Sign in to follow this  

suspension settings for the middle-aged?

Is anybody in the 190-200lb range using stock suspension, and up for sharing their compression and rebound settings? Most of my seat time in the past has been in the desert with my WR, and I never touched the clickers. (I'm sure I'm not alone.)

Due to being busier, I'm now spending the time on the 80 track with my 150R... I know the mechanics behind what the settings do, but have no clue how to know which direction to go.

Also, where have you gotten springs, and what rates did you end up with?

Thanks!

i do 10 ticks and i weigh 183 lbs. but i set it when i weighed 195 and it worked great

i do 10 ticks and i weigh 183 lbs. but i set it when i weighed 195 and it worked great

Thanks, Alex, but there are four settings. (Rebound & Compression on both front and rear...) I'm certain they aren't all the same.

Stock is never going to be right. Just had our re sprung and valved for a similar weight with go-race suspension. http://go-race.com/wordpress/

Thanks. They list $350 for a revalve ($175 per end)...how much were the springs?

well in the front i do 10 ticks, in the back it should be a different process, i have my sag set at 105mm. and the rebound in the front, my buddy did and i didnt watch him and it works good so i didnt question it lol

RaceTech actually suggests the stock fork springs for 195lbs for age 45+. The weird thing is when you drop the age below 45, the fork spring rate jumps up one level, but the shock spring rate stays the same.

I don't know the mechanics of suspension, but I'm 170lbs and did the BBR Adult springs and had it re-valved front and rear. The bike works great.

Tenaja here's a link. This guy is selling front and rear BBR springs (shipped) for $92 bucks. If you want them click it now as they should go fast. I have no idea what my re-valve should have cost. It was done by a good friend that happens to be a skilled suspension tech. I had a set of bicycle pedals that he wanted and we called it even. I'm really cheap!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300555194200&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I agree with Tenaja. Get the correct sag by using the right spring first. The compresion and redound setting can only be done correctly after the bike is sprung right. Factory Connection always sets compression and rebound in a nuetral position -- a sensible place to start. Revalving is not likely necessary for most average skilled riders, unless the shock/ fork is worn heavily. Don't bother fooling with your C+R settings if it's not sprung correctly.