js250

xr 250 electric start?

39 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I have a 2000 XR 250 R which can be a bit hard to start when warm if I stall on a hill or that type of thing.(Happens fairly regularly due to lack of skill and the bike occasionally likes to lie down in the middle of tracks for a sleep!)

What really annoys me is when my mates then hit the electric leg and then sit there waiting while I work up a sweat kicking it in the guts to no avail.......

So the question is......... can you retro-fit an electric start on the xr 250? and if so is it a lot of dollars/effort?

Thanks

Josh

joe racer may make one, they made one for the xr400

NOT cheap, very expensive, swapping to a TTR250 would be a lot cheaper, or even a newer enduro 250 with a button

didn't Honda make a quad with the XR250 motor using electric start? Got to be some basket cases you could use parts off of out there.

the 250 quads were either kick only like the trx250x, or side mounted like the newer 250ex afaik

there is a xr250 sold in different markets with a button, but again, not cheap

a Different carb would be your best bet imo.

They usually make starting easier after taking a dirt nap, and make a more responsive bike aswell.

OR you could get the original carb jetted properly, and get the starting technique downpat, and not have a problem.

I use the last method as i really cant afford spending $400 on a carb!

Or seeing as your in australia, like me, you could find a later model xr250l (like 04 on) bottom end and fit it to your xr, or just buy a 250L

yeah...i too would go with coopz first reply and get the jetting sorted.

I have a jdm xr250 with the electric leg only...and even that would refuse to start if the jetting is off or you got the fuel/air mixture wrong...

Until a few hours ago..i was having a real tough time getting the bike started cos my fuel screw setting was off... Now she fires right up :thumbsup:

Thanks for the replies.

It sounds like I should get the jetting looked at..... Although I pulled the carby apart for a good clean and inspection a few rides ago and everything was clean as a whistle and all the stock jets etc. Someone mentioned that a hotter spark plug might be a good idea aswell.

What is the process to make sure the jetting is dialled in properly? It always seems like I'm venturing into the dark arts when it comes to jetting.

yeah...sorting out the jetting is something that seems to be quite tricky. I own a jap domestic model 96 XR250S. Run a supertrapp ear with 10 discs on stock jetting. opened up the fuel screw 1/4 turn from stock setting so hopefully i'm not running lean. Sparkplug shows that my fuel mixture is where it should be, i think :thumbsup:

But the bike stalled yesterday day when i was riding fast on hard terrain...refused to start up for a while. after meddling with the choke, fuel petcock i got her to fire up

I got the Keihin VE88 CV carb, think they are more street oriented

what, a xr that doesnt like to start after a drop? to be honest mine really doesnt give me that much trouble, as far as i know mine is all stock, i havent even opened the carb since ive had it. After a drop i just stand it up laugh about it with my buddies, kick the hell out it once and continue with the trip

You need a xr250 (MD30) left side cover and a few other bits.  Or a tornado left side cover.  It can be done if you really want it that bad.  

I think you can also get all the parts off a CBF250 and make it work that way.

Be a man and take it on!!

After a drop (and trust me I am a pro at it lately), leave it down, turn the fuel off and let the carb drain.  After it stops peeing, pick it up and it will start in 3 kicks.  Then turn the fuel back on.

This forum is not for bikes with electric start.  It's for kick only.

BTW, I was kidding.  We love E-start.  We just don't have it on XRs in the U.S. except on the XR650L.  

I am going to fit an E star to my 96 XR250,  I am just getting the parts together,  I will keep you updated on how it goes.  It looks really easy to me.

Do you think people would buy a E start kit if there was one available?

I would not be looking to make much off it more to help out and get more XR"S back out where they should be than anything.

2 people like this

I have no idea what the actual market is for this option.  Most manufacturers seem to focus on more current models for aftermarket products.  It seems buyers of new bikes have more money to spend on mods.  All the aftermarket manufacturers seem to have the same marketing plan in this respect.

The U.S. 1991-1996 XR250L has a 12 volt DC system with battery so adding e-start would be easier on those bikes.  On the dirt models you would need to change the stator, reg/rec., add battery, wiring, etc.

A good way to test the market would be to gather parts for a couple complete kits and place them on ebay to see what the value is.   Set the reserve high and see where the bidding goes.

I am going to fit an E star to my 96 XR250,  I am just getting the parts together,  I will keep you updated on how it goes.  It looks really easy to me.

I would not be looking to make much off it more to help out and get more XR"S back out where they should be than anything.

I'll buy one.

Hope you find ,the parts to make it happen roj.I have 6 Xr250/280/300s Want that estart. There not a problem to kick , but when I rent them out. Some customers cant start them.BTR

I have made some good progress this week, Will know more after this weekend but it looks Like I will need to do a flywheel exchange to make it an easy bolt on kit. 

RoJ from what I understand ,the crankshaft is longer. On left side is it possible to make extension. Or will you add custom piece to flywheel ? BR your cracking me up, make estart for 92XL 250.Your stuck in the stone age like me.BTR