Sign in to follow this  

250 2t for taller person

I need your professional opinions :thumbsup:

Im looking to get a new bike for myself. and ive narrowed it down to a 250 2 stroke preferable in in the 02 year mark (green sticker reasons) What bike would best suit my taller stature. Im 6'2" but very lanky. I will mostly be riding Desert and rough single track trails. Motor is not a very big concern cause i can massage it into how i like. So im mostly looking for good ergos, handling, and suspension. If there maybe better ones in the newer range 03+ please let me know too, but i will be focusing on 2001-2002

Thanks!

Im 6'4 170 and i like the feel of the 2nd gen honda 250s 00-01. i like the that frame cause its easier to hold with your legs than the third gen and less rigid than 1st plus the 00-01 motor is excellent. I also have a tall seat it makes it easier on your knees.

moto rider...im coming off an 03 ktm 300mxc...its feels cramped...i have a tall seat on it, but just the rest of the bike feels small

I'm 6'5" with a 6'10 1/2" wingspan and I prefer the 02+ cr chassis (I have specifically been searching for and recently bought a 2002 cr250), but that is mostly personal preference as I like the narrow feel and it gives my crooked knees a little more room. As you know, the 02 is the last green sticker cr and the first year of the gen3 frame which made my search very specific. I swear that it handles better than any bike I've ever ridden (modern 450's included) and it goes where I tell it to every time. I will agree that the 00-01 chassis feels very good as well and the motor has stronger bottom end power than the 02+. As far as suspension goes, I have always been happy with the stock shock valving on every cr/crf that I've had and didn't see any room for improvement other than a stiffer rear spring. The 47mm showa's are a bit harsh on square edged hits even after a revalve and lower oil level, but I might try a set of SKF seals as they allegedly get rid of a lot of stiction, the harshness is not noticed on whoops or jumps and actually feels better there than my worked over WP's on the KTM (I still haven't given up hope on them though!)

I have a friend with a 99 YZ and it feels a bit smaller to me front to rear like the handlebars are closer to my waist when seated but that could likely be altered with different bar mounts/upper triple clamp. I did like the power output of the yz, but the handling seemed noticeably heavier than the cr. The suspension was overall almost as good as the cr but in this case the fork was almost spot on and the shock was a bit harsh, I didn't mess with the clicker's much as it was not my scoot, so take it for what it's worth.

Another friend has a kx of the same era and I just didn't care for it. The handling was slower and less responsive than the cr or yz and the suspension was definately the worst of the 3 as was the overall power.

Thanks for the great info...i also came off a 01 yz 250 and had an 05 yz. both felt like great bikes, but would benifit shorter riders, i knew the ergos could be better. There are a few clean lookin 02 cr250s around my area.

Im looking to get a new bike for myself. and ive narrowed it down to a 250 2 stroke preferable in in the 02 year mark (green sticker reasons) What bike would best suit my taller stature. Im 6'2" but very lanky. I will mostly be riding Desert and rough single track trails. Motor is not a very big concern cause i can massage it into how i like. So im mostly looking for good ergos, handling, and suspension. If there maybe better ones in the newer range 03+ please let me know too, but i will be focusing on 2001-2002

Thanks!

I am 6'1" and have extra long arms. My 01 cr 250 works great. I have a tall soft seat on it among other things. I love it. The newer gen. frames are good as well...just depends on what kind of deal you can get. I don't see myself getting rid of my 01 for a long time.:confused:

RM250 with a Bar Riser Kit. RMs are renowned for their handling especially in the tight stuff. I'm 6ft and find the ergos great while seated but find myself having to bend my back a little to far with out the bar risers while standing.

One thing to note with the CRs are they changed to the case reed motor for 02+ which some say is not as good as the previous motor however the 02+ have the Gen 3 frame.

IMO Stick with 02+ YZ/RM's or a new KTM

-CR's case-reed motors had problems

-KX's weren't bad but just 2nd to YZ and RM's

although that reads well and IMHO is a fair comparison, as you know 05 had lots of changes from 04 so that shootout doesn't translate to the same expectations of earlier (green sticker) models. This one isn't much to read, but shows much different results for (mostly) the same bikes in 2001: http://www.dirtbikemagazine.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=Publishing&mod=Publications%3A%3AArticle&mid=8F3A7027421841978F18BE895F87F791&tier=4&id=91D208FA2AF445DF98C4FD462DB3253F

Im 6'4 and a Yz guy myself (love the motor characteristics) but Ill give you my honest opinion. I feel the best feeling bike was my buddies 03 Rm 250. Dont know how much difference if any there was between the 01 and on but the cockpit on that bike felt great! That was with the stock set up, and it handled great! Very flickable and almost felt like I was riding a 125 with the power of a 250. Rode a 02 KX and it felt very cramped and tight, and there wasnt much I liked about my brothers 03 CR. Didnt handle or have the power of any of the other 3. Only Ktm Ive rode was an 08 125 sx with a 150 kit so I cant give an honest opinion on ergos with the added weight of the 250 motor.

Keep in mind that I ride strictly MX and none of the bikes but my own Yzs were set up for me so that probably played a factor. If I had to put them in order Id go RM, Yz, Kx, Cr.

Not interested in an 02 kx or 01 anything......looking at 02+ cr or 05+ kx.....well maybe now rm lol

Get the YZ250. Several reasons but best is for a couple of hundred bucks you can add 3rd, 4th, and 5th from a WR450 and that is best for your Dez riding. I'd avoid KTM stuff. Yami still makes the bike and most or all of the new parts move right over to the 2002 frame. Many of the 4T parts do to. The KTM machines are blingy and they have some nice add-ons-assuming their chosen add-ons are the ideal ones for you because they are forcing you to buy their chosen upgrades. I'd also avoid KTM for obvious parts consumption and availability reasons. Every guy I know with a non Japanese brand has problems getting parts. I don't mean obscure stuff either. You need anything from Honda and you just need to order it the day before you need it at worst. You need KTM stuff? They might have it. Or you might wait a few weeks. I've seen alot of the later.

If trendy or hip or anything like that has value to you then by all means get the KTM as they are the flavor of the moment-everyone is sooo much faster on a KTM blah blah blah. Just know they cost more upfront and in the long run. And they have yet to really finish the 1000...

Guys I know with newish YZ250 2Ts have very few problems off the MX track.

I'm 6' 4" with basketball arms, or lanky as you put it. The YZs fit well and can be opened up too. I used to ride with a friend (before his divorce) who was about 5'3" and he rode a stock and new 2002 YZ250 every weekend in the Dez. Never did a thing to it. He was very fast too. That bike never broke down and this guy did zero maintenance.

Finally, if you get a 2002 YZ green sticker bike you can get it plated.

Thanks!

As with my very first post........dont want yamaha...already owned a couple.....

on a side note....i did snag up an 05 kx250 today for 1500 bucks! so well see how she does...if i dont like it, i know i can sell it

moto rider...im coming off an 03 ktm 300mxc...its feels cramped...i have a tall seat on it, but just the rest of the bike feels small

i'm 6'2, and ktm's fit me well as long as i use bar risers, run the bars all the way forward, tall seat, and fastway pegs in the low position.

Husky 2strokes fit me pretty well right out of the box and i don't think they've changed much in the last 10 years. my 2007 kx250 also fits great, but i have no idea if the earlier kx's have similar ergos.

I'd also avoid KTM for obvious parts consumption and availability reasons. Every guy I know with a non Japanese brand has problems getting parts. I don't mean obscure stuff either. You need anything from Honda and you just need to order it the day before you need it at worst. You need KTM stuff? They might have it. Or you might wait a few weeks. I've seen alot of the later.

total bs imho.:thumbsup:

The only bikes i've *ever* had trouble getting parts for are japanese ones. There are a number of dealers that stock craploads of ktm stuff, and an awful lot of their stuff is interchangeable from year to year, or model to model. Aftermarket support is also outstanding since the majority of serious off-roaders have been on ktm for several years (go to a race if you don't believe me).

i dont have probs gettin parts for my ktm, there is a shop bout 40 min from me. a lil far, but i can order anythign i want from them, and they do stock alot of parts and are an actual dealer/service center for them. Ktms are alot better now for oem parts then all the horror stories you hear back in the day......

Anyone here in cali wanna buy a 03 ktm 300mxc? lol

Dont get me wrong everyone.....the yz 250's and and 300 have great powerbands......the ktm just didnt feel right for me....and the yz didnt handle like i always wanted it to....always in the middle