Sign in to follow this  

First Trials Bike - Sherco 2.9?

Hello All,

I am new to trials but not new to bikes, I have ridden an 05 gas gas 250 once in a parking lot for about 3 minutes (it was awesome). I have just sold my nicest sport bike (02 red/black CBR 600 F4i) so that I can get into trials. I got $3500 for my CBR and spent $500 on a crappy dodge cargo van (to carry the trials bike and XR250r I have). The only dealer (that I know of) in Victoria BC (where I live) is Gas Gas Pacific. I am 6ft about 195lbs and 28yrs old.

So I have about $3000 for the trials bike and I think I will be buying the sherco 2.9 below (will be looking at it tomorrow). Opinions? Things to watch for (besides sticky clutch, I know about that) on a '04 Sherco 290?

PS> Canadian prices are usually higher than U.S so the bikes aren't as badly priced as they may appear.

$2999 - 2004 sherco 290 trials

bought new bike,very good condition, good engine and trans, regular servicing with synthetics call for more details

Other options:

2005 GG 300

Seller has dropped price to $3500 but is still a bit pricey for me to justify.

http://nanaimo.en.craigslist.ca/mcy/2353774508.html

$3700 - 2006 SCORPA 250CC

also too much money for me to spend and there are not many Sorpas around (not that I really know as I have only been to one local event, but saw zero scorpa's there)

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/2006-SCORPA-250CC-TRIALS-BIKE_14488562

Other bikes within 4 hours of Victoria BC? Can only find bikes above or older TYs for ~$1200

Not a single reply to my question???? what is up? The XR forum on TT is super friendly to the newbies... is this a more private forum for people who already know each other? If so can you recommend another trials forum for Newbies?

I ended up buying the 2004 sherco 290. So far it is fun, but I won't bother with pictures, etc.unless someone cares to respond.

Not a single reply to my question???? what is up? The XR forum on TT is super friendly to the newbies... is this a more private forum for people who already know each other? If so can you recommend another trials forum for Newbies?

I ended up buying the 2004 sherco 290. So far it is fun, but I won't bother with pictures, etc.unless someone cares to respond.

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the world of trials!:thumbsup:

Patience with lack of responses- the ' what bike' questions is quite common and many may feel the info is already in past threads if you search- that may be why few reponded.

There are other forums, but I have never found one with as much activity as this one. Trials Central is fun to follow, many of the same people are helpful on both TT and TC. You can get quite a different point of view on TC and its fun to hear the different lingo used.

There are people on this forum that are very knowledgeable and helpful, it just takes a little time to settle in. As you have already probably figured out since you got a trials bike- these are some great folks involved with this sport. I have met people on this forum that have made my pursuit of this sport(not much trials in Fairbanks Alaska) possible. Hang in there and get to know some folks, you wont be sorry!

So.. how about some pics of your new prize?

Thanks Gandalf. Yes, I know the trials community is famous for being helpful and friendlier than most... kind of why I was so surprised at the lack of responses.

I am hoping to join the local club here (victoria, BC) soon (I must volunteer to help with an event first and the next event isn't for a few weeks :thumbsup: )

Since I promised pics if I got a reply, here you go :confused:

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=93947

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=93948

I love my new bike... super fun in the yard (only place I've been so far) but it takes a good 5-10 min of riding before the clutch warms up enough to work. I know this is a common issue with the sherco290 and I guess it just comes with the territory...??

The previous owner used amsoil full synthetic for engine oil.

Is there a better oil to use to help get the clutch working without so much warm up time? I have searched this (and other forums) and the options seem to be ATF-F (auto transmission fluid) or autotrackII??? I feel wierd putting ATF in instead of a motorcycle specific oil (but I am used to street bikes and 4 stroke XR250R's).

The previous owner also used amsoil pre-mix stuff for the mixing with 94 octane gas at a ratio of 50:1 (I have read about people using a ratio of up to 80:1). Should I use less, I was thinking maybe 60:1?

