USD fork conversion 650L

What year bike would be good for a USD front end donor, any more desirable than the other, or does it even matter? I know that people sometimes mismatch it together from different bikes but I was gonna look for a complete front end if possible, depending on what kind of deals are out there.

05+ crf450

Go big... A big girl needs big legs. 49mm Showas ala 2000 rm250:smirk:

P5010679.jpg

Seriously, I am not sure how much it really matters. Mine are about as "off-brand" as you can get and they bolted up with some head scratching and problem solving. It all depends on how "plug and play" you want the swap to be and how much OEM stuff you want to swap over... like the speedo and such. As long as the stem is long enough and the triples dont have some crazy rake to them, you can most likely make them work.

Thumpnred she's got legs of a thoroughbred:smirk:

Good to know, I guess Ill just keep an eye out for a deal, seein that my speedo is already cracked, and the headlight is tweaked I might as well upgrade those while im at it! Thanks for the reply.

What year bike would be good for a USD front end donor, any more desirable than the other, or does it even matter? I know that people sometimes mismatch it together from different bikes but I was gonna look for a complete front end if possible, depending on what kind of deals are out there.

I think you're on the right track to see what's available - like stock parts from other models. My opinion is that mid 90's CR forks are the way to go. I was actually pretty happy with the stock forks suspension action once I had them set up for my weight and riding style. The damn things just flexed like crazy (even with a Summers fork brace), so the steering sucked.

The only mod needed to fit my USD's was having the bottom bearing seat turned down on the CR stem. This way you can use XR bearings, and everything else on the front end is from the CR.

Actually, there are some other non-stock parts there, I didn't put the L dash/speedo on, o head-light, and you need to rig a key or switch, but you'll have to do that with anything. Just don't forget those things when you're pricing everything out. I got my forks and triples for $150 & $90 for the wheel (with a decent tire even), off Ebay, a full rebuild I did myself for $50 and $60 bucks at the machine shop to have the stem turned.

I did the USD conversion on my 2001 XR650L. Found some rich kid with a 2005 CR250 with a blown motor. Sold me the whole bike for $250. A few parts were missing, but the front end was complete and that is all I wanted any way.

I got rid of the stock headlight and stock speed-o. The key mechanism is just zip tied on for the moment. I will fab up a proper dash board when I get a chance.

Here is the deal, with every change you make, you have a give and a take.

The give is; the XR don't handle as well on the pavement as she used to. Long distance on the slab would be no fun.

The take is; handling on rough terrain is much more confidence inspiring.

You will need to rebuild the donner forks to account for the weight of the XR. At a minimum, new spring, seals and fluid. And possibly a reworked shim stack.

If you sell the bike, some potential buyers will shy away because they don't understand, or it just does not add anything for them.

You will need to create few various parts. Misc bits really. It's no biggie, but you should be prepared to tinker a bit before it's all said and done.

USD.jpg

I did the USD conversion on my 2001 XR650L. Found some rich kid with a 2005 CR250 with a blown motor. Sold me the whole bike for $250. A few parts were missing, but the front end was complete and that is all I wanted any way.

I got rid of the stock headlight and stock speed-o. The key mechanism is just zip tied on for the moment. I will fab up a proper dash board when I get a chance.

Here is the deal, with every change you make, you have a give and a take.

The give is; the XR don't handle as well on the pavement as she used to. Long distance on the slab would be no fun.

The take is; handling on rough terrain is much more confidence inspiring.

You will need to rebuild the donner forks to account for the weight of the XR. At a minimum, new spring, seals and fluid. And possibly a reworked shim stack.

If you sell the bike, some potential buyers will shy away because they don't understand, or it just does not add anything for them.

You will need to create few various parts. Misc bits really. It's no biggie, but you should be prepared to tinker a bit before it's all said and done.

USD.jpg

An upside that I failed to mention on the RM250 forks. They are sprung dead on perfect for the XRL. I actually find the handling of the old girls to be much improved on the pavement. The front end is much more "planted" than it was with the flexy flyer OEM forks. Granted, properly sprung and valved MX forks aren't as soft as the OEM units, but that was an upside to me. I hated the pogo sticks...