rt 180 engine rebuild, transmission neutral now between 2nd and 3rd

Completed a rebuild on my rt 180 engine including new crank bearings and all new seals. Took the bike out today to test it out and could not get it into neutral after much messing around. Then I found it was a gear higher than I expected.

Guess I got something misplaced in the transmission since the shift pattern has gone from 1n23456 to 12n3456.

Too bad everything has to come apart again to take care of it. Shifts really nice though through every gear :thumbsup:

The transmission components really can only go in one way so I really don't know what could have gone wrong. Maybe I got a shift fork mixed up? There are two of one type and one of another... who knows.

Anyone have this trouble before?

took the clutch cover off this evening and found I had installed the segement with the incorrect marks aligned. Now why would they put two marks on there for alignment? After rotating and installing it in the correct location neutral is where it should be.

Hey man, im having a similar problem but it my problem is that my bike will not engage into second gear, not a grinding feeling but just a go to shift into second and nothing is there it will go 1 neutral nothing 3 4 5 6 i checked oil for debris, nothin if you have any ideas before i go tearing into this thing i would appreciate it, btw i got this bike for free basically, along with a 78 dt 175

Hey man, im having a similar problem but it my problem is that my bike will not engage into second gear, not a grinding feeling but just a go to shift into second and nothing is there it will go 1 neutral nothing 3 4 5 6 i checked oil for debris, nothin if you have any ideas before i go tearing into this thing i would appreciate it, btw i got this bike for free basically, along with a 78 dt 175

Bent shift fork.

Or something so loose/sloppy/broke that the short drum can move sideways easily.

But I'd guess bent fork. Remove chain, remove primary drive cover, clutch basket. While rotating shaft that clutch normally rotates on, shift through gears. Someone can help and play shifter while providing some resistance on CS sprocket.  If you can't get a true second gear, and you can see the shift drum can't move side to side, then the cases will have to be split. Sorry.

Years ago, when I was still in high school, I worked in a MC shop. The employees left their bikes out front. Some customer's idiot kid was on my bike fooling with it when I caught him and made him get off. That night, on the way home from work, I found I had no second gear. Nice. Bent fork.

Otherwise, you're missing shift dogs on a gear.

took the clutch cover off this evening and found I had installed the segement with the incorrect marks aligned. Now why would they put two marks on there for alignment? After rotating and installing it in the correct location neutral is where it should be.

Nice find. I knew it had to be something similar. You can often put the detent on backwards and it will fit, which will give all sorts of strange symptoms.  

Yamaha likes to use as many parts on as many things as possible. That's good for them and us. It also sometimes leads to confusion. 

hey thanks allot i will have to start workin on it asap hopefully its just a shift fork wish me luck