Thanks Gandalf. Yes, I know the trials community is famous for being helpful and friendlier than most... kind of why I was so surprised at the lack of responses.

I love my new bike... super fun in the yard (only place I've been so far) but it takes a good 5-10 min of riding before the clutch warms up enough to work. I know this is a common issue with the sherco290 and I guess it just comes with the territory...??

The previous owner used amsoil full synthetic for engine oil.

Is there a better oil to use to help get the clutch working without so much warm up time? I have searched this (and other forums) and the options seem to be ATF-F (auto transmission fluid) or autotrackII??? I feel wierd putting ATF in instead of a motorcycle specific oil (but I am used to street bikes and 4 stroke XR250R's).

The previous owner also used amsoil pre-mix stuff for the mixing with 94 octane gas at a ratio of 50:1 (I have read about people using a ratio of up to 80:1). Should I use less, I was thinking maybe 60:1?

Bike looks to be in good shape(from what the pictures show)- if the linkage and bearings are OK you should have something you can ride for awhile. Not going to chirp in on the fuel mix- I use Amzoil synthetic between 80:1 and 100:1.

I wouldnt accept the clutch as it is though- I'm guessing in shouldnt be that way- again we can hope some Sherco owners chime in on that. Trials Central does hava bike specific section and you could search those threads in the Sherco area, then ask if you dont find anything.

It appears that the foot pegs are 'drooping' abit - if they are, you might be pleasently surprised what a difference a new set can have on your footing/stance. Once I changed my droopy ones I instantly did a better job of keeping my feet away from the frame and generally improved my stance.

Trials is habit forming- I have to travel over 3000 miles to go to an event- my third one is next week in Goldendale WA, I fly out tommorrow:banana:.

Thanks Gandalf, I hope it does last a good long time. Since it is my first 2-stroke bike are there any maintenance pit-falls that 4 stroke guys are known to forget about? How will I know when it needs a rebuild?

I can't imagine how you figured out my pegs are droopy from those pics (I can't tell and can't really remember, even though I rode it yesterday) :thumbsup: but I will definitely check tonight. would you recommend a certain type of new pegs or maybe a specific source?

WOW... 3000 miles is a bit extreme... do you fly your bike down with you or keep a bike at your destination? Why not start your own Alaskan Trials club and hold your own events (I bet you would come in first most of the time) :confused:

I am going to the local trials club as a guest tonight!!!! I am pretty excited, I just hope I can make a good enough impression that they invite me back as a guest regularly for the next couple of months (as I go through the process of becoming a member).

Thanks Gandalf, I hope it does last a good long time. Since it is my first 2-stroke bike are there any maintenance pit-falls that 4 stroke guys are known to forget about? How will I know when it needs a rebuild?).

It probably never will- these things are pretty bulletproof and if you keep proper lubrication, and keep linkage, wheel bearings maintained you may never see a major repair.

I can't imagine how you figured out my pegs are droopy from those pics (I can't tell and can't really remember, even though I rode it yesterday) :thumbsup: but I will definitely check tonight. would you recommend a certain type of new pegs or maybe a specific source?).

Maybe they are not, just appeared a little sloped towards the outside- mentioned it because it made such a big difference with me- as I have learned from this forum- your feet's contact with the pegs is your most important contact with the bike in trials. No suggestions if you need new- thay can be very costly- get what you can afford if you need some. I have to go with an open basket style or I get ice build up in winter riding.

WOW... 3000 miles is a bit extreme... do you fly your bike down with you or keep a bike at your destination? Why not start your own Alaskan Trials club and hold your own events (I bet you would come in first most of the time) :confused: ).

