xr 250 electric start?

I have gone away from doing an adaptor,  I am looking at removing the flywheel weight and turning up a new one with the taper offset to do the job of the adaptor but first I need to find a sprag bearing (one way clutch) that will work with the stock flywheel.  

Its going to take a bit of time to get all this stuff right and tested.  

• 8 months later...

Hi guys still working on my E start I am going to take the easy option.

Take one CBF250 motor remove the head and fit XR250 head to it, job done!      i have managed to find a CBF250 motor not running so it was super cheap and i am going to fit all new internals to it, but from what i understand you can bolt the XR head to the cbf bottom end and and happy days.    The cbf uses the same bottom end but with and e start.   

I will keep you updated on how it goes overseas working at the moment so it will be in a a few weeks or so.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi Guys?galls - I've just bought a XR250.  Its bad to start, really keen to fit an electric start, so I'm watching roj0000 closely. Searching e-bay for broken CBF250 engines. This seems to be the only dissadvantage to this bike. Once started its fantastic, both off read, and on. Heaps of low down rev power ?

Hi Guys?galls - I've just bought a XR250.  Its bad to start, really keen to fit an electric start, so I'm watching roj0000 closely. Searching e-bay for broken CBF250 engines. This seems to be the only dissadvantage to this bike. Once started its fantastic, both off read, and on. Heaps of low down rev power ?

There's something wrong with your bike.  XR250s are super easy to kick and should start on the first kick nine out of ten times.  What year is your bike?

It should start with 3 to 5 kicks. Once down it varies it seems. You need to do carb adjustments. Small adjust can make a huge difference in starting!

This is for all, even though people clean the carb out ive experienced the idle jet not behave correctly even thugh it looked clean, i replaced it with new (same size) and bam all was well, there had been enough abuse by po that the carb cleaning and poking it with snall reamer didnt catch it. The carb kit comes with new jets and i didnt use them because "i cleaned them it should be ok"

2 cents

Agreed, not worth converting to electric start. Dial in the jetting and make sure valves are still in spec and it should start in a couple kicks. Sometimes when I lay my xr4 down it gets flooded. I'll hold it wot and kick it over and it clears out. Just need to know technique

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Years back I rode with a retired Navy guy. I was on my Xr300 he came to Baja with a 98 Xr250 from Japan yes Estart. It looked same as my 97 Xr250/300 he even left bike in my garage for a few months. Called me asked if I wanted to buy bike for 2,500$ good deal at the time. After thinking about the work to take my 300 apart mix match parts. Then sell one I declined. To do this mod living in the US without the whole bike would be hard job. 

i was looking at cbf250 engine as an option but they fetch good money complete and i have concerns it may not all slot together quite as i would like.

starting mine is fine, until you drop it. spent 20 mins at the weekend after my wife dropped it. Will try the carb drain trick next time.

5 hours ago, FFMan said:

i was looking at cbf250 engine as an option but they fetch good money complete and i have concerns it may not all slot together quite as i would like.

starting mine is fine, until you drop it. spent 20 mins at the weekend after my wife dropped it. Will try the carb drain trick next time.

Yes I've been looking at the cbf bottom end as an option. New to motorcycles myself though. Anyone know if it will work with the starter and xr oil line location?

Screenshot_20180423-122506.png

i've studied a few pictures and as far as i can tell it will go into a wet sump xr250 frame.

i think it's recommend to swap the xr250 rvfc head onto the cbf250 but although people say it all fits, i've not come across anyone who has actually done it.

2 hours ago, FFMan said:

i've studied a few pictures and as far as i can tell it will go into a wet sump xr250 frame.

i think it's recommend to swap the xr250 rvfc head onto the cbf250 but although people say it all fits, i've not come across anyone who has actually done it.

Yes I was looking at swapped the top end of xr onto this bottom end but where the starter motor is, is where my oil line runs .

• Like 1

• 1 month later...