Sign in to follow this  

o6 front wheel chatter at higher speeds

I recently purchased a 2oo6 450r and noticed that at higher speeds there is a front wheel chatter that occurs. The rim is pretty true from what I can tell, but I cant be sure. Any suggestions? Things I have thought of:

-spokes need to be adjusted

-rim out of whack

-also heard it could be related to the forks/clamps??

What do you mean by chatter? In a straight line? during corner entry?

If the front wheel is hopping up and down when youre running wide open in 5th gear the front wheel is probably just out of balance because of the rim lock.

bent rotor

brake pins seized

bad bearings

bent axle

Straight line ... on road or gravel. Its not a huge issue, just something to work on. I replaced the rotor because it was damaged (before I got the bike), brake pins are in good shape, bearings shouldnt have gone out with only 15hrs on the bike (checked them anyway this morning), axle I am not certain of.

How does one check the axle for trueness? It only happens a higher speeds (4-5th gear) and comes and goes. Something like ...... shake shake ...... shake shake ...... shake shake ....... etc.

Hard to really explain; never had anything like this happen before..

Its probably just an out of balance deal. Spin the rim and see of you see any wobbling on the stand. See if the wheel always stops in the same place when it stops rolling. Make sure your bearing races are lubed on the steering bearings and make sure they are set properly. Put a new front tire on it

Joe

Its probably just an out of balance deal. Spin the rim and see of you see any wobbling on the stand. See if the wheel always stops....

Joe

will do thanks!

search youtube : how to prevent axle binding. few vids will show u what to do. only takes 5 mins. 1 less thing to worry about.

search youtube : how to prevent axle binding. few vids will show u what to do. only takes 5 mins. 1 less thing to worry about.

Are you suggesting my axle is binding?

Are you suggesting my axle is binding?

It's just to make sure that the axle geometry is 90-degrees to each fork leg and that both fork legs are parallel (since the axle can "float" and seat properly when the suspension is compressed in the vid). If the axle isn't straight, then the front wheel won't spin freely and/or you'll have "force" effects that aren't in line with the rest of the bike when the front wheel moves.

Still, +1 vote for a balance problem.

Straight line ... on road or gravel. Its not a huge issue, just something to work on. I replaced the rotor because it was damaged (before I got the bike), brake pins are in good shape, bearings shouldnt have gone out with only 15hrs on the bike (checked them anyway this morning), axle I am not certain of.

How does one check the axle for trueness? It only happens a higher speeds (4-5th gear) and comes and goes. Something like ...... shake shake ...... shake shake ...... shake shake ....... etc.

Hard to really explain; never had anything like this happen before..

Even though you've checked your wheel bearings this sounds exactly like what my front wheel felt like when my wheel bearings went out. I allowed them to get wet & rust so they seized and broke up. If you put your bike on a centerstand & slowly rotate your front wheel while rocking it back and forth (right and left) and it moves at all, they're bad.

Well not sure. But like I said it only takes 5 mins, worth checking (process of elimination).

Even though you've checked your wheel bearings this sounds exactly like what my front wheel felt like when my wheel bearings went out. I allowed them to get wet & rust so they seized and broke up. If you put your bike on a centerstand & slowly rotate your front wheel while rocking it back and forth (right and left) and it moves at all, they're bad.

ill check that out too.

Edited by Shawn_Mc
No sale info in this forum please