Fortunately, a very kind person on this forum invited me down for some instruction because he could tell I was learning bad habits from my pics/videos. That would be 2Ply and if you read everything he and Laser has written on this forum you will learn alot! He has been very helpful and patient( I am still quite green at trials) and got me to my first trial after the instruction- That was it- I went from just liking trials bikes to being fascinated by the whole sport and find the added pressure of 'staying between the lines' at a trial is a blast! I am sooo green that last year I didnt realize until after the event that dabs were 'free after three' and got really strange looks from the observer when I would stop and push my bike after the fourth dab:busted:

One of the main reasons I am heading down this year is to learn as much as I can about organization as I am putting together a trials course to involve others and need to learn more about section set-up and how you deal with liability issues. I have only found a few people within 300 miles that are remotely interested in trials, so yes- I am the best and worst in the area, until someone else comes along:ride:!

Hi Bender.

Apologies buddy, I suspect you just slipped through the net with your initial post :thumbsup:

Definitely sign up to Trials Central, well worth a browse.

Sticky clutches are quite common, some are easily cured, some remain a pain in the arse (like mine). ATF is claimed to help a bit. I can tell you it has helped on my Montesa 315. I buy Dextron III in bulk and change after every full days riding. If it's been stood up for a while, all it needs is to be warmed up on the stand, then a brief run up in an open area in a high gear with the clutch pulled in - it pops off within 30 seconds usually.

As far as 2 stroke maintenance goes, keep your air filter perfect (treat yourself to a couple of spares) and drop your gear oil regularly. I wouldn't have my mix as oily as 50:1. My Mont runs at 70:1 and lots of people run at 80 or 100:1 as Gandalf has said. Stick a new plug in it now and you'll have all your bases covered.

Trials bikes eat bearings, bushes and linkages. Treat the bike and strip, check and grease everything. For most bikes this is a twice yearly event.

Nice bikes, Shercos. My next bike hopefully will be a late model 250/290.

I didn't see this post until today, but I didn't see any real question.. It looked like you had a handle on the situation and besides, I know practically nothing about Shercos. My guess is that the lack of responses could be similar to my reason.

Hang in there... You have some great people near you as I know many of them personally.

When it comes to Which Bike is "better" in Trials, there is NO clear cut winner.. I related as story recently about how this was demonstrated to me early in my riding career.

Check this TT page:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=969011&page=2

In my response to otpi1

Really, it comes down to how you feel about the bike as to how it will motivate YOU..

Again, I don't know much about Shercos and as far as I know, All of the bikes have little flaws when you ask different people but none of them have flaws that would make them obvious bad choices.

Good luck.. and have fun, you live in one of THE best places for Trials... I can tell you THAT much for sure! :thumbsup:

thanks gandalf, i hope it does last a good long time. Since it is my first 2-stroke bike are there any maintenance pit-falls that 4 stroke guys are known to forget about? How will i know when it needs a rebuild?

I can't imagine how you figured out my pegs are droopy from those pics (i can't tell and can't really remember, even though i rode it yesterday) :thumbsup: but i will definitely check tonight. Would you recommend a certain type of new pegs or maybe a specific source?

Wow... 3000 miles is a bit extreme... Do you fly your bike down with you or keep a bike at your destination? Why not start your own alaskan trials club and hold your own events (i bet you would come in first most of the time) :confused:

i am going to the local trials club as a guest tonight!!!! I am pretty excited, i just hope i can make a good enough impression that they invite me back as a guest regularly for the next couple of months (as i go through the process of becoming a member).

gandalf and laser are both very good at details that might get by most of us. I would go with the ryp pegs. Get your money out, they are not cheap, but you'll be glad you spent the extra money. Your bike looks great, but put some stuff on that back fender. Doll that sweet thing up some!! happy riding.

Td

I didn't see this post until today, but I didn't see any real question.. It looked like you had a handle on the situation and besides, I know practically nothing about Shercos. My guess is that the lack of responses could be similar to my reason.

Hang in there... You have some great people near you as I know many of them personally.

When it comes to Which Bike is "better" in Trials, there is NO clear cut winner.. I related as story recently about how this was demonstrated to me early in my riding career.

