Sign in to follow this  

Nuts and bolts

Question for all the resourceful bikers amongst us !

Was bolting my xr motor back together today and snapped the head bolt. It's the 6x110 bolt that runs vertically down the opposite side of the cylinder from the spark plug. We were able to get out the end of the bolt and the threads appear fine. I am hesitant to start the bike up for it's initial run without this bolt in place even though the other bolts above that go through the cam holder do most of the work holding things in place.

My question is what's a good local resource for nuts and bolts ? I am surrounded by car quests and ace hardwares all of the major chains. The closest thing I can find is 6x100 at a kymco dealer. None of the Honda places have anything close in stock !

I am probably overlooking something simple like a bike store or something!

Fastenal might have it, but they only usually sell in larger quantities. What about Tractor Supply?...They usually have a ton of stuff. If you need the greatest site on earth to get anything you need www.mcmastercarr.com. Good luck.

I may possibly have a head bolt for an 80 but what are you working on? XR80--100--200..etc??

I ended up ordering one, hopefully it will be here by this weekend. Was trying to cut corners and pick one up locally instead of waiting on the mail :thumbsup:

I think you would have been fine with a local grade 8 bolt. Nothing special about the one that was in it... besides it broke.

I ended up ordering one, hopefully it will be here by this weekend. Was trying to cut corners and pick one up locally instead of waiting on the mail :thumbsup:

You made the correct decision, Honda loves their 'special' fasteners.