Sign in to follow this  

01 CR250 Carb rebuild trouble

I ordered a JD jet kit, since they come so highly recommended.

I took apart my entire carb since I had half of the bike apart already, but bent it in the process of taking off the bottom portion- where the floats are. There's only one screw, on one side that holds this to the carb and up to the seal, which made me wonder why there aren't two- and made it obvious why this screw was so difficult to get out.

Anyways, I used some gasket maker and put it in a vice to hold, and was thinking that this part isn't high pressure so there probably won't be reason to replace the entire carb.

Am I right, or is it totally shot?

please no replies from people telling me about better carburetor options, I know there are better carbs but I'm not going MX- I trail ride for fun and don't want to dump all my money into this bike. If you think this will or will not hold, and what I should do once I get my JD kit for an extra-rich running bike at 2-3000' elevation, lots of spooge action. May get a gnarly/platinum fmf in the future too- dunno. That will probably require a rejet if I do.

Thanks fellas!

I took apart my entire carb since I had half of the bike apart already, but bent it in the process of taking off the bottom portion- where the floats are. There's only one screw, on one side that holds this to the carb and up to the seal

I'm confused as to exactly what you are describing here. What exactly did you bend?

Had to check the term in my manual, make sure I have it right for you.

The float bowl, bottom metal portion of the carb- it's bent from where it was connected to the opposite screw. So pretty much a bit of the bottom of the internal housing, I think the gasket maker would make it leak proof but not high-pressure proof.