Good luck.. and have fun, you live in one of THE best places for Trials... I can tell you THAT much for sure! :thumbsup:

Thanks 2PLY... I hope my handle on the situation is enough :p

I know that no bike is "better"... enough newbies have tried to ask that in the XR/CBR forums I am a member of.

I agree with "my location is one of THE best" but I am biased (since I love living here) so why would you think it is the best?

I also agree with "some great people near (me)" as yesterday I was a guest at the local club and the 5 guys who took me out were all awesome/friendly/welcoming/encouraging/etc. and I could not have asked for a better first day of trials (except for the weather which was pretty wet and slippery). All five of my new riding buddies are over 40 and a couple are probably over 50 (I am 28) and I was dead at the end of our ride while they had barely broken a sweat :smirk: ... I keep telling myself to relax on the bike and loosen my grip but DAMN it is hard to do for more than 10 seconds at a time :worthy:

I can still feel the arm pump today ;)

The sticky clutch seems to be way less of an issue when I have enough ground to open it up in 4th or 5th. If I ride around the yard in 2nd (with clutch pulled in) it takes more than 5min before the clutch actually works. BUT if I ride in 5th with the clutch pulled in it works after only 30 seconds (thanks twobobrob)

Darrell: I will definitely get some decals for the rear fender (though not many as I expect I may need a new rear fender fairly soon ;) not that I dumped it hard yesterday but I did tip over a bunch and I expect to wreck at least once on this steep newbie learning curve) Maybe I will rattlecan some stuff on with stencils of images I print off the net and cut out with an exacto (done that before on my XR and it looks ok and lasts a few months)

My ride yesterday was pretty amazing, I went up stuff I never would have thought possible and didn't get into too much trouble. I am covered in bumps and bruises (and a few burns from the header) and sore as hell, but well worth it! I have been invited back for another ride on Sunday (thank god I have a few recovery days) :moon:

The sherco ran well for the 3 hours I was on it and I discovered that they have a reserve gas tank (but only after pushing it for 5 min) :busted:

What a great version of motorcycle riding this is!!! I knew as soon as I saw the youtube vids I HAD to do trials and it was everything I expected it to be and more :confused:

Thanks 2PLY... I hope my handle on the situation is enough :p

I know that no bike is "better"... enough newbies have tried to ask that in the XR/CBR forums I am a member of.

I agree with "my location is one of THE best" but I am biased (since I love living here) so why would you think it is the best?

I also agree with "some great people near (me)" as yesterday I was a guest at the local club and the 5 guys who took me out were all awesome/friendly/welcoming/encouraging/etc. and I could not have asked for a better first day of trials (except for the weather which was pretty wet and slippery). All five of my new riding buddies are over 40 and a couple are probably over 50 (I am 28) and I was dead at the end of our ride while they had barely broken a sweat :smirk: ... I keep telling myself to relax on the bike and loosen my grip but DAMN it is hard to do for more than 10 seconds at a time :worthy:

I can still feel the arm pump today ;)

The sticky clutch seems to be way less of an issue when I have enough ground to open it up in 4th or 5th. If I ride around the yard in 2nd (with clutch pulled in) it takes more than 5min before the clutch actually works. BUT if I ride in 5th with the clutch pulled in it works after only 30 seconds (thanks twobobrob)

Darrell: I will definitely get some decals for the rear fender (though not many as I expect I may need a new rear fender fairly soon ;) not that I dumped it hard yesterday but I did tip over a bunch and I expect to wreck at least once on this steep newbie learning curve) Maybe I will rattlecan some stuff on with stencils of images I print off the net and cut out with an exacto (done that before on my XR and it looks ok and lasts a few months)

My ride yesterday was pretty amazing, I went up stuff I never would have thought possible and didn't get into too much trouble. I am covered in bumps and bruises (and a few burns from the header) and sore as hell, but well worth it! I have been invited back for another ride on Sunday (thank god I have a few recovery days) :moon:

