What mods would I need for this KDX220?

Check this one out ... http://fresno.craigslist.org/mcy/2354910418.html

If I buy it, I'm wondering what mods i would need to do since its bone stock.

I'm thinking:

Stiffer fork springs

tall seat and RC high bars (I'm 6'4)

Just wondering what all I would need?

I'm not a racer so I'm not going to go crazy and squeeze every last HP I can get from it. Just looking for for the bare minimum mods to make it solid and fun. Hoping to keep my budget around $500 on mods, but willing to do more if its really worth it and necessary.

Piston Change to a Wiseco (for security as the stock ones break) <$150 if you do it yourself.

RB Carb and Head mods = $215. Huge Improvement.

Boyesen Reeds = $35

Remove airbox lid = Free

These will greatly improve performance.

You can also swap out the forks for 96 up KX forks = ~$300.

seems like the RB carb and Head mods is as much as an FMF desert pipe. which one is more bang for the buck in terms of performance?

Piston Change to a Wiseco (for security as the stock ones break) <$150 if you do it yourself.

RB Carb and Head mods = $215. Huge Improvement.

Boyesen Reeds = $35

Remove airbox lid = Free

These will greatly improve performance.

You can also swap out the forks for 96 up KX forks = ~$300.

except for the wiseco, i completely disagree. he needs to work on the suspension. the kdx suspension is wallowy for the lightest riders, at 6'4" i doubt he falls into that category.

i would do a wiseco, springs for your weight front and rear and freshen up the suspension. if you have money after that, a fatty or ganrly desert type pipe, and a decent silencer. kx front end is a good option.

I fixed the suspension on my 220 before I did anything else. I put in heavier fork springs on the front (they have .35 stock so I put in .38 for my weight) and a Racetech Gold Valve kit. The front end is both firm in the big stuff and plush and straight tracking though the loose rocks. I had to go lighter on the rear spring (4.6 in place of the stock 5.0) and the shock also got the Gold Valve treatment, though the stock shock valving is better than than the stock fork valving.

Then I added the FMF desert pipe with a matching FMF spark arrestor. Makes the bike hit softer on the bottom and then have better snap at top end.

Later, I put a Steahly flywheel weight on, mainly to help keep from stalling the engine so easily when using the touchy rear brake. It won't do anything for the low end power in combination with the rev pipe though.

I also added a Fredette Racing one piece handlebar clamp which makes the bars feel a lot more solid than the two stock clamps did.

And yeah, I put in a Wiseco at the first topend rebuild.

thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it.

I'll jump on board and say Wiseco, bars, tall seat, and springs for your weight. Plus any other maintenance items it may need (chain, sprockets, reeds, tires, brake pads, etc).

ok I need you advice on which to buy between the 2002 KDX220 in my original post or this 2000 KDX200 with a few aftermarket upgrades. They're only $200 apart so price is not an issue, just wondering which is the better more reliable bike.

http://merced.craigslist.org/mcy/2369792446.html

Stock chain is shit, so there's $75.

The 200 looks pretty good.

If I got a KDX220R, the first thing I did would be the Wiseco piston. Soft fork springs and too-low bars never left someone pushing a grenaded engine back to the truck.

After the piston, get the bars and fork springs. Don't worry about a pipe or other stuff until later.