Sign in to follow this  

Bolts stripped on master cylinder

So as the topic says. Somehow the screws got so fricken tight on the front master brake cylinder over the winter, that I stripped the 2 flat screws on top.

What is the best way to remove these screws without being to evasive? I imagine they would have to be drilled out, but I want someone who has experienced this before tell me the right way of doing it.

Thanks for your time.

Take a dremel or some other cutting tool and cut a slot in the top of the screw and use a straight screwdriver. That would probably be the easiest way then replace the screws. Your talking about the screws that hold the cover on right? Use some WD-40 or Kroil to break up some of the rust

That's correct, the screws that hold on the cover. It seems I will have to invest in a dremel tool finally.

It's a good excuse to get one and you will end up using it all the time but there are other ways of making the slit like using the corner edge of a file or part of a hacksaw blade but the problem of those are you might mark up the cover itself and not just the head of the screw

I have been able to carefully cut a slit in the head with a small chisel in the past.

I have been able to carefully cut a slit in the head with a small chisel in the past.

I haven't thought of that. I'm going to give that a try, and hopefully it works out. If I put some nicks in the cover, I will just get another one as they are only $11.00

Thanks for the great tip! :thumbsup: