1985 xl350R suspension psi

Hey all, I've been trying to find recommended air pressure settings for the front shocks on my xl but have yet to find them online. I think maybe the Clymers manual has them but not sure. anyone got these numbers?

Back in the early and mid eighties Honda recommended using air pressure to tune the forks, that's why the fork caps have a schrader valve. In the seventies I ran two bikes without fork springs, just air pressure and oil level for tuning. The fork seals are lip seals and increases in pressure just cause a tighter seal, not a blown seal.

The problem with using air pressure is the hassle of checking and maintaining the pressure, IMO it is much easier to tune the forks for zero pressure, and bleed before a ride. Bleed valves are available in several sizes for newer forks that make bleeding just a button push.

yeh that sounds right. I have the bike for a long time and never touched them. I just notice the front end is really bouncy on most terrain especially any sort of rocks. whole front end just bounces all over the place regardless of where I'm sitting. Maybe I should bleed mine.

• 2 years later...

You guys know there are lots of folks pulling their very good XR400, later 600 and 650R forks to go USD. Those are some pretty nice forks laying around on the resale market. For the price of a set of fork springs you can buy whole set of forks that will transform the bike.