The sherco ran well for the 3 hours I was on it and I discovered that they have a reserve gas tank (but only after pushing it for 5 min) :busted:

What a great version of motorcycle riding this is!!! I knew as soon as I saw the youtube vids I HAD to do trials and it was everything I expected it to be and more :thumbsup:

HEY, REALLY, DON'T WORRY ABOUT THAT FENDER. YOU ARE GONA BEAT THE CRAP OUT OF THAT BIKE. MY FIRST ONE WAS A TXT 280 YEAR 2000. POOR BIKE, I JUST THOUGHT I KNEW HOW TO RIDE UNTIL I GOT ON THAT GAS GAS. IT PUT ME IN MY PLACE FAST!! IN 3 MONTHS IT WAS IN BAD SHAPE:banghead: SO DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE DINGS, YOU GONA HAVE THEM. JUST ENJOY THAT BIKE, THEY ARE MORE FUN THAN ANY TYPE OF MOTORCYCLE I HAVE EVER OWNED. :confused:

TD

That is a very clean bike! Congratulations! I sold my Sherco over a year ago and now I am looking for another trials bike. One that clean would bring similiar money right now down here.

Hey Bender,

I am in the same boat as you... I am new to the sport actually so new Im just shopping. I think for now I will keep my 450x but I am in the market for a used Trials bike.

Everyone in Alberta wants like 5k used. Just wondering being so close to the States did you look there for a used one? If you met any reputable dealers can you list them. I am to the point that I will drive down there and grab one if I could! Like you I don't really care what brand. For me Im either in Alberta or Vancouver so Beta or GG seem to be easier to find dealers.

Thanks

Hey Darrel, I found some scraps of blue decal in the garage and threw some on the tail fairing... it isn't pretty but at least it breaks up the solid silver.

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=94180

Thanks FuninWA... I was pretty happy with how clean and looked after the bike is. Which sherco did you have last year? Are you trying to get another sherco now or are you looking for a different brand?

Hey somethingnuw, are you in Alberta or BC (your location says BC but...)? I didn't look at buying a bike in the states, I am too lazy to deal with the paperwork/taxes involved in bringing a bike across and too scared to smuggle one over.

I found that the most used bikes are on usedvictoria.ca as apposed to craig's List, I didn't even think about buying from a dealer as my budget was $3000. I have had some interaction with GasGasPacific and they seem really great (even let me try out a trials bike for 5min in the parking lot when I showed up on my street bike). I have also heard good things about Kenco (http://www.kencomotorcycle.com/) which is also on vancouver island... I was just at their website and saw this for sale:

sherco 4stroke

If you are in Vancouver you might talk to the IOCO club

Oh... almost forgot... I saw this come up for sale today (drool)

gratuitous shot of myself in the front yard :smirk: :smirk:

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=94179

Good point.

I am trying to focus on not gripping the bars like a scared gorilla, stupid arm pump. I am having some success with training myself not to white knuckle ride so I guess the next mental block to overcome is keeping one finger on the levers.

Good habit to form. Every moto I ride I always rest 1trials or 2streetbike, fingers on the brake/clutch. That split second could be what it takes.:smirk:

I took some good advice from the fellas on here. Find a spot and ride figure 8s over and over. You want to end up doing them super, super slow and on full lock. You'll soon work out it helps to have a few more revs and ride the clutch a bit. A little front brake also helps.

Once I had a handle on them, I started pausing during the move, balancing for a spell then taking off again.

A bit boring maybe, but really helpful. And I still can't believe how tired I was after an afternoon doing that. Covering your levers will soon become second nature :smirk:

Had a good ride yesterday, I have almost got myself trained to keep a finger covering the levers (especially going down-hill) :smirk:

bar-lock turns/figure-8's aren't boring... I have been practicing those since the day I got the bike (and even before on my XL) and I practice track standing in the garage whenever possible... I have my first trial coming up on Saturday so I gotta get in as much peg-time (not seat time) as possible before then.