First Aid Riders

Washington

Dirt bike riding is dangerous in all its forms, yet most of us go out there with no first aid supplies or training. I would like to set up first aid teams to support the organized events that the NMA clubs put on.

Teams would consist of three members who would train to develop good single track skills and receive certified first aid and CPR training.

In support of enduros one team would enter the course a minute behind the last long course riders and another team would enter the course a minute behind the last short course riders.

In support of poker and fun runs one team would enter the course 1/2 hour after the first riders and another team would enter the course right after the last riders.

Our service would be free of charge and the First Aid Riders would sign the same release forms that the competitors do to protect the clubs interests.

If you would like to help out, please PM me.

Thats an excellent idea and way overdue. I cant say how many times I have come upon an iffy situation and had no clue what to do. Schedule permitting would love to be included. Are we talking all events we would like this for or some scheduled ones in particular?

If enough riders get involved we should be able to do it for all events other than full blown races. I think the off road series does have some first aid or paramedic support at their events.

I am a "former" paramedic and a certified CPR/First Aid instructor for both the American Heart Association and the Red Cross (mostly use the red cross program because its the most recognized). I would definitely be interested in riding with such a group and would also be willing to set up some classes for any folks needing certifications. I would do the "instructional" part of the class free for clubs and riders would just need to buy the class materials (for the book, card, etc it comes to like $15 bucks total)....

How to your propose to get this "up and running" and comminicate with clubs who need the service?

PM sent, I think it sounds like a great idea.

I am a "former" paramedic and a certified CPR/First Aid instructor for both the American Heart Association and the Red Cross (mostly use the red cross program because its the most recognized). I would definitely be interested in riding with such a group and would also be willing to set up some classes for any folks needing certifications. I would do the "instructional" part of the class free for clubs and riders would just need to buy the class materials (for the book, card, etc it comes to like $15 bucks total)....

How to your propose to get this "up and running" and comminicate with clubs who need the service?

I envision this being formed as an NMA club that supports the other club events. I am retired army with experience both as an instructor in the NCO ranks and a Plans and Training Officer in the commisioned ranks. I am also a past president of the NMA and have many contacts within the organization.

Between us we have all the experience necessary to put this plan in action.

I have property perfectly suited for training purposes. MY first aid and CPR certification has expired but it will all be review for me when I take the training again.

Another experienced rider who is also currently first aid and CPR certified has contacted me so the three of us can be the first team. We can be up and running shortly after we get together for the first time. I will PM you tonight.

Highly qualified dirtbike riders with professional CPR/first aid training and experience have expressed interest in supporting this plan. It might even be possible to put our first team in operation for the Wet Duck Poker Run this weekend.

Highly qualified dirtbike riders with professional CPR/first aid training and experience have expressed interest in supporting this plan. It might even be possible to put our first team in operation for the Wet Duck Poker Run this weekend.

:thumbsup::confused:

This is coming together and we will be at the Wet Duck Poker Run this Sunday. Look for riders wearing orange safety vests with our logo on the front and "First Aid Riders" on the back.

Anyone interested in being involved can contact us at firstaidriders@live.com.

Riders do not have to be cpr/firstaid certified to help get this project under way but would be expected to become certified as you ride and train with us.

In event of serious injry the basic plan of operation at this point is that two team team members would perform life saving procedures if necessary while one other member would establish contact with 911 if possible.

Then one member would stay with the victim while the other two would ride out and guide the the first responders back to the scene.

The team would then assist the first responders in getting the victim out of the woods if needed.

The worst probable situation all us single track riders live with is being seriously injured in a remote location where the 911 responders will first have a difficult time finding us and then have to get the victim out by hand on a stretcher.

That is the primary situation we will train to be of service in.

For anyone interested in joining us and living near the Tahuya Forest note that certified CPR/first aid training will be conducted at the Belfair Fire Station, 460 NE Old Belfair Hwy, on Saturday May 21, from 9 AM to 4 PM with a break for lunch. The fee is $30. The certificate will be good for two years.

Students must pre-register by phone at 360-275-6711. Ask for Heather. Payment can be made the day of the classes via cash or check. No credet cards.

This is an After Action Review of our first attempt to support an NMA event. I think things went well for an operation that was little more than an idea 10 days ago. We are only in the recruiting stage of this plan yet we had two First Aid Riders support this event. One First Aid Rider went out with the first batch of bikes and I followed on with the last batch of bikes. My impression is that it would be best to have individual First Aid Riders riders mixed in with contestants as well as designated teams that would ride as a team. There seems to be ample interest in having qualified first aid available on the trail, and I am hoping that we can get enough support.

I think there would be no problem with contestants in enduros and poker runs also being First Aid Riders. Anyone riding for NMA points in the enduro series could be awarded work points for an event that they stopped to help an injured rider in.

The three man teams would still be needed to get 911 first responders to the scene in the event of serious injuries. We could have both.

Anyone interested can PM me or contact us via e-mail at: firstaidriders@live.com

I made contact with the Mason County Fire District that responds to aid calls in the Tahuya. They are highly concerned with the ORV injuries that occur in the Tahuya. The fire fighter I talked to is pleased with the First Aid Rider plan and will work with us to make sure we are all on the same sheet of music as our plan develops.

Edited by oldgrunt
spelling error

We will be at the Puget Sound Enduro Riders Fun Run on the 28th and 29th of May and the Cascade Family Black Bear Enduro on June 12th. Look for riders wearing orange safety vests with our logo on the front and "First Aid Riders" on the back.

Edited by oldgrunt
Add sentence.

We treated one young woman for first and second degree burns from an exhaust pipe on Saturday and supplied a young lad who was beginning to dehydrate with water on Sunday. Both were well pleased to have this aid arrive in the middle of nowhere when they found thmselves in need. There was also an injury in the staging area to a man just loading his motorcycle on his truck or trailer. He was helped by a PSER club member.

We were told about other injured riders but did not come across them.

My thanks go the Shawn Lins who served as a First Aid Rider, Andrew Dayton of Event Medical Services Northwest who has offered his extensive experience to help build this operation, and Dr. Monti Sorem who has offered to fill our need for a subject matter expert to help develop our training program. Dr. Sorem is also an EMT, a volunteer fire fighter and a hard core enduro rider. His knowledge and experience will be invaluable to us.

Happy trails to all of you. :smirk::smirk::prof:

Edited by oldgrunt
grammar

It was good to see you out on the trail at Shelton. If you figure out what sort of comms would work well for the First Aid Riders group I'd like to donate a few clams toward their purchase.

Your generosity is greatly appreciated. If you email us at fistaidriders@live.com I will put you on our contact list and you will be kept informed of our plans and progress. You can choose how you want to be involved as we grow.

good job dutch! For as many riders as we had it was unexpectedly uneventful!

Great effort / idea :smirk:

Dutch has hit a home run! I am a first responder/rescuer and had the opertunity to ride on Saturday with Dutch as part of the First Aid Riders. I think it went very well. I wasn't sure what to expect with the large turn out and strainge weather/trail conditions. We obviously weren't able to be everywhere at once but we did encounter a couple incidents that we were able to respond to and bring some relief to a couple riders out there this weekend. This weekend was an opertunity to evaluate supplies and measures that need to be in place in order to improve our abilities and enhance our first aid responce. I also want to thank PSERs for their overwhelming support. They always put on a great event and eagerly support efforts to improve safety. And a big "thank you" to all the riders out there that we encountered along the way. Their support was great. Thanks again and I hope to see you at comming events.:smirk:

Shawn Lins