger days, I have a +.030 454 in a 73 SS Nova. (461 ci) and on a hard lauch, just a 3.31 posi, the rear hatch (it was a hatchback) would come unlatched. Not pop open, but rattle. It was compleely unlocked. I'd have to go back and re close it. And the steering wheel would have to be turned almost a 1/4 turn to the right on hard accel to keep it straight from all the body flex. It was a unibody with no subframe connectors. If i was ro9lling 10 mph, it was fine, only a hard launch from a dead stop. It was a fun car. :thumbsup:

I've seen cars launch so hard they end up going down the 1/4 mile on three wheels. :worthy:

I noticed that even with GM's "stiffer" frame, they're still a ton behind in GCWR than a comparable Ford

The frame that twisted so bad it buckled the tailgate is rated more?! :confused:

and also have the lowest HP and TQ numbers in class.

Less HP and TQ numbers and it still pulled faster going up a 7% grade at 6000 ft. hauling 3000lbs. Looks really bad for the Ford and Dodge...

no way I believe the towing or braking tests in any of these type of videos, no way to know if they were pushing the pedals all the way

the one where the ford tailgate was bent cannot be disputed though.

megadeth you are right though. you will never be able to prove that they are working the trucks to the max. thats why in the ford tests the ford always comes out on top and the opposite for the chevy ones. i do look at who won the power trend award, because that is very unbiased and usually tells you who has the best truck

The frame that twisted so bad it buckled the tailgate is rated more?! :confused:

Many mistakenly equate "rigidity" with "strength".

Which may be part of the reason why GM has had so many cracked frames in plow trucks....too rigid-no give. :thumbsup:

GM also had frame problems on trucks built into wreckers in the mid-late 90's (IDK if this problem still persists today). They'd crack and sometimes snap clean in half right behind the cab after a year or so, and even when reinforced and plated during the wrecker install, many would exhibit signs of frame cracks and failure.

GM also had frame problems on trucks built into wreckers in the mid-late 90's (IDK if this problem still persists today). They'd crack and sometimes snap clean in half right behind the cab after a year or so, and even when reinforced and plated during the wrecker install, many would exhibit signs of frame cracks and failure.

yeah, but the only people who abuse their trucks more than farmers are wrecker companies, not to mention that was 20 years ago.

no way I believe the towing or braking tests in any of these type of videos, no way to know if they were pushing the pedals all the way

agreed, they also didn't go into detail about how each of the trucks were spec'd, gear ratio and drive train choices will skew a test one direction or the other pretty easily.

I've lost count of the number of people who find out my truck is a 6.0 gasser and immediately respond "oh those are gutless!" They've drive the 4 speed auto trucks with 3.73 rears you often find sitting on dealer lots. Mine with 4.10s and a 5 speed stick is a completely different animal, and it gets better mileage too.

The twist video's are pretty hard to argue with though, unless you like your truck to have pretzellike tendencies :thumbsup:

I love that generation of Nova's, cool cars.

Body twist on a high powered unibody car with slicks is to be expected though... but on a supposedly heavy duty truck? no thanks.

yeah, but the only people who abuse their trucks more than farmers are wrecker companies, not to mention that was 20 years ago.

Very true, but you're not hearing about the Ford's breaking frames from plowing and wrecker duty.

IDK about the Dodge's....don't see to many Dodge wreckers.....

that vidieo looks like they disable the sway bar on the ford. But they are all nice truck i would take any of\f the BIG 3 F/D/C, but i do not like the front end on the chevy the IFS does not belong on a 3/4 or 1 ton truck IMO.

Edited by 2smokeforlife

agreed, they also didn't go into detail about how each of the trucks were spec'd, gear ratio and drive train choices will skew a test one direction or the other pretty easily.

I've lost count of the number of people who find out my truck is a 6.0 gasser and immediately respond "oh those are gutless!" They've drive the 4 speed auto trucks with 3.73 rears you often find sitting on dealer lots. Mine with 4.10s and a 5 speed stick is a completely different animal, and it gets better mileage too.

The twist video's are pretty hard to argue with though, unless you like your truck to have pretzellike tendencies :thumbsup:

Just out of morbid curiousity, what year is your truck? I have an 2006 2500hd with a five speed and it is a gutless turd and gets terrible mileage. Makes me wonder if something is horribly wrong with mine.

I sold new Fords for 4 or 5 years, they would send us to new model intros with tests like these. From what I can gather, they basically keep trying out new tests until they find some that their truck comes out on top in.

I will say that Ford seems to update and improve the half tons a lot more than the Super Duties. When I went to the 2004 F150 intro, it made the other trucks look just plain silly...I think it is the truck that started to really heat up the trucks wars and force all the mfgs to actually improve their trucks. Just look at the new Tundras vs what they offered in 2004. It should have been criminal to call the older Tundras "trucks". Same goes for all the others. The pre 2004 F150's left a lot to be desired especially the rattle trap extended cabs. Chevy had been running the same lousy truck with cosmetic upgrades for even longer than Ford. We won't even talk about the late 1990's, early 2000's dodges.

All the truck companies need to put the same effort into their big trucks regularly...and not just more powerful engines.

Just out of morbid curiousity, what year is your truck? I have an 2006 2500hd with a five speed and it is a gutless turd and gets terrible mileage. Makes me wonder if something is horribly wrong with mine.

Its a 2006 too, last year for the stick. What rear end ratio is yours? Way too many 6.0's were sold with 3.73s, for a engine that really likes to rev, the 3.73s just don't work.

Hah, I'm sorry, but if anyone buys or chooses a "best" truck based on the big three's propaganda ads, they're an idiot.

That said, I'd choose the Superduty over the other two from 99-current. Love mine, and so do most of the other farmers and ranchers in my area that actually use their trucks. Our newly acquired 05' Sierra 2500HD service truck is terrible. Feels like the damn thing is going to fall apart over our roads, the 6.0 and trans aren't bad besides 12mpg, but the truck is crap.

PS - Have fun with how that Chev handles rough roads now, probably the same as the real trucks with solid axles! But you know, without the ruggedness . . .